Assassin's Creed Origins - What made it so good?

Origin was perfect and was when the series first started it's RPG-Lite trend .What followed watered the formula down even more. Now they are doing remakes.

Last edited:
Agree I didn't enjoy Valhalla that much and the next game set in Japan doesn't interest me. Anyway doesn't matter as each new game changes for better and worse .

AC has always been one of my favorite game series. I only somewhat enjoyed the second half of AC Origins when I first played it on release but last year when I replayed it I enjoyed it a whole lot, not quite a top-10-of-all-time for me but close.

AC Odyssey on the other hand was a top 10 game for me when I played it on release. I think that the writing in Odyssey is better than in Origins or Valhalla but I'll have to relook at that when I replay AC Odyssey some year. I enjoyed AC Valhalla (without any DLC) quite a bit, probably on par with the second time I played Origins, and I'll probably replay Valhalla some year.

AC Mirage is the only mainline AC PC game I haven't purchased, since it seems like DLC of Valhalla and doesn't seem interesting enough. AC Shadows does seem interesting and I'll almost certainly purchase it, though with such a huge number of interesting games being released this year AC Shadows might be next year for me. I'm playing Ghost of Tsushima on PC now (good game) and hopefully AC Shadows won't tread too many of the same grounds.

Yeah, for me Odyssey was the best Assassin's Creed, from the ones I've played. The story was actually interesting and it was fun to explore the world, find optional mythological beasts to fight and get unique gear with cool looks/effects; the sailing felt pretty epic and immersive too.

We'll see about the upcoming games, they seem to be going back more heavily into the stealth gameplay niche which is appealing to some, and not so much to others, like me.

Odyssey was far better than Origins. Most people who prefer Origins in the new trilogy are purists who don't like the "RPG elements" of the new games.

Not a purrist as I enjoyed the first two games. Anyway pursuits would be the folks on Reddit down voting the new games. They want the series to go back to it's roots.

I do not as I hated the first few games and it's countless spin-offs.

The only Assassin's Creed games I've tried are the early ones, and I got sick of them pretty quickly.
But I've had Origins in my queue for yonks and Odyssey for a few months (on Watcher recommendations). I feel the time is almost right after bashing my head against the final Elden Ring/Erdtree boss for so long. :)

The only Assassin's Creed games I've tried are the early ones, and I got sick of them pretty quickly.
But I've had Origins in my queue for yonks and Odyssey for a few months (on Watcher recommendations). I feel the time is almost right after bashing my head against the final Elden Ring/Erdtree boss for so long. :)
Valhalla isn't well liked around here, but it's one of my favorites. I recommend that, especially if you like the setting. It's like Odyssey in its RPG-ness, has the least filler in the series (no generic clearable camps for the first time), has lots of good stories large and small, and the combat is on par with the newer entries.

You said you haven't played them for a long time, but for the reference of anyone else reading this, my favorite AC games are 2, 2:Brotherhood, Black Flag, Syndicate, Odyssey, and (obviously) Valhalla.

I initially enjoyed Origins - having not played an AC since AC2 - but it was too big, and I just ran out of steam. Really enjoyed Odyssey (loved poking around in the ancient world, and also sailing my ship ;) I finished it, but it was a bit painful since it was also to damn big....an I hate skipping content. But I ended up just following the main story eventually. Valhalla I actually liked since the setting was interesting, the DLC and mini-games for all sorts of things became tedious though. Just played and finished mirage - I actually thought it was the right size this time, and in this case the simplification worked, for me at least.

I might give it a try if my backlog runs dry, just to see what it's all about, but I'd be more inclined to try Odyssey if they ever remove Denuvo.

I like the idea of the guided tour; that's a nice touch they failed to exploit in earlier games because of the shy and unattractive format - who wants to read historical notes in the middle of action? The beautiful re-creation of those iconic environment and cities begs for a relaxing and more instructive trip, even though I'm not sure it's for the same audience.

I'm not keen on the HUD overloaded style, though. Seeing icons everywhere and big numbers on every hit breaks the immersion for me. I heard there were some settings to hide the information but I don't know if they're practical.

I might give it a try if my backlog runs dry, just to see what it's all about, but I'd be more inclined to try Odyssey if they ever remove Denuvo.
Have they removed the DRM from Origins? I have been meaning to play one of these new ones for quite some time. The last one I played was Black Flag which feels like an age ago. Tossing up between Origins and Odyssey and DRM could be enough to make me prefer the older one.

Have they removed the DRM from Origins? I have been meaning to play one of these new ones for quite some time. The last one I played was Black Flag which feels like an age ago. Tossing up between Origins and Odyssey and DRM could be enough to make me prefer the older one.
That's a good question. I thought so because it wasn't on the store page any more, but I looked again and saw it was still in the EULA. Bottom line, I don't know. I didn't see any post saying they removed it.

Has Ubisoft ever removed Denuvo from a game? They seem like one of those companies that keeps it on there. Fwiw, I've never had any issues with any of their games.

Back
Top Bottom