Baldur's Gate 2 - Retrospective Review

I have not played beyond the first dungeon in BG2, but finished BG1 only recently and enjoyed it immensly. The exploration was excellent for me - restarted 3 times and discovered different areas/npcs/consequences each time. No nostalgia here, but BG1 is a top-tier quality rpg for me.

I much, much rather have one inventory than 4. It's one of my biggest gripes in the Divinity games. It just feels like sometimes I'm playing "Inventory The Game".
Did I put the Obsidian Blade on Fane or was it on Sebille ? Oh no, maybe it was on the Red Prince. Ah now I found it I need the Magical Saucer of Infinity, let me find that one.

It really adds no value in my book and just makes things harder than it should be.

I enjoy BG1 a lot but it still doesn't rival BG2 for me. The level of detail in BG2 is incredible, every inn/shop/house has at least one unique encounter. It's great for adventurers but I do wonder how the citizens of Amn survive day-to-day. Cults and Beholders in their sewers, Liches in their Inns, Slavers, Vampires in their Graveyard etc etc. Every location is full of epic encounters!

In my last playthrough of BG1 as a fighter mage playing solo I got to near max level in less than an hour. It's great how the game can be played so many different ways and there is so much optional content in both of them. Not only that but the optional content is very meaningful and they almost always have great writing, design and fat loot.

I much, much rather have one inventory than 4. It's one of my biggest gripes in the Divinity games. It just feels like sometimes I'm playing "Inventory The Game".
Did I put the Obsidian Blade on Fane or was it on Sebille ? Oh no, maybe it was on the Red Prince. Ah now I found it I need the Magical Saucer of Infinity, let me find that one.

It really adds no value in my book and just makes things harder than it should be.
Bunch of damn casuals around here nowadays. What happened to this place? ;)

It was very good for its time, and remembered fondly, especially the music, beautifully rendered backgrounds, and voice acting.

I am happier to have played the entries in the NWN series (which were the kind of games I had envisioned already wanting to exist even as I played through the BG series the first time, fortunately for me NWN came out only 2 years later~), and at the time of this writing Owlcat's Pathfinder titles do everything better.

Also, I randomly found this AI-powered Jon Irenicus YT nonsense, hilarious.
:LOL:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom