Assassin's Creed - PC Port

Just started reading up on this one--I must say it looks quite interesting both in style and setting. Can anyone who's played the XBox version share the camera perspective? (I'm worrying about the bobbing, mouselook type as in Bioshock and so forth, as it gives me motion sickness.)

the 4gb cap has nothing to do with Vista.

4gb is the absolute limit for any 32 bit operating system. Windows XP and Vista 32 can only recognize 3.25gb. I believe this is the same for any *Nix OS that's still 32 bit.

XP 64 and Vista 64 can comfortably handle up to 128gb. Just make sure your Motherboard is new. I'd recommend one that is said to be Vista ready and make sure its BIOS is updated. I myself was not able to install Vista 64 until I flashed my BIOS.

2gb is seriously, seriously cheap. Fry's is having a sale this week on Kingston 2gb's that are 4-4-4-12 for $50 apiece. Makes me wish I waited a month to buy my computer.

If you look at the way Flash is driving the market prices down it won't be long before that 128gb is hit.

---

On the game itself, can we expect it to be anything other than a port? Does the interface scheme now lend itself to a keyboard/mouse combination? I'm finding that even PC Gamepads don't entirely help in ported games. At least in NHL '08 they don't.

Just started reading up on this one--I must say it looks quite interesting both in style and setting. Can anyone who's played the XBox version share the camera perspective? (I'm worrying about the bobbing, mouselook type as in Bioshock and so forth, as it gives me motion sickness.)

The camera perspective is 3rd person all the way and consequently there is no bobbing to worry about. When performing a stealth kill with your hidden blade or when countering/comboing in a fight, the camera angle changes to a kind of "action/kill shot" (akin to small cutscenes). When the sequence is over the camera changes back to the default position/angle. If rapid camera angle changes also causes motion sickness for you, it might be wise to play the game in smaller portions at a time.

I'm not sure if it will be a problem but when you lock onto a target the camera is no longer under your direct control and follows your target until he/she is out of range and if you and your target are moving in opposite directions or if a guard running away from you trying to escape certain death, it might cause the camera to do a few quick movements from time to time.

However, the majority of the time the camera is floating steadily on behind you.

Thanks, fB. It's mainly the shooter style thing where you're constantly looking from side to side and everything kind of wobbles that gets me. This sounds do-able, and I love the premise ( and who doesn't want to have Ass Cred?) Hopefully they'll release a PC demo.

This game looks good from just an exploration standpoint alone, everything else will fall into place for me if they get at least that right.

This game looks good from just an exploration standpoint alone, everything else will fall into place for me if they get at least that right.

Then I think you're going to like the game. I usually only explore because I'm completist freak and feel that I HAVE to but in Assassin's Creed I really enjoyed exploring the cities and the kingdom. I'm sure it was partly because of the fluid climbing mechanics that became almost addictive over time. O_O:mellow:

Ah - I had heard about the DS delay, but this was the first mention of a PC delay I saw.

its been delayed 'til mid march for a weeks now (a few more weeks on top of that aren't too bad...) except for the fact that it now has to compete with multiple other games on my list (and i'm sure i'm not alone) one of which i've already preordered.

I always read "Assassin's Greed" ...

According to IGN, Ubisoft has just announced a March release for the PC port. Looks promising--hope I can play it. :)

Edit: Sorry--not really new info as JDR had it covered in his post. However the article at IGN mentions some new side missions in the PC version....

out of curiousity have you played any of the 3 thiefs magerette?

Looks like the evolution of the Prince of Persia games than the futher adventures of Garrett to me.

The DS version is out ... I plan to grab it tomorrow ...

out of curiousity have you played any of the 3 thiefs magerette?

No--I'm generally not very good at theivery and sneaking--or jumping across chasms while running or other PoP type stuff. Is that the focus of this game?

The focus is on sneaking - not being seen is the healthiest approach to the Thief series. While you'd better run once you're discovered, running *and* jumping chasms usually isn't an option. Garrett is not Erroll Flynn, he's more of a diva.

Thief series is still great games; just the other day i saw Thief III on bargain bin. Not sure it could run on Vista or not, anyone tried it yet?

It runs, at least under the 32 bit business version. I replayed it only last month, ran just as well as before Vista.

I read some reviews of Assassin's Creed--it looks more like Prince of Persia type stuff as woges said, than the Thief series. I'm curious as to how well they can implement all the climbing and so forth with a keyboard--though I guess I can recall a few old pc rpgs where you had to climb and jump obstacles...a lot will depend for me on how good the controls are.

Back
Top Bottom