Baldur's Gate 3 - An RPG Gamechanger

I actually believe it will be from what I've seen so far. It's a generational leap over not only many current rpg's, but it makes the original Baldur's Gate games, which I loved and have been playing since release, look amateurish in comparison. They don't just throw a spell list around with little consideration as to be anything but combat numbers, they really get into the bones of how magic would be used in this world, how skills would change things like interactions with npcs or navigating the environment. They've done it in ways I've simply never seen before. Even Divinity OS 1 and 2 only scratched the surface of what they've done here. The verdict is out until the game releases, but having played almost every rpg within reason since I first got into the genre with Ultima 3, I don't think I've seen anything with this kind of depth.

I've played the EA, and I must have missed what makes it a generational leap over current games. No offense, but that sounds like pure fanboy talk.

Don't get me wrong. I think it's going to be very good, and I'm looking forward to the full game, but there was nothing in that first chapter that made me think it was on a different level than everything else.

@JDR13 - absolutely agree. I gave up on the EA, but I'm hoping that somehow they will produce a game worthy of the '3'. I admit I burned out on the EA, but seeing all the poor decisions Larian have made with design I really have lost interest. There is still too much "DOS" in BG3 - even now, after 2 (?) years. I guess that makes sense from a business perspective, but it is disappointing nonetheless and not what I hoped for. To be honest, I think the scope of this project is beyond them - and it is burdened by history and very high expectations.

Yeah that's definitely a click bait title for a video. Like said already I'm sure it will be a good game when it's finished, but nothing genre changing. That honor belongs to Elden Ring.

Man that game has sold almost 17 million copies in a year. ;p

I don't know what exactly game-changing is supposed to mean but I'm not sure I care. There is nothing revolutionary in BG3 but it makes many things extremely well, if that brings more adepts of the genre and if it pushes other devs to do better, it's all good.

I haven't played it but I suppose it's the same for Elden Ring.

It's still in "Early Access". I personally can't take a game serious until it is out of that stage. I hope I like it. I'm definitely going to get it when it is out of Early Access. I've lived DnD since the 70's and have nothing but respect for gamers and company's that produce DnD games.

Meh I'm biased so don't take my word for it.:biggrin:

Seriously I prefer RPGs like Witcher 3, Cyberpunk 2077, and Dragon Age over tabletop TB adaptations. Anyway that's already well known on this forum, but I still play TB games.

I am a huge fan of BG3 but I would hardly call it revolutionary or RPG king, queen, or whatever. Its a great fun game and I enjoy it a lot ... and really looking forward to the final release. Even in EA it also has some good mods available on Nexus for it.

Elden Ring ... meh ... personally I would hardly call that revolutionary either. Good, solid, well made game but hardly ground breaking.

Not sure I can think of any game, for that matter, that is really ground breaking these days. Not even sure how you would classify such a thing.

I thought Disco Elysium was pretty different at least. Also Stray was a bit cool playing as a cat (but there are other games that do that as well, like that Shark one).

To be ground breaking, to me a game has to do things that no other game has done, or do things that have been done but at a level much higher than heretofore achieved. I don't see that in BG3 either, though I suppose its reactivity and variance could be at an all-time high. They talk it up a lot (though so do a lot of games) and there do seem to be a lot of details that vary based on choices, class, etc.

I've never played anything quite like Disco Elysium. I'd say that broke new ground. When games come out after your game and people call it a "your game-like" that's a clue that you may have broken new ground. I don't see anyone doing that with BG3 unless they've never played a western RPG before.

The only reason Elden Ring isn't ground breaking is because FROM already broke that ground with Demon/Dark Souls, which was absolutely ground breaking. Elden Ring is an iteration on that formula.

To be ground breaking, to me a game has to do things that no other game has done, or do things that have been done but at a level much higher than heretofore achieved.
Story.

Social interactions.

Story and social interactions have been downplayed for two decades now. Both players and developers still don't seem to want that.

In general, not specific to any game.

Story.

Social interactions.

Story and social interactions have been downplayed for two decades now. Both players and developers still don't seem to want that.

In general, not specific to any game.
No they haven't. If you are wearing filtered glasses that only focus on what you want to see to back up a personal theory maybe that is true. But there are plenty of story focused games with social interactions. Maybe more on the indie side but they are there if you look for them.

The only reason Elden Ring isn't ground breaking is because FROM already broke that ground with Demon/Dark Souls, which was absolutely ground breaking. Elden Ring is an iteration on that formula.
True, but I think Elden Ring is the superior game based on what I've played of it so far. I tried to get into Dark Souls several times, but it didn't hook me enough to finish it. Elden Ring otoh is something I'm looking forward to returning to.

True, but I think Elden Ring is the superior game based on what I've played of it so far. I tried to get into Dark Souls several times, but it didn't hook me enough to finish it. Elden Ring otoh is something I'm looking forward to returning to.
I don't prefer it to Dark Souls, but sales (and number of articles) seem to say that it clicked more with a lot of people as it did with you. Parts of Elden Ring (my favorite parts) are virtually indistinguishable from Dark Souls, but they added some gameplay wrinkles, mostly to make things a bit less tedious, and obviously an open world to put its dungeons in, and those changes seem to have elevated them from dedicated but smallish fanbase to mainstream hit.

I don't prefer it to Dark Souls, but sales (and number of articles) seem to say that it clicked more with a lot of people as it did with you. Parts of Elden Ring (my favorite parts) are virtually indistinguishable from Dark Souls, but they added some gameplay wrinkles, mostly to make things a bit less tedious, and obviously an open world to put its dungeons in, and those changes seem to have elevated them from dedicated but smallish fanbase to mainstream hit.
Well, I rarely think going more mainstream is good, but in this case I think it was. I'm not sure if that's what they were really going for though. Fromsoft has made open-world games in the past, and I think they went open-world with Elden Ring because that's the vision they had as opposed to trying to appeal to more people. It just happens to resonate with more gamers I guess.

Back
Top Bottom