Baldur's Gate 3 - Full Release in 2023

I was more excited by the announcement that Wizards of the Coast is resurrecting Spelljammer. I hope it leads to a crpg in that setting. They're also bringing back Dragonlance.

Do you play tabletop D&D? In person, with friends and all?

What, this isn't out yet?

So it being official is good news, both for the health of the game, and the sanity of every forum user that will see rumour mongers having their day ruined. Of course, haters are gonna hate, but in a world where we pride ourselves on freedom of speech, it's fair that they also have a voice, even if it's completely ignored by anyone that matters.

Looking forward to it. Still got some time then. And a release in 2023 also just means "Not before 2023" ;)
I'm waiting for the announcement were sorry but we need another six months or a year, and we have to post-pone the release to 2024. I've seen it happen to many times.

That's not counting all the DLC and probably an enhanced edition in the future. So some members on this board itself probably wont play it till 2025 or later. So keep waiting.:biggrin:

Didn't they announce the 2023 release in their last Panel from Hell?
At least for me that's not really new information.

I don't understand all the flake for the development time. Most AAA games take many years to be complete. It's a AAA game. Deal with it. Development is hard.

Do you play tabletop D&D? In person, with friends and all?

Nope, I'm not a PnP player, although I do like reading the books. I've always thought Spelljammer seemed like a really cool setting with a lot of potential for a crpg. There's been 1 game based on it, Pirates of Realmspace, but most accounts I've read seem to indicate it wasn't very good.

I don't understand all the flake for the development time. Most AAA games take many years to be complete. It's a AAA game. Deal with it. Development is hard.

I guess it's because the game is in EA? AAA developers don't do EAs cos it's expected from them to know how to make a good game without the help of players base…

Sometimes as a developer, I wish anybody who wanted to criticize how long it takes to do development had even a shred of a clue about how development goes - or what it takes to be a good developer. The commentary by the clueless is quite amusing.

I guess it's because the game is in EA? AAA developers don't do EAs cos it's expected from them to know how to make a good game without the help of players base…

More like they're too arrogant to think they need any input from anybody, and if you DO allow input then you either have to ignore all feedback or spend time making changes, and since most AAA is corporate and purely exists to generate profit, extending development and costs to redo things based on feedback - thus reducing profit - isn't often an option. Stockholders who contribute zero to development and who will die with more money than you'll see in 100 lifetimes need a few more pennies, yo.

I think both approaches are valid, and time has proven it.

Companies making AAA games are not taking the same risks as indies, they make streamlined games, using existing patterns that are known to please people. There's enough marketing data and it's not necessary to ask players what they want, they've already said it or shown it before.

I don't think developers are really involved in that case, it's a decision that has been made for them by other people.

Last point, using feedback does not mean spending time making change. It's actually a very efficient methodology called Agile Development used by all major companies these days.

Sometimes as a developer, I wish anybody who wanted to criticize how long it takes to do development had even a shred of a clue about how development goes - or what it takes to be a good developer. The commentary by the clueless is quite amusing.
Could say the same about your elitist opinion so right back at ya my fellow watcher. I'll continue to criticize just like you don't have to read it, or care about my opinion.;)

At least these threads are always amusing with certain opinions.:lol:

Then the sixth angel blew his trumpet and the sky exploded with blinding light. A fiery asteroid blew through the hellfire and spewing lightning strong enough to disintegrate stone blasted straight into Larian Studios' HQ building, which was completely disintegrated. Eyewitnesses report at night the ghost of Swen Vincke still screaming like a Banshee over the smoldering ruins that buried the former Baldur's Gate 3 development team!

- Oh, Noo!
Somebody else competent will have to take over the project and hopefully deliver a potent and fun Baldur's Gate 3!

Companies making AAA games are not taking the same risks as indies, they make streamlined games, using existing patterns that are known to please people. There's enough marketing data and it's not necessary to ask players what they want, they've already said it or shown it before.

That may be true, but it obviously doesn't guarantee success.

I think there's risk either way. AAA companies are also spending a great deal more money to develop their games. Imo, that sort of evens things out.

That may be true, but it obviously doesn't guarantee success.

I think there's risk either way. AAA companies are also spending a great deal more money to develop their games. Imo, that sort of evens things out.

Of course, there are many parameters and it's just one of them. There's always a risk, but trying something entirely new at that level would be very bold considering the cost.

EA and other methods based on feedback are not a guarantee either.

Not like users and their feedback is always the best either.

Back
Top Bottom