Archquest

jrocket

Watcher

Archquest is an RPG that combines immersive first-person exploration with tactical combat based on tabletop rules. The idea for this game came about while I was replaying some old Gold Box games and I thought that there aren't a whole lot of games these days that do it this way. First-person is ideal for exploration, but not so great for party-based combat. For that, the best way to do it is turn-based. So, why not combine both, just like Gold Box did?

I have been developing this game for about a year and a half and made quite a lot of progress. Here are some of the features I have done:

-Character creation with Race-as-a-class
-Inventory and paper doll system
-Turn based combat system based on PF2 RPG
-Vancian magic system with spell memorization mechanics
-Custom branching dialog system

I am planning to release a small tech demo in June.

Last edited by a moderator:
Embedding is working. I corrected your post. All you need between the YouTube tags is the 11 characters, in this case: 2XqJ20akuCg

You can't edit your post because you have not reached 7 posts yet. (Sorry about the delay in approving your post).

Usually not a fan of first person dungeon crawls but I love how you combined first person exploration with tactical combat. Look forward to reading future updates on your game.

First, great name. It immediately stands out in the middle of all those typical "Gorendar: The Return of Shadowcasters"-like complicated verses. Meanwhile, it is unique enough so that you are on top of Google searches. Good job on this one.

Secondly - I like the dynamic mix of first-person/isometric viewpoints - exactly for the reasons you mentioned. I don't recall any other games doing it, so bonus points for that.

And finally, less important, but still - I like the graphics (art) style - cell-shaded-ish outline-y? Pixelarty UI also seems clean, crisp, and easy to use.

What I don't feel particularly excited about is the whole underground dungeon setting overarching theme. But this is something subjective, other than that, looks good!

There aren't enough new dungeon crawlers around and this looks good.

I like the first person exploration, and like the weighty combat. Reminds me of the Realms of Arkania play-style but with insitu combat.

Is this going to be party-based?

Look forward to the demo.

I don't do grid-based games since MM5, but I wish you well. I tried a few of the later grid-based but I've migrated from those interest-wise.

This looks like something that I'd really get in to, keep up the great work. I really like how you're mixing some things up here, it could lead to a really surprisingly good product.

Thanks everyone for the comments. I have set up a Steam page where I am posting dev logs.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1664450/Archquest/

What I don't feel particularly excited about is the whole underground dungeon setting overarching theme. But this is something subjective, other than that, looks good!
No worries, there will be outdoor and urban exploration, in addition to underground dungeons and caves.

Is this going to be party-based?
Yes, up to 4 party members.

Back
Top Bottom