Baldur's Gate 3 - Interview with Swen @PC Gamer

Too bad they are taking so long on this game, as I'm much more interested in Larian's next game, than what looks like a reskinned Divinity Original Sin sequel - D&D 5th edition makeover. :p

Too bad they are taking so long on this game, as I'm much more interested in Larian's next game, than what looks like a reskinned Divinity Original Sin sequel - D&D 5th edition makeover. :p

Have they even announced what their next project is yet?

I remember there being this demon called "the doctor" or something, and he could basically one shot your entire party (playing on tactical difficulty) if you tried to fight him straightup. You basically had to spam consumables (tea leaves) and cheese the hell out of it.
That was my favorite part of the game! You definitely didn't have to spam consumables, as I discovered: https://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38956

ooh-ooo.gif

Angry mob with pitchforks incoming in 3...2....1.:lol:

Have they even announced what their next project is yet?

Not that I know of, hopefully it will be before they complete this BG 3 saga. (whenever that might be!)

Not that I know of, hopefully it will be before they complete this BG 3 saga. (whenever that might be!)
Past interviews claimed they might make more D&D RPGs or a new game setting. It wouldn't be to hard as Larian has six studios and 300+ employees right now.

Their next game is probably BG4 :lol: After all the time spent creating a D&D 5 game engine, they have to get everything they can out of it.

That was my favorite part of the game! You definitely didn't have to spam consumables, as I discovered: https://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38956

What difficulty did you play on?

Good thing you kept an item that made the fight easier though. I wouldn't say that is a good design though - it sounds more like cheesing the poor AI - which is what I ended up doing for many of the fights. Compare that to Baldurs Gate 2/ToB on the highest difficulty where it is all about gearing, building your character right, preparing the right spells and good tactics.

DOS:2 combat feels good for the first 1/3 of the game but then you realise how primative it really is physical armor, magical armor and elemental vunerabilities. No saving throws for any abilities means it is all about maxing one type of damage depending on the monster you are fighting. At first I enjoyed it but after mastering it I realised it was really a step back from OS:1. If you are playing Lone Wolf with a decent build the game is trivial.

I really hope BG3 has more nuanced combat than D:OS2.

Last edited:
I really hope BG3 has more nuanced combat than D:OS2.
Yep, that should be the advantage of using a reasonably well balanced and tested ruleset instead of doing something from stretch like Larian did in D:OS or Obsidian in PoE.
I just hope they don't change to much to cancel out that advantage.

A bit late to the party but seeing once again that @Nereida;'s posts are being critized as being trollish/trolling:
This is what the TOS says about trolls:
Trolling

Sowing discord in a discussion by starting arguments or upsetting people by using inflammatory, extraneous, or off-topic messages with the deliberate intent of provoking readers into an emotional response or disrupting normal on-topic discussion is forbidden.

I don't consider her posts as trolling.

If you are getting tired of reading a post or the same kind of post of her showing up every now and then in a thread I suggest you just put Nereida on your ignore list.

By making a remark about it you are simply derailing the thread, and hey, comments about her posts instead of the topic will get tiresome too. Perhaps they already are for some, including Nereida. :)

If you think someone is crossing the line, report the post and I'll absolutely look into it.
My advice: ignore posts/people you don't like and just focus on the topic.

As someone who tends to play on easy difficulty in games, and who also is not a fan of turn based, I am simply amazed people here are complaining about difficulty and having to cheese with consumables.

I am so not a fan of super hard difficulty but I went through the game on its default difficulty (it was the only one they offered at the time) and it was hard but certainly doable without cheese factors.

One reason I tend to play on easier difficulties then most people around here, or elsewhere, is I hate cheese and min/max in games. I don't want to exploit Ai and loopholes, I don't want to exploit tricks with spells, I don't want to design a character around min/max builds (I want to build them around their personality and character idea).

I didn't have to do that in BG3. I built my characters the way I wanted, I didn't splurge on consumables, and I just played. Sure some fights I had to redo a few times but not many. The few I did were boss fights.

Game seems very well balanced to me. If people have to use cheese tactics to win fights then sounds like they are not doing something right or perhaps are just too used to resorting to such things.

Planning battles, scouting around, using the right combinations of abilities ... it is one of the reasons I started to *gasp* enjoy turn based combat ... at least with this game. I doubt highly I will become a convert even if I now own 4 turn based games.

I feel we aren't talking enough about how the game is not close enough to BG to warrant a title change to DOS3.

Also, regarding the environmental effects, do we have the full list of people who will not play the game until they are toned down or removed? Just so Larian keeps us all in mind before they push the next build.

I don't expect a fully optimized and bug free game along the way, but it's odd that the game runs even worse for me now than it did when it first entered EA. I can't even get out of the prologue when running Vulkan drivers. Used to be able to.

Back
Top Bottom