Baldur's Gate 3 - Good-Aligned Companions?

Redglyph

SasqWatch
WolfheartFPS is discussing about good companions. Contains some spoilers at the end but there is a big warning to announce them.

Baldur's Gate 3 - Do we need nicer companions?

In today's video I am going to talk about the companions, their personalities and their alignments. I will also talk about the possible future companions, and what we are missing. [...]

CHAPTERS

More information.

I quit watching about 3 minutes in. He's just regurgitating the same things that some of the fanbase were crying about earlier this year.

What's with people whining about companions not being nice enough? If you're that sensitive, go play My Little Pony or something. This is D&D, and it's not a polite setting.

Yeah, I have no problem with less likeable characters. I did end up taking Laezel in my party since I need a fighter, although I wouldn't generally fraternize with a githyanki ;-) But it makes for an interesting dynamic. What I would like is at least 1 extra party member - 4 just feels limiting (and 5E doesn't limit you to 4 - which some people claim - although encounters are balanced aroud that. You can rescale encounters). My tabletop 5E party has 5 PCs.

The less I know about BG III, the better. Because I'll still have some good surprises when the game comes out while, at the same time, I'll save myself from nasty spoilers and from this kind of empty internet discussion :)

Last edited:
I've not seen this elsewhere. Wolfheart just likes to speculate, but it would be fun to see
Minsc and Boo
Unlikely though, I bet Larian has hidden that in the game just to mislead data miners :D

Yeah, I think the characters are fine as they are. Larian already said they were the "worst" and that good-aligned characters would make their appearance.

The less I know about BG III, the better.

Yup, do yourself a favor and do not watch the video unless you know the EA content in and out. The video is full of spoilers.

I quit watching about 3 minutes in. He's just regurgitating the same things that some of the fanbase were crying about earlier this year.

I think he tries to address what the fanbase is crying about. He has to create content to earn money, you know ;) He ends up liking most companions actually. I agree that the companions are well written and multifaceted. Everybody is on the edge (for a reason) and that shows. Gives a bit of survival feeling to the game having to tackle annoying people in your party.

I've not seen this elsewhere.

There is a book about space hamsters in druids cove or Goblin camp (forgot where). Please, Larian, do not bring back Boo and Minsc. They should be dead by the time the game takes place (120 years after BG2). Also Jaheira as a companion would suck. Perhaps as an NPC somewhere similarly to Volo (who also should be dead, no? 120 years is a long time for a human).

Yup, do yourself a favor and do not watch the video unless you know the EA content in and out. The video is full of spoilers.

Yeah, got it! :eek:t that I was going to watch it, but thanks for the warning :)

If you're that sensitive, go play My Little Pony or something.

This actually exists. Shocking, isn't it ? :evilgrin:
It's an pen & paper role-playing game / setting and it is called "Tales Of Equestria".

Me, on the other hand, i get so much bored these days by all of these ... "less likeable characters".

I'm oh so much bored by all of this "dark & gritty & heavy metal" influence in modern games.

Every second game in the news promises to be more dark, more serious, more brutal, more dark, and - of course - more "mature" - whatever this is.
It is to me as if denying that changing dirty diapers is a fully "mature" tast is totally okay.

This is an enrirely NEW definition of the word "mature" : Most brutal.

What is ACTUALLY mature gets denied, because people don't want to have that in games - like dishwashing, for example.
Divinity 1 actually has it.

Thus, the term "mature" is in fact nothing but an IMAGE of what especially young people BELIEVE is "mature" : All brutality one could imagine, but no dirt, no ugly coloured sweaters, no RESPONSIBILITY for the OWN actions ... And no song like "In the Ghetto" by Elvis Presley ...

The word "mature" regarding games is nothing but some kind of Disneyland-image.
A brutal one, though, as the supporters of that image want it to be.

No "real reality", please !

"Mature" to me means characters that are - like in real life - neither completly black nor completly white but something in between.
The flawless shiny Paladin or the tree-hugger Elf are as boring to me as the always ultra evil Overlord.
So I want some gray.
If a game also has a good balance of characters leaning more to the one or the other side, then I'm happy.

Pathfinder WotR imho is a good example of quite well balanced companions. All in all they're more on the good side which is quite fitting for a story about the commander of the crusade.

Probably the single oldest "spoiler" in the history of BG3 is that a certain BG/BG2 companion would return along with his well-known "accessory," either as a joinable NPC or as a bonus "origin" character. But no one has ever come forward with reliable information proving it. The fact that said pair has been data-mined could just mean a Larian coder is following the hype and having fun with the fanbase, but fingers crossed it's more than that!

There is a book about space hamsters in druids cove or Goblin camp (forgot where). Please, Larian, do not bring back Boo and Minsc. They should be dead by the time the game takes place (120 years after BG2). Also Jaheira as a companion would suck. Perhaps as an NPC somewhere similarly to Volo (who also should be dead, no? 120 years is a long time for a human).

Both
Volo and Minsc+Boo
are canonicaly alive and well in 5E. One was Imprisoned for a century, the others were turned to stone and turned back to flesh due to a chaotic magic misshap.

Back
Top Bottom