Anyone tried Veloren, an open-source voxel RPG?

Ripper

Зичу Вам успіхів

Looks like an interesting open-source RPG project. It's pretty much in the open-source equivalent of early access, and the latest builds are there to download. Not a style that particularly appeals to me, but what they've done is quite impressive.

First time I hear about it.

In Rust no less, it's not a common choice for games. It makes sense for the server, good performance, more secure and less risk of memory leaks.

Interesting project but it's not my style either.

Rust for games seems to be popular with some devs. There's also now the Bevy engine, which seems to have a healthy community.

Oh I've heard about and even did a few news-bits many years back. It never got my intrest as it was aimed at multiplayer players. Not a fan of voxel sprite graphics either.

Yeah, the Minecraft style doesn't really appeal to me, but I can see the sense in it for a project like this - so quick and cheap to create assets and content. The systems seem quite rich, and I think the voxel open world does have its charm.

It seems to have a single player mode, now.

Rust for games seems to be popular with some devs. There's also now the Bevy engine, which seems to have a healthy community.

That's pretty interesting, thanks for the link!

I saw that it was supported by Godot too.

It must be more difficult for a developer to use this language for games, where you tend to get a "sea of data" with objects pointing to one another rather freely, something Rust doesn't like much. But it's all about the learning curve after all. :D

It looks almost identical to Cube World. Hopefully it ends up being better.

I initially thought Cube World looked really neat, but it ended up being very average and was never really fleshed out.

Yeah, I don't know Cube World, but I saw something about that petering out, and this being the result of the community deciding to do a better version for themselves.

Back
Top Bottom