Baldur's Gate 3 - Pre-Patch Announcement: Patch 7

Woah, some people totally got too serious about this :p

I have over 100 hours in the EA and I am looking forward to this game with great anticipation and I enjoy every patch note and update they release.

It was a tongue in cheek comment that I guess some people didn't get and decided to be offended by it. No surprise there really.

Haha, don't worry. Your post was obviously ironic since you were about to post the same, and I know you're a fan of this game :)

I'm not offended by the other posts, I just find it's getting old very quickly.

Anyway. Not sure I'd still play the game, even if I didn't have other released games to finish first. It was very fun but now I prefer to forget a little about it so that it feels new again when playing it after the release. But you don't seem to be easily burned down by playing a game inside out. ;)

... But you don't seem to be easily burned down by playing a game inside out. ;)

Lol depends on the game but yes I have literally thousands of hours in games like FO, Skyrim, and SIMS 4, and now over 600 in WOTR. The more open world and moddable a game the more I will probably sink into it. The key is being able to make my own characters and stories in a game world that also is enjoyable and provides some support for this.

I have also backed off from BG3 as I went through it completely 3 times. And it is TB, my second least favorite combat (my most(?) least favorite is twitch style dark souls combat) ... which means it has dragged out combat. It says something that I still played it 3 times through even with that. But then I am enjoying A Knights Tale which is TB so ... guess I am accepting that I need to play TB to enjoy some games ... but getting very derailed here.

Anyhow depending on what is in this big mystery patch (which was also a bit behind my post as I want to know what the patch is damn it! Stop teasing with pre-patch announcements and get to it already) is maybe I will play some more.

I don't see this game coming in 2022 so I will still have time to recover from burn out ;)

I also got a handful of other games to play and a new PC coming this weekend (fingers crossed) so plenty busy with my hobby :)

But at a broader, more general level, I find it a bit amusing that this is where things are today that even a patch needs some hype with a pre-patch announcement, that doesn't even state what the patch will be about because its a pre-patch announcement.

Guess my sense of humor is twisted in finding that somewhat funny as a statement about the industry these days.
No foul or harm as I also 100% agree with you as well. I just hate what the modern AAA game industry has become. At least some indie or B budget RPG's fill the gap.

Last edited:
They update the game about 4 times a year and you are burned out because of this?

It's quite standard for any EA to release pieces at a time and to hide a good part of the whole game. If that kills your anticipation, just don't participate to the EA.

And if you're talking about the news we report here or in general, why do you read it in the first place, if you don't like news about games in development? It's so easy to ignore.

What I find boring and probably kills the joy of others is having to go through this every time. But we're not going to filter out news because a few people are impatient or because of some sort of taboo on announcements, even if we have to put up with this. :p

Or if you think many dislike it, you can suggest a poll about it, if it hasn't been done already. It's been a while since we had the last one. It could be interesting, I'm not being sarcastic.
You already know what my response and vote will be for that poll. Now saying that I'll never stop just like the whining about complaining will never end from certain members.

:p

I sense two kinds of people on this forum:

1. Those who complain that the devs are not giving enough updates about a development of a game. These people are often, but not always, kickstarters of the project.

2. Those who complain that the devs are either giving too many updates, too much information or hyping too much their updates. These people often want to have a ready game to play and are not kickstarters of the project.

BG3 did not have a kickstarter but Larian is doing their dev updates as if it had. Is it because of that or because of the legacy, general interest, and the potential of the game that stimulate extra much whining about this game?

We all pretty much know that the game is not going to come out this year (although there always is a small chance that it does), yet we voted it as the most anticipated game of 2022.

EDIT: "whining" is a form of discussion. I don't mean it negative and am not whining about whining ;) The above was just an observation.

Last edited:
I didn't vote for anything on the polls so I will not accept the results.

It was rigged and so I demand a re-count.:lol:

I sense two kinds of people on this forum:

1. Those who complain that the devs are not giving enough updates about a development of a game. These people are often, but not always, kickstarters of the project.

2. Those who complain that the devs are either giving too many updates, too much information or hyping too much their updates. These people often want to have a ready game to play and are not kickstarters of the project.

BG3 did not have a kickstarter but Larian is doing their dev updates as if it had. Is it because of that or because of the legacy, general interest, and the potential of the game that stimulate extra much whining about this game?

We all pretty much know that the game is not going to come out this year (although there always is a small chance that it does), yet we voted it as the most anticipated game of 2022.

EDIT: "whining" is a form of discussion. I don't mean it negative and am not whining about whining ;) The above was just an observation.

It's an interesting observation. :D

It's true, we all have different levels of patience and we manage it differently. As you said, with games like Starfield there are 3 news per year and each time people express how they'd like more news, including me. On the other hand, many EA/KS games like Solasta and Pathfinder give frequent updates and people repeat their feelings about EA… more frequently too.

@Couchpotato; is right, we just won't change ;) So we have to be patient.

BG3 gives somewhat regular but spaced updates. I think it's just their style, they say they want interaction and it's one motivation for the EA (surely money is another). They prove numerous times that they were listening to the feedback and enjoying the attention - just look at the Panel from Hell, so I don't doubt that one second.

Maybe because they did a KS, maybe it's their nature, who knows.

Note that other games give regular updates without EA or KS, like Vagrus and Expeditions. But not big companies, as far as I remember.

For the fun: We had a poll about participating to EAs, 3/4th usually won't. Another on buying EAs, 4/5th usually won't. And yet another one on our friends at Larian, about playing the EA of D:OS, ~3/4th didn't. Maybe we should have one about EA news, but I doubt it would influence the news we post. We could put a filter "EA news" but it would be useless.

People 'whining' about the news show, if anything, they at least thought it worthwhile to sit down and type a response.
They are frustrated and are trying to lessen their frustration by sharing it, reading they are not alone in their frustration helps.

People who are not frustrated by that specific news find it boring to read after having read it multiple times: 'yeah, I know this already'. They focus on the information in the complainer's reply rather than the motivation behind it: getting rid of frustration.

Now the interesting thing (interesting to me) is that the bored people then might start feeling frustrated, and in order to lessen THEIR frustration they start typing as well. Others might join in. They feel better, but the first group will probably feel worse, for getting hardly any recognition/understanding of the problem they have got.

So in the end two groups may clash, both seeking less frustration, both getting more frustration, that is, when they focus on the other group. Focussing on their peers they feel better. :)

Not saying those two groups are clashing in this thread. I am just pointing to a process happening beneath the surface.

So indeed a filter would not make a real change imo, for people appreciate the possibility of sharing their frustration, getting rid of it by getting support, they like having an outlet.

And other people like reading that, nothing creates more attention than feelings running high and heated debates. :)

I get updates from quite a few games in my steam activity feed and what concerns me the most about the Larian updates is that they also lack in quantity/detail based on the time lapsed between updates and often focus on "fluff".

Contrast that with Owlcats where you got meaty updates that showed real progress. I see it with Egosoft as well, those games are constantly pumping out patches with heaps of changes and they give perhaps too much detail but you can really see the work behind it.

I guess I wish Larian showed more of the "good" stuff rather than Sven larping or whatever he does or pictures of characters with salami. I want to see a list of new feats added or new skills etc. I am exagerating a bit, they do give a few decent nuggets here and there. It probably comes down to what kind of person you are. I like detail and facts i.e. hearing about the games systems etc. Others might like to just hear a few jokes related to the game. I dunno.

I guess I wish Larian showed more of the "good" stuff rather than Sven larping or whatever he does or pictures of characters with salami. I want to see a list of new feats added or new skills etc. I am exagerating a bit, they do give a few decent nuggets here and there. It probably comes down to what kind of person you are. I like detail and facts i.e. hearing about the games systems etc. Others might like to just hear a few jokes related to the game. I dunno.
Yep, the issue is that stuff like funding campaigns (Kickstarter) and Early Acces are not (any more?) only about the funding and development of the game, but for creating and fostering a community. Not only for the game itself but for the franchise, the devloper or even the publisher.

So these measures are for both for creating/improving the product and marketing the product. In classical industries therese are two different goals that are to be achieved with totally different measures. But currently in the gaming industry these measures are merged. And that's what we are seeing in various degrees with different devs/publishers.

However customers aren't necessartiy interested in both areas. Some only want "technical" details about the game's development (e.g. mechanics, visuals) to actually get an estimate of the game's current state. But others like to participate in a community for thing they (will hopefully) like. They read background stories, watch interviews, and like talking about characters with a salami.
So it can be hassle for the customer to sort it out and filter the information. I wouldn't go so far to say that they get frustrated (as @Eye; did) but for sure it can get tedious, especialy when coupled with a long general waiting time for a release.

Good points.

Yes, frustrated is too strong a word in this case. Irritated, annoyed, would have been better. Thing is there is an emotional compound, on either side, the ones wanting to learn more, the juicy bits included, and the ones wanting to get just the technical data. In their response it is not just about taking in the information given.

And that is of course also what the devs/publishers are aiming at: getting an emotional response (enthusiasm), more than to be informative as such.

Good points.

Yes, frustrated is too strong a word in this case. Irritated, annoyed, would have been better. Thing is there is an emotional compound, on either side, the ones wanting to learn more, the juicy bits included, and the ones wanting to get just the technical data. In their response it is not just about taking in the information given.

And that is of course also what the devs/publishers are aiming at: getting an emotional response (enthusiasm), more than to be informative as such.

Hi Eye!

Glad to have you back! :thumbsup:

Yes, you're still a Sharpshooter on my team of a certain Firaxis game :)

I don't expect they're going to end up with as many classes as some other D&D games. I think what the game has now will be fine with the addition of 1 or 2 more melee classes.

I expect they'll add Paladin and either Monk or Barbarian if not both.
Larian has said that every D&D 5 class from the Player's Handbook will be included. That means there should be 4 more coming - the 3 you mentioned, plus Bard…

Larian has said that every D&D 5 class from the Player's Handbook will be included. That means there should be 4 more coming - the 3 you mentioned, plus Bard..

I'm good with that. I like that they're sticking with basic classes and just 2-3 sub-classes for each.

I don't feel like we need 100+ classes like the Pathfinder games. Plus, I'd like this to get released at some point in my lifetime.

Back
Top Bottom