Alaloth - Early Access Release

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Alaloth: Champions of The Four Kingdoms will be released as Early Access version today:

Alaloth: Champions of The Four Kingdoms - Trailer

Set in a vibrant fantasy world, Alaloth: Champions of The Four Kingdoms offers fast paced action with a deep narrative, developed by a team of industry veterans. The game brings the Action-RPG dynamics to a new level with a skill based gameplay in a gritty, dark, mature environment filled with blood and magic!

GAME FEATURES

• The very first isometric souls-like game ever made: instant action, fun and a unique hardcore combat system to master. Intense combat and dungeon diving granted
  • 4 playable races (Humans, Elves, Dwarves, Orcs)
  • 40+ houses and clans to fight for with their own background, alliances, intrigues. Finish the game once to start your own legacy to write your own history in The Four Kingdoms
  • In-game editor to customize your character choosing different Ways of Power, classes and skills
  • 12 memorable companions with their own backstories ready to join or fight you during your journey
  • Local Multiplayer & Coop up to 4 players: group with other players or fight them to get access to the final battle. The glory awaits only the bravest!
  • Explore, craft, gain reputation and unlock new quests in an ever-changing world that is different in each run
  • World, lore and character backstories created in collaboration with RPG legend Chris Avellone, providing creative support and feedback on content design
  • Beware the dragons

More information.

I said wasnt gonna buy this but the price is really good in my region so i got it; but will wait for people to finish it and if it takes little time for that, will refund it. On the store page, it says sp campagin is finished.

Anyone playing it yet?

Yep, I've played 2 hours. Enough time to post some first impressions.

I picked the version of the campaign that has other AI heroes also on the main quest so I guess you can lose if they win the game before you. Sort of like Moonstone.

I picked a Human, sword and shield starting weapon, some House, Neutral alignment, the god of beauty.

It seems to be aimed at controllers but my batteries are dead so I've been playing KB+M which controls well in combat but navigating the inventory and stuff is a little awkward since there's no mouse cursor. Keyboard only. It's like Q and E will switch tabs. WASD, F to select, ESC to go back. The most annoying part is changing equipment which requires you to hit ESC after you select what sword to equip.

The combat is pretty good. I've only tried sword and shield then I swapped out the shield for a second sword which I think I prefer. I tried a staff expecting it to shoot fireballs or something but its just a melee weapon that does some extra magic damage.

So, you start in a town, grab some quests, enter the world map and walk to a Fighting Area which is a combat dungeon. Win it and you capture the point and get reputation and treasure and stuff. I'm not really sure what this does but the other AI champions can do it too.

There's other places on the map that are not Fighting Areas but the few I've visited were mostly empty. I assume I need to meet some other conditions. Maybe progress a quest or you can "wait for night" before entering them, too. Also, there's phases of the moon. Maybe some areas are empty unless its a full moon or something. I've got a lot to discover.

It's not the type of RPG where you spend a lot of time looking in 100s of containers and finding junk or spending a lot of time in dialogues. Fighting Areas will have maybe 3 or 4 glowing loot on the ground to collect. Maybe monsters drop some crafting materials, but they don't give XP. I think you get levels just by clearing the FAs then you can put a small amount of points in stats, traits and skills. Dialogues are brief and either from quest NPCs, lore NPCs or other champions.

I do wish locations you have quests in had a marker on the world map so I didn't have to read the quests. It does have a marker for returning finished quests. I'd also really like a quick way to exit from anywhere in town to the world map and not have to run to the exit. But it's not too bad. Town hubs are fairly small. There's a shared stash in all towns too, which is nice.

edit: Oh, wait. Locations with quests have a white diamond to mark them. :)

Also, found a companion which made things a lot easier.

Last edited:
Thanks for your impressions, Sir James, as I've been looking forward to seeing what folks here think about it. I know I'll be playing it at some time, yet never mind knowing what others might think beforehand.

I saw in the video that the MC is always fighting alone. Yet the Steam page says that there are "12 memorable companions with their own backstories, ready to join or fight you during your journey". How does that work?

And also in what way is it a "souls-like game"? To me it look rather like Diablo.

I really like the visuals and the general tone.

According to this early video review and a few friends I'll wait to play it.

Check Out - Alaloth: Champions of the Four Kingdoms

Talking a bit about Alaloth after it's initial early access release!
Basically just fetch quests and a boring sandbox world. Also it's best played with a controller so bad PC controls. Not surprised given it's troubled development.

And also in what way is it a "souls-like game"? To me it look rather like Diablo.

I'm curious about that too. I thought the combat was just click and auto-attack Diablo style, but maybe it's more than that.

I'm actually downloading it now, so I'll be trying it at some point today if time allows.

Back
Top Bottom