Baldur's Gate 3 - Next Panel from Hell: July 7

Yes be prepared to board the hype train with the usual PR blitz again.:biggrin:

Well, i hope they get extra sales from those panels...

Cos i see them just as glorified patch notes. They have little added velue for me as a EA user would make no difference to me if they just posted a txt file with bullet points about the patch. Kinda looks like wasted money but ok...

Well, i hope they get extra sales from those panels…

Cos i see them just as glorified patch notes. They have little added velue for me as a EA user would make no difference to me if they just posted a txt file with bullet points about the patch. Kinda looks like wasted money but ok…

It's community management. I'm not sure how effective that is, but I don't think it's wasted money, they have to keep in touch with their community despite a very long development time. It motivates the fans to try the next release and give feedback about it, which is the whole point of their EA.

Besides, that's what they like to do, it's fun and motivating for the team too. It's not easy to develop for a long time without any contact with the end users or without being able to show what has been done.

I'd be curious to see how the number of views (to completion) has dropped for these panels, compared to the first few. I haven't bothered watching since about the 3rd. I just read summaries to see if there's anything really worth diving back in for - the last one didn't encourage me to do that at all. While the level cap remains low I don't see the point of replaying (mostly) the same content again and again, with the same low level cap. We have no idea how higher level class abilties/spells will play or scale. That's what I want to see - but no sign of them changing from the 1-4 lvl EA (yes, I know the EA stated lvl 4 cap, but I'd hope they'd change) . Based on issues with Larian homebrew etc, I am am quite concerned that as power levels increase, things will deviate even more from D&D. Yes, they have addressed some of this (some being the operative word) but the potential for game balance issues grows as characters level, and the community won't have tested any of that if they stick to level 1 to 4.

Last edited:
It's community management. I'm not sure how effective that is, but I don't think it's wasted money, they have to keep in touch with their community despite a very long development time. It motivates the fans to try the next release and give feedback about it, which is the whole point of their EA.

Besides, that's what they like to do, it's fun and motivating for the team too. It's not easy to develop for a long time without any contact with the end users or without being able to show what has been done.
Well we got great games without EAs just fine before without end user contact but ok i don;t mind that part.

i just prefered dos 1- 2 format where we got more of a feedback format on youtube than this shows they keep making… THat boils down to just patch notes.

But i guess that was kickstarter..

The review scores for BG3 have been trending downwards consistently for the past 6 months. It just went down to "Mostly positive" for recent reviews. This will start to impact sales if it doesn't turn around.

That's a risk of doing long EA cycles. Some buyers get fed up with the delays, others don't like the eventual changes, others you can't please, and the rest don't complain.

Lets hope they get a finished project ready for release in 2023. I wont say complete as past history shows it will have DLC, and probably a year later get a enhanced edition.

Well we got great games without EAs just fine before without end user contact but ok i don;t mind that part.

i just prefered dos 1- 2 format where we got more of a feedback format on youtube than this shows they keep making… THat boils down to just patch notes.

But i guess that was kickstarter..

I think they each have their own style. Larian said they liked the contact, so that's their way. Since nobody is forced to buy or to follow, I'm fine with it too of course, but then I'm probably in the minority of people here who are not irritated by the very idea of EA. ;)

I was too busy to follow the D:OS games at the time so I don't know that part. But I agree, with BG3 I'd rather have something more info-focused than this show, it's too long and feels too silly for me - just a matter of personal taste.

I roll my eyes and scoff at every panel but I see they do enjoy larping. It also doesn't help that I don't play the table-top versions any more, and can't see the appeal.

As for Early Access my opinion is well know. I wish it would disappear back to hell.:lol:

I've been burned out on BG3 related news for awhile now. I feel like I just don't care at this point because of how long it's taking. Once they start getting closer to an actual release, I'll start paying attention again.

Cat-Falling-Asleep.gif

I've been burned out on BG3 related news for awhile now. I feel like I just don't care at this point because of how long it's taking.
Yep, I'll start caring again when they show the actual city.

Heh. I suppose why not?

Fights in Baldur’s Gate 3 can get pretty big. It isn’t out of the ordinary that you might go head-to-head with a dozen enemies at any one time. But this experience can also get a little sluggish.

To tackle this, in this update we are introducing Swarm AI: a quality-of-life improvement that makes turn-based encounters faster. Now instead of waiting for each individual enemy to take their turn, minor enemies like animals and goblins will be grouped together during fights, and both move and attack simultaneously - making for a much smoother combat experience throughout bigger battles.

(Larian Gazette #19)

Baldur's Gate 3 - Patch 8 revealed LIVE at the Panel From Hell

I see lots of very concerning things. These are the items they called out specifically:

A cinematic experience with realistic emotional responses
Extreme Makeover: Faerun Edition - Tweaked companions and hair options galore
Elves, re-animated
Faster Turn-Based Combat - SwarmAI Redglyh mentioned above. Not sure how I feel about this one, hopefully it can be disabled?
Spade: The Final Frontier – Dig up loot and treasures hidden throughout the game - A big part part of DoS1/2 is now part of BG3 despite it not being in either of the previous games nor in the actual Descent into Avernus campaign.
Improvements to Lighting and Sound
Better, smoother multiplayer
Bards and Gnomes - great, the only decent part of the announcement!

So basically a whole lot of window dressing. People want to hear about the actual game!! Tell us how the city is going? Is it 50% complete or 90% complete?

The complaints about Larian and BG3 and how much they show kinda boils down to punishing Larian for being transparent about their process. It's not taking them longer to make this game than it generally does. They've chosen to make feedback and showing the process a big part of how they do development. They could just as easily be Bethesda Game Studios, who haven't released an Elder Scrolls in 11 years and have shown and talked about absolutely nothing about VI.

If you find yourself getting angry, realize that it's not about them being slow or not showing the right stuff or whatever. It just shows that you would prefer not to be updated until the game is done or very nearly done.

Back
Top Bottom