Baldur's Gate 3 - Differerences to D&D 5e

I'm getting too old for this. I liked the THAC0 mechanics ;-)

I'm getting too old for this. I liked the THAC0 mechanics ;-)

THACO was cool but at a high level, it kinda got confusing. If your character had +17 to hit and the creature had a -23 AC it could get kinda confusing. Especially if you liked to have a few drinks with your friends while playing :)

I don't care about the differences myself as long as the game continues to be fun and enjoyable to play.

Longest EA in the history of mankind. I used to look forward to this game. Now it's like I'm out of shits to give. Larian did many great things, but tossing BG3 into EA wasn't one for sure.

Just release it. Or not. But leave me alone until you actually have a game for me to play.

It's never gone on sale once that I'm aware of and paying $60 for an Early Access goes against my religion. So long as it doesn't have DoS2's "the floor is lava" every fight I'll probably be happy with whatever 5e abomination they come up with.

Solasta already did a pretty solid 5e adaptation if you're looking for that.

Nobody forces you to read them.

And it's just an hypothesis, but maybe others enjoy those news. :p
Yes, others may enjoy the news. That does not mean those who are not interested have to be silent, they are free to say they are not interested, and also why they are not interested.

And you and others are free to keep sending these newsbits in, and news editors to post them.
The comments beneath a newsbit are no reflection of the amount of readers that are (not) interested in this kind of news.
There are more readers than writers.

Also, that comment is out of place in this thread, as nobody was criticising the news post itself, only how numb and tired some of us are getting at Larian prolonging this EA stage ad infinitum, where there's really nothing left to talk about that hasn't been exhausted before.

Which is an on-topic thing to say, unlike going on a tangent about what forum users should read or not.

It's never gone on sale once that I'm aware of and paying $60 for an Early Access goes against my religion.

I didn't pay as much for sure when i bought it, so it WAS on sale.
Gave one play and now i'm waiting for release or a huge chunk of new content to have another playrun.
Release after 2022 is a big disappointment for sure. Rules i dont give a fck as long as they work well.

I'm another that would vastly prefer the simplistic THACO, yet I suppose that's not going to happen here. And given what happened with Original Sin two, I will be taking a very skeptical approach to this one.

Don't really care about the news. Just here for the shit and giggles.

Let me get my popcorn.:lol:

It's never gone on sale once that I'm aware of and paying $60 for an Early Access goes against my religion. So long as it doesn't have DoS2's "the floor is lava" every fight I'll probably be happy with whatever 5e abomination they come up with.

Of course it's never been on sale. It's never been for sale yet. Not as an actually released game.

Wolfheart never seems to tire of talking about BG3. I wonder if he's actually that big a fan or if there's some kind of kickback system in play here.

I must admit I have some gripe with them never giving any discount on a game which hasn't been released. They need every penny to make it right. ;)

They have calmed down quite a bit with the AoE but there are still some, and only a few exaggerations here and there. At least last time I played. Let's hope it doesn't get out of hand indeed.

I suppose it's not contradictory with the 5E setting and rules, though it's the first D&D game I see with so many of those effects.

On the other hand, it allows the player to play with the elements like an "immersive sim" (since that's how they call it now).

I'm not too irritated by the deviations from the original ruleset, I just whish their system was more clear. Maybe it's just the UI which is awkward, and they still need to work on it quite a lot.

Fully agreed about Solasta, that was very well done. But it's a completely different game style.

I hate the whole EA thing and drip feeding of minor news but I love reading the short blurbs that get posted on RPGWatch and I love reading the comments that follow them, both the good and the bad.

I am expecting Owlcats to release another game before BG3 gets finished patching though.

Wolfheart never seems to tire of talking about BG3. I wonder if he's actually that big a fan or if there's some kind of kickback system in play here.

I think he's a convinced fan, but he's honest about his opinion. There are a few differences he doesn't entirely like, for ex. the reactions, and others that he finds better, for ex. the verbal/somatic/material components of spellcasting.

Did you see his video or his opinion in general as negative towards Larian's game?

They invited him in Belgium. For 5000 euros they got a 24/24 7/7 cheerleader who has pledged to sacrifice his firstborn the day the game will reach its first decade in EA.

Back
Top Bottom