Baldur's Gate 3 - Interview with Swen @PC Gamer

I really love both Baldur's gate and played most of rtwp and tb crpg's. But every time the worst part of the game is big city. It is to much loading, entering every house and talking with to much people, and remembering every location and trying not to miss something important (I like to finish 100% of the quest and find all secrets).
Also I cant play any more 24/7 like like when I was younger because of jobr/wife/kids, so sometimes days pass before I start playing again and returning to big city after few days outside of the game is really traumatic experience.
A usually do not like when game babysits you and holds your hand while playing, but I really appreciate that in big city.
I agree with the stress about having too much to keep track of with less time to play. Now that my kids are (soon) 8 and 12 I have a lot more time to play, but it can still be once a week sometimes, unless I neglect to spend time with my wife. :)

Still, I played BG2 before Christmas and it was lovely to explore it again, even though it was hard to keep track of what I'd done and where I'd explored. I used the map markers frequently to see where I'd been.

I really hope they do well! This is my most anticipated game to come out in awhile. Everything I have seen so far, and I have 112 hours in EA, has been simply amazing. The game is so good I even like the TB combat in it.

I will say that one thing I do like is that it feels like a good balance between combat and other things to do, at least in the EA. So that while the TB is time consuming you at least have other things to do as well.

I am finished with colossal games that take hundreds of hours and hundreds of GB of space - don't have the time, energy or hardware for them anymore. Would be very satisfied with 20 - 40 hour dense game with excellent story, choices and consequences, and ultimately role-playing freedom for replayability.

I quite like BG1 due to the freedom of exploration with good mix of cities (don't like cities too much, overwhelmed with NPCs that I have to talk to instead of adventuring and discovering).

This game looks like it'll be way too well developed, made with a lot of care and count with state-of-the-art technologies, and besides, it will be made by a company that became successful too recently, we don't like those here. If it didn't become successful in the 80's or the 90's, when there was no competition and making video games was barely a professional activity, then it's all a product of marketing and social media, with no merit whatsoever. They won't get me with their awesome games and pretty graphics, fleshed-out character creation, dynamic storytelling, choices that lead to character growth and development, professional voice acting, crispy and clean controls and so on.

I feel the urge to announce to all of you that if the game has certain modern features I don't like, I won't play it. I know you don't care, the developers don't care, hell, my mother doesn't care. But there I said it, so you all damn well keep it in mind. I hereby hold Larian in ransom with this threat that I intend to follow through - change it to be the way I want it to be, or I won't play it, and stubbornly make its number of sales dwindle from dozens of millions of copies to the same minus one - you have been warned.

I remember in the olden days when games were good. These days it's all about making games too fun, and I refuse to move on with the times.

Oh, wow. People dare to hope for what they liked in some older games in its direct sequel. How bad of them.

Seriously, girl, this is starting to get tedious. If that was your aim, bravo! But I really don't think trolling, ridicule and edginess are what the Watch is about.

I really love both Baldur's gate and played most of rtwp and tb crpg's. But every time the worst part of the game is big city. It is to much loading, entering every house and talking with to much people, and remembering every location and trying not to miss something important (I like to finish 100% of the quest and find all secrets).
Also I cant play any more 24/7 like like when I was younger because of jobr/wife/kids, so sometimes days pass before I start playing again and returning to big city after few days outside of the game is really traumatic experience.
A usually do not like when game babysits you and holds your hand while playing, but I really appreciate that in big city.

I loved the city in Baldur's Gate and Athkatla in BG2. I can understand how some people might find them overwhelming, but I thought they were quite impressive at the time. They were content-dense areas with lots of encounters and places to explore.

I've never had a problem remembering where specific locations and people are in such places. You can always make notes if you need to.

I've backed BG3 hoping its going to be huge, the bigger, longer the better.
I have 331hrs in DOS1, another 340hrs in the enhanced edition and 540hrs in DOS2,
I don't think Larian will disappoint.

I asked Vincke where he thinks BG3 fits within the broader D&D landscape, in all its forms, and the answer came easily. "The benchmark incarnation of 5th Edition in a videogame,"

:thinking:

I'm not saying it's bad because it's not, but they modified it enough to disqualify as a "benchmark". Solasta remains the reference so far.

I've backed BG3 hoping its going to be huge, the bigger, longer the better.
I have 331hrs in DOS1, another 340hrs in the enhanced edition and 540hrs in DOS2,

I'm sure it won't since making games that drag out longer than they need to has always been their specialty. ;)

Oh, but they will disappoint for sure.
Perhaps not you and me, but a lot of other gamers. That cannot be prevented with a sequel to a franchise that is emotionally so loaded and romanticized like only a few other franchises are.

:thinking:

I'm not saying it's bad because it's not, but they modified it enough to disqualify as a "benchmark". Solasta remains the reference so far.

That doesn't mean it may not end up as the best implementation of D&D 5e in a videogame, in the same way that a movie script from a book isn't necessarily best just because it's the most exact copy.

Seriously, girl, this is starting to get tedious. If that was your aim, bravo! But I really don't think trolling, ridicule and edginess are what the Watch is about.

I think the posts are funny and contain a lot of truth. And as always, if you don't recognize yourself in them it should be easy to laugh them off.

Also btw ask yourself if you would like to be referred to as "boy".

I think the posts are funny and contain a lot of truth. And as always, if you don't recognize yourself in them it should be easy to laugh them off.

I agree with you that the "girl" is uncalled for but for the rest, it might have been funny the first few times she did it. But now it's starting to be just trolli-sh.

While not a big fan of most of her posts, at least in the past, if I am being honest, which I am, I did find myself laughing at her recent posts. They are well written and funny … and I do tend to like that style of humor. While over the top, like much of their stuff, it has some hints of truth to it.

Personally I don't mind being called boy, its pretty generic phrasing all things considered and easy to shrug off. But agree it wasn't really needed.

In broader terms these threads are how things go. I am a big fan of BG3, although definitely not a big fan of Larian's other games even though they are good games overall. Yet people are going to compare it previous games and their own idea of how the rules should be and if it doesn't fit their ideal they won't like it.

Heck I remember how often people ranted against Skyrim, FO4, C2077, and WOTR which are my 4 top games these days and still playing all 4 (along with some other games). I never enjoyed it so I would hope some folks remember that when they see people ranting against some of their own favorite games. Seen a couple people who don't seem to like it when the shoe is on the other foot.

While not a big fan of most of her posts, at least in the past, if I am being honest, which I am, I did find myself laughing at her recent posts. They are well written and funny … and I do tend to like that style of humor. While over the top, like much of their stuff, it has some hints of truth to it.

You're being a little naive here if you think the purpose of those posts is humor.

That doesn't mean it may not end up as the best implementation of D&D 5e in a videogame, in the same way that a movie script from a book isn't necessarily best just because it's the most exact copy.

Sure, we'll have to wait until the release for a verdict, which I expect to be polarized. And it depends what he means by benchmark, it's ambiguous.

Solasta may not be the best implementation because it's only a subset. But BG3's implementation has often been criticized by D&D purists only because of Larian's changes in the fundamental part, the combat rules.

For my part, I'd rather play BG3, even if I prefer the more faithful rules and their UI clean presentation in Solasta.

I'm sure it won't since making games that drag out longer than they need to has always been their specialty. ;)

Thankfully I've never had to endure one of their dragged out games.

Thankfully I've never had to endure one of their dragged out games.

Odd, you just claimed that you did.

I generally like their games, so don't mistake my comment as some kind of bash, but the endgame has been pretty weak in most if not all of them.

Odd, you just claimed that you did.

I generally like their games, so don't mistake my comment as some kind of bash, but the endgame has been pretty weak in most if not all of them.

I hope that isn't the case here, would be a bummer after such a good build up (i.e. what I have played in AE so far). While I also love the wilderness I am looking forward to what they do with the city ... and how they actually implement it.

I don't know if I will play too much more of EA at the moment as I went through 3 times and would prefer to keep the rest of the game fresh. Guess it depends on my will power, boredom, and what else they might release in the EA version.

I wouldn't because I'm not a boy ;)
Edit: Ok, so I may have been ass-uming, myself. Sorry, if offended.:/

Back
Top Bottom