Baldur's Gate 3 - Pre-Patch Heads-Up

I was talking to Sakichop via agreeing with what you posted.

Yes, I'm aware most game are collecting data. My point was more that I didn't do any work. I wasn't creating bug reports or sending in suggestions.

It was more in response to the paying to beta test angle. Anyone that has actually beta tested knows it's actually work and pretty boring at that.

Yeah, Baldur's Gate was deadly serious and had zero space hamsters.

Where exactly in the game does it definatively state Boo is a space hamster? Minsc is a mentally challenged beserker. He believes and says wierd things. There is zero evidence to suggest Boo is actually from Space. Even David Gaider stated Boo has no special abilities and no one has seen any evidence of him being from Space. Minsc is supposed to be a comical character.

Pathfinder: Kingmaker and WotR have humor as well - but it feels much closer to BG1/2 style than what is in BG3.

You also seem to think the Larian style humor is limited to the salami? Have you actually played the BG3 EA? It's doesn't feature in every single location/character like it does in OS but there is definately an undercurrent that wasn't there in BG1/2. It's hard to put into words but the style just feels different.

The more interactive items the better. Maybe I can throw a salami to distract a bugbear or feed a dog with it or something like that. If I want to do something silly and attack with it I can do that but I don't have to do that which is the distinction to make I think.

The more interactive items the better. Maybe I can throw a salami to distract a bugbear or feed a dog with it or something like that. If I want to do something silly and attack with it I can do that but I don't have to do that which is the distinction to make I think.

Exactly right. Maybe if you were caught in a Jail and you had to find makeshift weapons it might be okay to whack an unarmed guard for instance. Although even in that case bare hands would be more effective for most people.

But duel-wielding against human enemies with swords? Not so much :)

Exactly right. Maybe if you were caught in a Jail and you had to find makeshift weapons it might be okay to whack an unarmed guard for instance. Although even in that case bare hands would be more effective for most people.

But duel-wielding against human enemies with swords? Not so much :)

Dual wielding salamis. lolz

It would be funny if you saw the enemy swordsman slice your salamis with each attack while making witty one-liners.

I have kept as spoiler-free as I humanly can from BG3 so that I can fully enjoy the experience when the game releases, and I'll tell you one thing. I would also not give a pass to things that seemed fine in DOS/DOS2 if the setting is DnD, simply because that's a "higher sphere" of a setting that I respect a lot and I want to immerse myself into, and feel part of the world and a story. It's not like there is no place for fun, jokes and humour in DnD (and the latest official campaign "The Wild Beyond the Witchlight" is a good example of that), but let's just say, DnD is serious business.

So to me, the breaking point would be finding that some things are too disruptive, and immersion-breaking, and thus the magic is gone. I can not see how a salami would do that, but I can see how other things Larian did in previous games would (ie, transforming into a bush or a crate as a stealth mechanic as you just walk around enemies that don't have a clue much like a WB cartoon).

I'll have to judge for myself when I actually get to play, but really, the salami thing is getting overblown I feel. It's a salami that you can equip in your weapon slots in a pranky teaser for a Twitch event, and I know some people are very ready to hate on Larian, but come on, give them the benefit of the doubt at least until the game is released and we can actually see how it all plays out. Or not really, it's your choice. I guess I just care about the game itself, and not the best/worst assumptions one can make about every tiny leaked detail.

I think it's a drag when discussions of games get into talk of haters or fanboys. I think Larian are quite capable of making an excellent game, and also quite capable of spoiling one - at least in regard to my tastes. I don't see much in the way of overreaction here. Personally, I just saw Larian waving the salami around and wanted to squirt them with water to say, "No, Larian! That's a bad Larian!" :p

It's probably worth waiting tomorrow to see what exactly they meant with that. ;)

My bet is on bad humour, perhaps with something hidden in the game for MP fun purpose. But people are apparently taking this seriously.

Well, you can't really blame them considering how ridiculous a lot of stuff is in Larian's past games. I'm not too worried about it myself because, like I said, I'm confident they're going to keep things pretty serious in BG3 for the most part.

So far, my only complaint would be some of the voiceovers which I find quite off-putting at times.

The problem is the relationship it creates between random people that know nothing about developing a videogame and the sense of entitlement it creates in them just because they coughed up some change cash, which also leads to all kinds of toxicity around the game and its community. The more popular the game, the worse it gets. People who want to donate some money just to support someone's work? Sure, that's great. The issue is people who think that because they paid beforehand, they have any right to decide what the game looks like, or what the devs should spend their time on, as seen in this thread, without looking further.

When that happens, I grow uncomfortable and lose a little bit of faith for whatever game is "taking feedback" in exchange for money to make the game. If BG3 ends up being worse than I expect, it will be surely thanks to this "feedback".

Videogames, as any piece of art, should be made by professionals with the formation, knowledge and mileage on how to make videogames, not by random Joes that threw $30 at their feet. And the artistic choices need to be made by those who have the creativity and understanding necessary, not self-entitled tippers that have no idea of what they are talking about.

EA is just toxic and rotten in the way it is, in my opinion. It corrupts the relationship between players and developers and never satisfies anyone. In the end one of two things can happen:
1. The developers ignore players anyway, and follow their own creative vision on how the game should be - this is optimal for the health of the game, but dishonest, as they pormised they would listen to feedback in exchange for early cash.
2. The developers listen to feedback and change the game to appease the loudest barking dogs, regardless on whether they agree with those changes or not. This is awful towards the health of the game, and results in a much worse product than it could have ever been.

So yeah, I despise EA, and I despise paid Alpha/Beta for that reason, and I believe is a cancer of gaming that may very well end up producing an industry of games that feel more like "fast food" for idiotic masses than anything resembling actual creative quality.

100% Agree i absolute hate EA too, except for small indies then it's acceptable. For exemple ostranauts , its in EA since one year, before the ea he released freely a demo, overly bugged and mostly unplayable, we told him about it but it still went into EA . One year later its progressing steadily , not finished and still in EA, but there was no real malicious intent, the guy was just overenthusiastic and wanted to show his project.

Now larian is another animal, dev used to chat with us, one of them posted on the codex even , now zero communication anymore on any forums would it be codex the watch, discord(unless you ask about something silly , cute , or hair cut related) or steam forums…
Steam forums are an haven of forced positivity, negative threads are removed , locked or moved into off topic, absolutely zero exchange with the devs. Strict corporate policy i guess, so why even are they allowed into EA if they have no intention to speak with us ?

One year later i have still no clue about act 2 and 3 , all i see is overhyped pre patch notes for another class mechanically similar to wizard , the forced positivity twitter feeds and "look how cool we are". You will see something MAGICAL at EGX ! Yeah two poor young girls used as bait for horny nerds and sell them XXL t-shirts.

Now larian is another animal, dev used to chat with us, one of them posted on the codex even , now zero communication anymore on any forums would it be codex the watch, discord(unless you ask about something silly , cute , or hair cut related) or steam forums…
Steam forums are an haven of forced positivity, negative threads are removed , locked or moved into off topic, absolutely zero exchange with the devs. Strict corporate policy i guess, so why even are they allowed into EA if they have no intention to speak with us ?

One year later i have still no clue about act 2 and 3 , all i see is overhyped pre patch notes for another class mechanically similar to wizard , the forced positivity twitter feeds and "look how cool we are". You will see something MAGICAL at EGX ! Yeah two poor young girls used as bait for horny nerds and sell them XXL t-shirts.

Sadly I'm inclined to agree. Hopefully Larian is just keeping things tighter communication wise to prevent inflating expectations for one thing or another but there should be some casual bantering at least.

Yes, going EA with BG3 was a huge mistake, on several accounts. It's exactly the point I've been making - when people give money upfront, they build expectations, whether those expectations are reasonable or not, if they are not met, the toxicity around the studio begins to build up.

Also because they are tackling a project that carries a huge baggage, and there are fans pulling from them in all directions. Between people that prefer DOS over DnD, and the several groups within DnD that prefer different editions, the several sub-groups within every group that prefer TB/RtwP, 4/5/6 man parties, lighter/grittier atmosphere, mundane/epic plots, etc etc etc. The studio and the franchise invoke so many passionate fans that feel entitled to make the call on "what is the right way to make BG3" that no matter what they do, there is always going to be a very vocal minority of outraged people.

It's their own fault, for exposing themselves like that, admittedly to expand their team and pay some extra salaries to make the best possible game they could make, but I wonder if it really was that necessary. Time will tell.

Yes, the legacy they chose is a double-edged sword.

I have the impression companies are eager to bet on franchises that have been successful for remakes, sequels or prequels. But it's often at a risk to disappoint fans of the past games. Not only the style will feel different to them, but they may have very selective memory about what was good and bad. And those who haven't played the past games will have the feeling of missing something.

On top of that they're messing with D&D 5E (fortunately, not too much). One could easily think they're looking for trouble. ;)

Shameless PR post. I'm not sorry either.:p

Baldur’s Gate 3: Up To 88% Faster With NVIDIA DLSS - Nvidia
For nearly two decades, Belgian developer Larian Studios has been crafting role-playing games in their self-made Divinity universe. Their most recent release, Divinity: Original Sin II, saw the team achieve breakout success, with millions of copies sold, an Overwhelmingly Positive 95% rating from 113,000 Steam reviewers, and a 93% average from over 70 press outlets.

And now there’s Baldur's Gate 3, which launched last year in Early Access and has already achieved tremendous success. Larian has continued to improve the game with new updates, new chapters, and player-requested changes, just as they did previously in Divinity: Original Sin II. And this week, the newest Baldur's Gate 3 update arrives on Steam, bringing a massive number of exciting new changes, including NVIDIA DLSS.

With DLSS, and your GeForce RTX GPU’s Tensor Cores, performance is boosted by up to 88% at 4K, enabling GeForce RTX 3060 Ti and higher owners to play Baldur's Gate 3 at 4K 60 FPS at max settings:

I too hope BG3 isn't as goofy as elements of the various Divinity games.

Back
Top Bottom