Baldur's Gate 3 - Next Panel from Hell: July 7

I think I'm not too far from the truth by assuming BG2 is the same level of lore and story as the 2nd Pathfinder. So I agree there's a gap, but for me it's just two different styles and we should never expect Larian to go so deep as having walls of lore text.

Exactly right. I hoped they would have better background lore but I can live with it. To be clear, I am sure it is going to be a great game, hopefully better then DoS2 (act 1 is at least). I'm just dissapointed it is not going to be more faithful to the originals - which it could of been without sacrificing in all the other areas it already does well in i.e. music, cinematics etc. BG has sold 5 million copies (and that is excluding EE sales) which is probably more like 20 mil in todays world i.e. larger market and growth in games sales etc.

But that digging mechanic is just lame-o. Digging for treasure multiple times every map is so not D&D. In face it doesn't even feature once in the entire Descent Into Avernus campaign nor in any of the originals!! But it is an easy feature to include from DoS2 I guess…

Not even the lore or writing bit? I guess you must not be a reader if you think that. Personally I would take the descriptive writing of BG2 over what is in BG3 any day of the week.

No, I was referring only to your examples of games that showed more before release.

Since you ask… I don't know. I am very much a reader. Writing quality is more important to me than it is to most players. I haven't played very far through BG3, so I can't judge its quality. I will say that I don't care if they have a slavish adherence to established lore or that sort of thing, though.

Exactly right. I hoped they would have better background lore but I can live with it. To be clear, I am sure it is going to be a great game, hopefully better then DoS2 (act 1 is at least). I'm just dissapointed it is not going to be more faithful to the originals - which it could of been without sacrificing in all the other areas it already does well in i.e. music, cinematics etc. BG has sold 5 million copies (and that is excluding EE sales) which is probably more like 20 mil in todays world i.e. larger market and growth in games sales etc.

But that digging mechanic is just lame-o. Digging for treasure multiple times every map is so not D&D. In face it doesn't even feature once in the entire Descent Into Avernus campaign nor in any of the originals!! But it is an easy feature to include from DoS2 I guess…

You're not the only one disappointed by the differences to D&D 5E, it bugged me too, at least in the beginning, but now I'm just waiting to see how it plays out. I think Larian is trying to give a good experience even if that means changing the rules, and that it will be fine as long as one can disregard those differences. It will probably annoy purists and confuse people who are used to the original ruleset though.

To be frank I don't think it was necessary or even wise to modify them, let's just hope they get a well-balanced game that still feels D&D-ish.

I don't know about the digging mechanics, it doesn't sound great from what you're saying. :D

Back
Top Bottom