Alaloth - Announced

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
GameWatcher reports on a press release for Alaloth: Champions of the Four Kingdoms. The game will appear sometime during 2019. Screenshots at the link.

Alaloth - Champions of the Four Kingdoms is a confusing pitch at first. Developed by Gamera Interactive with the help of Chris Avellone, it looks like it'll have the pedigree of a modern CRPG, while banking heavily on its real-time "souls-like" combat mechanics.

Centring its plot (quite literally) around the titular demonic entity, players will be tasked with finding a way to defeat the ever-looming threat over an ever-diminishing timeframe, forcing them to keep moving forward even when they're unprepared in this way or the other.

[...]
Thanks Farflame!

More information.

while banking heavily on its real-time "souls-like" combat mechanics.
Pass every time I hear those words, but I'll wait and see.

Any type of game can profit from a good story. Just look at Starcraft or F. E. A. R. and those are genres that aren't usually story heavy. But I am also not into Souls like combat, so I am also not the target audience for this game.

So, I assume you saw the screenshots? It's isometric view. How could the combat be similar to Dark Souls using this view?

What exactly does Souls-like combat mean to you guys?

It's not confusing. Melee combat, regardless of weapon type, in Baldurs Gate involves right clicking on an enemy then the combat plays out automatically. This probably works better in a party based game like BG.

Souls-like in this context suggests probably 1 click per melee attack, pressing a button to hold up your shield, pressing a button to roll out of harms way (if you're in light enough armour) and in a game where you control a single character this probably works better.

So, which method is closest to the combat in ELEX? Witcher3?

It's really just active or passive.

Souls-like combat is far removed from souls-like everything else and it was not invented by Dark Souls. Almost every 3rd person RPG has had active combat. Neverwinter nights didn't. Gothic did. Etc, etc.

If you don't want to hold up a shield then don't use one. If you don't want to use evasive rolls then wear heavy armour. Be a wizard or an archer. There's really nothing restrictive or scary about "souls-like" combat.

Last edited:
this is doooooooope. isometric love.
and souls like equates to complexity and the ability of users to express themselves creatively during combat. combat becoming a puzzle in itself that keeps changing.
immortal unchained is great for the shooter spectrum

and souls like equates to complexity and the ability of users to express themselves creatively during combat. combat becoming a puzzle in itself that keeps changing.
immortal unchained is great for the shooter spectrum
Sounds like every thing I hate about Dark Souls and all of it's various clones. At this time it's just a buzz word every developer loves to use to cash in on the genre.

It's the same thing that happened with all the Diablo clones from the 90's & early 2000's.
So, I assume you saw the screenshots? It's isometric view. How could the combat be similar to Dark Souls using this view?
I did that's why I said I'll wait and see as this game has my interest. I just want to wait for gameplay, and more details to be shared online. Hopefully it's like you said.

Games don’t exist for me until I can see gameplay, so I guess I’ll check back then.

Initial vibe is it will be much more diablo like than souls like, but again I’ll wait for gameplay.

GamerHubTV has a new gameplay interview.

Back
Top Bottom