Alaloth - Development Update

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Henriquejr spotted development update #4 for Alaloth: Champions of The Four Kingdoms:

Development Update #4 - Creating Real Time VFX in Alaloth

Let it burn!

The role of VFX is very important in every video game, because they communicate a lot about the things that are happening within a game's world, from simple rain to a pool of acid, creating and saying what can be good or dangerous, alive or static. Our VFX, are generally divided into two macro categories, environments and gameplay effects.
Environments were introduced in Dev Update #2, which explains how, in order to create a live and realistic environment, VFX such as fire, fog, and particles are added. After the bake phase, every single VFX is moved to the final scene in order to have a living scene with fire, water, dust, lava, all weather events, and much more rather than just a static texture.
All environmental VFX derive from a common base: for example, each type of dust or flame starts from a base VFX and our team is able to create variants based on the scene in which it will be placed, changing color, size, duration, etc.

[...]
More information.

I for one can not wait to play this game.:excited:

Can someone please explain to me what feature of this game excites you? I'm genuinely curious. I did a bit of reading but I'm not getting special vibe (I'm not big on Souls game and I can't really see how this will work well as Souls-like game).

Basically because it's another Isometric RPG that makes combat more challenging. They compare the combat to Dark Souls, but it's really about check and balances.

You need to use a variety weapons, skills, or magic to defeat your foes. If you're interested the developer did a reedit AMA this week, It was posted in the news-bits.

Link - https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/919360/view/5202188184764665156

Some older videos from last year also to watch.

Alaloth First Look: Isometric Souls-Like RPG Preview

Alaloth Gamescom 2020 Gameplay Trailer

Alaloth RPG - gameplay & preview

Last edited:
Was checking the steam hub to see if this is still vaporware and
https://steamcommunity.com/app/919360/discussions/0/3038228110739849478/
ofc might not be true but signs are not good
Yep one anonymous employee who shan't be named is correct.:lol:

Here's the developer response.
Hey there! Just a quick note about this: no one in the team had [months] of Skype calls with anyone outside the team, except with our publisher of course :)

Our team members haven’t even used Skype for a long time, Discord only
Despite that, we have to say that the post made us smile because, in a way, it does summarize the situation… though, with some caveats

True, autumn/fall is always a crowded period and a lot of cool games are coming out as usual. As we said many times, the development is important but it's even more about business plans, marketing and so on and we have a super cool partner taking care of everything. That said, the launch decisions involve many parties and we can't decide anything without considering all options and listening to all sides. We know about other games to be released and we are going to carefully weight all of this for the final sprint

True, the game is not ready yet We have a few bugs [completely standard] but nothing that would require us to rework or redesign anything. The game simply grew in scope and so it takes longer to get things done. For sure releasing an enjoyable game is what we are aiming for

True, no release date yet, but we are now preparing a general update [not a standard dev update] with things going on. We know we've been silent for a while now but hey, it's how it works
Now having posted that I agree the lack of updates is concerning.

Yeah, that's a large blob of text that doesn't convey much. I was thinking this game would really be something, I hope I'm wrong and something does get released at some point. At least they're talking about launching, so I'm hoping a product does exist.

Back
Top Bottom