Baldur's Gate 3 - Pre-Patch Heads-Up

Dual wielding Salami? It's not even April 1st and they are actually serious. They decided to do this based on a twitch stream FFS.

Fck me, that's lame. Goddamn it, Larian...

This is completely outrageous. How dare they have humour during a EA twitch stream, grrrr…

I honestly don't know how will I ever get over it. Everything I ever hoped about this game is now gone for good.

The issue for me is whether they put their unfunny guber comedy in BG3. It detracted from the DOS games for me, and I could do without it here.

Wait, I thought this part was only a joke for the event. Do they really want to put that in the game?

Anyway, even if it was the case, not a big deal. It's not my favourite type of humour but it's just like any Easter egg. Provided they keep that discrete and optional, I suppose they're not complete fools. ;)

Remember the t-shirt option in Kingmaker? I don't think anyone ever was traumatized by it.

At this point Larian's humor isn't even funny. I say this after playing both Original Sin games as well. As long as they tone down the humor "which I doubt" I'll be happy.

Anyway I'm still waiting on that RPGWatch poll.:p

It's an example of why I find Larian frustrating. It's as if they almost make just the RPG I'm looking for, and then add things I don't like, just to annoy me (lame "zany" humour, over-use of environmental interactions, dodgy loot systems, etc). My first impression of D:OS was great, and I thought I'd hit the jackpot, but… not so much.

At least now they can say that's a very meaty update.

But to be honest, I like Larian's humour in D:OS. Yet really, ffs, I wouldn't like to see it in BG3. It would be an immersion breaker.

I would be kinda disappointed if the salami thing is more than a meme (salamis would surely still exist in a medievalish fantasy world, I suppose), but as long as there isn't a crashed sci-fi spaceship and an army of tech-augmented soldiers wearing kevlar armour, assault helmets and electric batons inside, I can live with it.

This is completely outrageous. How dare they have humour during a EA twitch stream, grrrr…

I honestly don't know how will I ever get over it. Everything I ever hoped about this game is now gone for good.

Humor depends on the context and the public. Context is after one year of early access it's still in act 1 with very little change , except they are doing their costume parties and t-shirt sales, "cosplayers" booth and such , 2022 release at best but maybe why not 2023 or 2024 . Public is us ,who paid full price one year ago and not got much to play, so larian humor during a stream may start to irritate a bit.
I'd rather have a more professional approach.

Humor depends on the context and the public. Context is after one year of early access it's still in act 1 with very little change , except they are doing their costume parties and t-shirt sales, "cosplayers" booth and such , 2022 release at best but maybe why not 2023 or 2024 . Public is us ,who paid full price one year ago and not got much to play, so larian humor during a stream may start to irritate a bit.
I'd rather have a more professional approach.

I didn't pay a dime! Those who did… I believe the premise of paid Alpha/Beta/EA is that you don't expect anything but a copy of the game when it's released, and the good feeling of supporting a studio you'd like to see succeed. Oh yes, and the "honour" of giving your feedback, for whatever good that is.

If anyone expected more or has any sense of entitlement over the direction the development of the game takes or the timing at which it's released, then it's their own problem.

Maybe everyone will eventually realise that paid alpha/beta/EA is basically a scam and we can be finally rid of it all for good.

Maybe everyone will eventually realise that paid alpha/beta/EA sucks and we can be finally rid of it all for good.
I've been thinking that for a few years but nah it never happens. Were stuck with Early Access and paid alpha/beta's. It's the new norm just like how DLC became accepted.

The fact it's a scam or not, is that really a generality? I've seen developers using that for different reasons like funding or feedback. Each can be either good or bad, depending how it's done.

Funding for a big company like, I don't know, Larian? Cloud Imperium Games? would not be a very good reason in itself. But for a small indie, I hardly see how it's a scam. It's just an alternative or a complement to a Kickstarter.

Some of those companies like to work with a lot of feedback, like Larian. So even if they may not need the money (which I honestly don't know), it seems justified to work with the EA formula to get a lot of feedback. And many fans like the formula, give feedback which is taken into account, it's a fact.

But I don't find it fair that they're selling the game in EA with the final price. Fortunately they're not all doing that.

The alpha / beta is another discussion.

EDIT: In the case of BG3, it is a very long development phase, so I'm not even sure they could afford that without external funding.

EDIT: In the case of BG3, it is a very long development phase, so I'm not even sure they could afford that without external funding.
Question is how far along is the development? I wish they would give a concrete estimated release date. As the last couple of acts will never be released on Early Access.

Based on Larain's past history they usually take a year to two to finally release most of their games. The problem seems to be BG3 is much larger then any past project.

Question is far along is the development? I wish they would give a concrete estimated release date. As the last couple of acts will never be released on Early Access.

Based on Larain's past history they usually take a year to two to finally release most of their games. The problem seems to be BG3 is much larger then any past project.
Do they even know themselves? Perhaps they'll give an indication during their Panel From Hell, but I doubt it.

It's a long wait indeed.

The problem is the relationship it creates between random people that know nothing about developing a videogame and the sense of entitlement it creates in them just because they coughed up some change cash, which also leads to all kinds of toxicity around the game and its community. The more popular the game, the worse it gets. People who want to donate some money just to support someone's work? Sure, that's great. The issue is people who think that because they paid beforehand, they have any right to decide what the game looks like, or what the devs should spend their time on, as seen in this thread, without looking further.

When that happens, I grow uncomfortable and lose a little bit of faith for whatever game is "taking feedback" in exchange for money to make the game. If BG3 ends up being worse than I expect, it will be surely thanks to this "feedback".

Videogames, as any piece of art, should be made by professionals with the formation, knowledge and mileage on how to make videogames, not by random Joes that threw $30 at their feet. And the artistic choices need to be made by those who have the creativity and understanding necessary, not self-entitled tippers that have no idea of what they are talking about.

EA is just toxic and rotten in the way it is, in my opinion. It corrupts the relationship between players and developers and never satisfies anyone. In the end one of two things can happen:
1. The developers ignore players anyway, and follow their own creative vision on how the game should be - this is optimal for the health of the game, but dishonest, as they pormised they would listen to feedback in exchange for early cash.
2. The developers listen to feedback and change the game to appease the loudest barking dogs, regardless on whether they agree with those changes or not. This is awful towards the health of the game, and results in a much worse product than it could have ever been.

So yeah, I despise EA, and I despise paid Alpha/Beta for that reason, and I believe is a cancer of gaming that may very well end up producing an industry of games that feel more like "fast food" for idiotic masses than anything resembling actual creative quality.

Honestly, it is looking more like Baldurs Gate: Original Sin rather than BG3 every patch.

Dual wielding Salami? It's not even April 1st and they are actually serious. They decided to do this based on a twitch stream FFS.

I pray to god Sven never gets the Ultima License.

I love D:OS1&2 but I sure as hell don't want Baldurs gate to have that kind of humour and lore breaking antics.

Yeah, Baldur's Gate was deadly serious and had zero space hamsters.

I don't think anyone would claim Baldur's Gate had zero humor. However, it didn't constantly beat you over the head with it like Larian did up till now.

I say up till now because I'm pretty confident they're keeping that style (and amount) of humor out of BG 3 for the most part.

I don't think anyone would claim Baldur's Gate had zero humor. However, it didn't constantly beat you over the head with it like Larian did up till now.

I say up till now because I'm pretty confident they're keeping that style (and amount) of humor out of BG 3 for the most part.

I dunno, as long as you have Minsc in your party (and didn't everyone?) you'll hear "go for the eyes, Boo!" about 10,000 times. That's beating you over the head with it if anything is. The salami thing is a lot easier to ignore.

I dunno, as long as you have Minsc in your party (and didn't everyone?) you'll hear "go for the eyes, Boo!" about 10,000 times. That's beating you over the head with it if anything is. The salami thing is a lot easier to ignore.

I wasn't referring to the salami thing, which (I hope) isn't actually going to be in the game anyways. I was referring to how deeply ingrained that kind of humor was in every aspect of their previous games. There's really no comparison.

Back
Top Bottom