Avernum 5 - Update

There are three names - Jeff, his wife and an assistant. But in terms of who programs and writes and comes up it all - all Jeff

The programming component of software is actually normally the smallest part unless it has been coded in an inefficient manner, it's the artwork/graphics and design that take most of the time/space.

While I was complaining about the graphics a little, thats not to say I don't enjoy the games (I have a level 37 character in Geneforge 4 at the moment) and I am happy the graphics are improving slowly overtime. I hope he does a bit of work on the GUI too (I've always thought you should be able to press "g" or "i" a second time to be able to close the inventory screen).

I'm glad you clarified that. Obviously, anyone is entitled to enjoy (or not) anything they like but I get a little frustrated that the RPG "community" (speaking very broadly) often complains there aren't any hardcore/classic style RPGs then dismisses Spiderweb (and others) over the graphics. His games certainly aren't perfect but he consistently addresses our niche and I wish they were more widely played.

Why is pretty-but-bland so often preferred over not-so-pretty-but-good-gameplay? That's a rhetorical question - no need to actually answer.

Why is pretty-but-bland so often preferred over not-so-pretty-but-good-gameplay? That's a rhetorical question - no need to actually answer.

I'm with you on that 100%.

Especially those who consider themselves "hardcore" RPGers, should give Spiderweb and other Indie software companies games a try. If you are able to get yourself past the "must...have...shiny...graphics..." mentality, you will find some great games.

I'm having one of the greatest times I've had with a CRPG in recent history while playing Avernum 4. It has taken all of my gaming time for almost 2 months and I'm nowhere near finished. AND... the game is so good that I know I will finish it. How many times do we get great looking games that we don't finish because we get bored. Shiny new graphics and "next-gen" gameplay will never be able to beat imagination and a great story (for me anyway).

Back
Top Bottom