Assassin's Creed Valhalla - Steam Release: December 6

160 GB disk space, Denuvo and Ubisoft launcher, what's not to like? ;)

I thought this game had released two years ago, by the way. Is that just about the Steam release (but still with the Ubisoft launcher)? I don't get it.

Still, it's ridiculously big.

From what some people are discussing, Ubisoft thought they could do without Steam but finally decided to release on Steam when they saw it wasn't working as well, which would explain the long delay (though I didn't bother to check further).

Hmm..maybe but the game was on Epic/Ubisoft for two years already and mostly content complete. So this release is more of a way to make more profit off an old release.

Now if the next games are released only on Epic & Ubisoft Store then I'm correct. Which means their deals with Epic are more profitable than Steam. We'll see as the saying goes.

Anno 1800 was another Epic Store exclusive getting a Steam release as well.

Last edited:
I only wish they'd do nonviolent games with that historical accuracy. But then, they wouldn't be bought at alll, because nonviolent games are not liked by male 3D game players/gamers.

I'm not a big fan of the recent Ubi-designs on these games (with 10 million map markers and stuff to bump into and do every 3 meters in the game) but for some reason I enjoyed Valhalla a fair bit. Certainly a beautiful looking game and the combat was pretty good - and I thought the main story was good also.

The Assassin's Creed games could do to get a bit smaller, but Valhalla worked better for me than Odyssey in that regard because each region has its own story arc.

I'm not a big fan of the recent Ubi-designs on these games (with 10 million map markers and stuff to bump into and do every 3 meters in the game) but for some reason I enjoyed Valhalla a fair bit. Certainly a beautiful looking game and the combat was pretty good - and I thought the main story was good also.
I wouldn't call their design style recent. They've been doing things pretty much the same way since Far Cry 3.

I played Valhalla for a weekend when it was a free trial. It is a beautiful world for sure, but it didn't grab me enough to make me want to play through the whole thing.

I wouldn't call their design style recent. They've been doing things pretty much the same way since Far Cry 3.

I played Valhalla for a weekend when it was a free trial. It is a beautiful world for sure, but it didn't grab me enough to make me want to play through the whole thing.
Sure, but it felt to me like the recent Assassin's Creed games really started bumping up the density of things a lot.

Yuhuu! (sarcasm). This game is killed by the filler. So much lost potential. If they actually had good story-telling, the hundreds of game hours would perhaps not be waste of time, but no. Such a waste for everyone involved.

What can the industry learn from this: focus on the story-telling, not necessarily on the story (i.e. how instead of what) like Rockstar and CDPR does; and do not make too long games without meaningful context. One more: good story-telling requires the illusion of urgency. There has to be an NPC or a general story-arc to nag you to focus on the main content. No punishment if you do not, but the nagging improves the immersion.

Might be only me, though, but I do not have the patience nor the interest to keep on playing games like this. Would be nice to see a fresh start from these devs. They make great mechanics but lack on the story-telling part, which should be relatively easy to nail. Just hire decent writers.

I have enjoyed all of the Assassin Creed series main games, including the 3 most recent with Origins, Odyssey (my favorite), and Valhalla. In my view the storytelling is one of the strong points of these games, and as I'm playing its 100-150 hours I'm always looking forward to the next story arc or main mission story advancement.

In these games, and many other open world games, there is a not small amount of filler and part of my enjoyment is in being able to determine what to skip so that I rarely spend more than a minute on something I look back on as filler. However, I imagine that everyone has their own view of what constitutes filler.

I played and finished AC Odyssey and Valhalla, but there is simply too much stuff to do - like the witcher 3. And a lot of the content is very similar. In Valhalla, you generally ended up having to build influence by conquest - taking some fortress in each shire...rinse repeat, same kinds of tactics, enemies etc. In the end I took most of them, then finished the main story arc and stopped. It become drudgery.

Good to see they caved and will hopefully bring the rest to steam also.
Yeah, but we still have to run Ubisoft Connect to play the game, which, to me, sort of defeats the purpose of bringing them to Steam.

I don't care about achievements, I just want to have most of my games on the same platform and not have to run multiple launchers simultaneously.

Probably at full price lol, i will play it when they bring ubifsoft+ on steam

Origins is by far my favorite. Unity is pretty good also. Maybe Odyssey is fun but I don't care for the setting and other reasons. I bought Valhalla on Xbox and barely played it. I'm interested but honestly will probably wait for a deep discount on Steam because it sucks not being able to add mods.

Back
Top Bottom