BG3 Baldur's Gate 3 News Thread

Baldur's gate 3
Baldur's Gate III Preview - Gamebanshee
So far it looks like Larian is doing with Baldur's Gate what Bethesda did with Fallout -- putting one of their games into an existing franchise. Bethesda was lucky in a sense that the post-apocalyptic setting from Fallout wasn't anything like the Elder Scrolls setting, and so nobody confused Fallout 3 with Skyrim 2. But with Larian, the opposite is true, and with a few edits here and there, Baldur's Gate III could easily be Divinity: Original Sin 3.

Is that good or bad? The answer might depend on your age. I grew up with the Baldur's Gate series, and so I'm wary of a new game in the franchise that doesn't have anything to do with the original games, has a completely different style, uses a new rule set, and has so many tieflings and githyanki around that it barely feels like it's in the Forgotten Realms. Larian could have just started their own Dungeons & Dragons franchise. They're a popular enough developer that I don't think it would have hurt their sales at all.

But given the situation, Baldur's Gate III seems to be coming along fine. The first chapter is packed with high quality content, and that bodes well for the rest of the game. I might argue that Larian seems to be paying more attention to the official Dungeons & Dragons rulebooks and manuals rather than the first two games in the series, but perhaps they're looking for a clean break on purpose. Or, given that many of the people you meet in the first chapter mention Baldur's Gate, maybe we'll see that city soon, and the game will begin feeling like it belongs in the series. Plus, maybe we'll see some cameos.

Baldur's Gate III doesn't have a release date yet, but since it's nowhere near being complete, don't expect it before 2022. In fact, unless Larian is holding back a bunch of the game from early access, I'd say don't expect it until 2023. Pretty much everything can change between now and then. It'll be interesting to watch how the game evolves.

I got this far and my head exploded. Is this author < 20?

"So far it looks like Larian is doing with Baldur's Gate what Bethesda did with Fallout -- putting one of their games into an existing franchise. Bethesda was lucky in a sense that the post-apocalyptic setting from Fallout wasn't anything like the Elder Scrolls setting, and so nobody confused Fallout 3 with Skyrim 2."

There's a really good reason nobody confused Fallout 3 with Skyrim 2. Skyrim did not exist when Fallout 3 came out.

But did people endlessly compare Fallout 3 to the BGS game that WAS out, Oblivion? Oh yes, yes they did. "Oblivion with guns" they said, after taking a 5 second casual glance at the new Bethesda game.

I'm going to comfortably assume the same ignorance and superficiality in any analysis of BG3 being another Divinity game (a comparison that has already been lazy most every time it's been made)

Last edited:
Very superficial and not very interesting, the guy doesn't seem to know the context very well either. It's a bit weird he releases a preview 2 days before the next patch too, it's not as if Larian updated very often.
There's a really good reason nobody confused Fallout 3 with Skyrim 2. Skyrim did not exist when Fallout 3 came out.

But did people endlessly compare Fallout 3 to the BGS game that WAS out, Oblivion? Oh yes, yes they did. "Oblivion with guns" they said, after taking a 5 second casual glance at the new Bethesda game.
Well spotted, I suppose he meant Oblivion too. I'm pretty sure there was another article or video recently making exactly the same parallel, maybe he took inspiration from there but mixed up the names.

Well Larian would be ecstatic if they could sell Fallout 3 level of copies, so I'm all for it. I'm pretty sure Fallout 3 alone has sold more copies than all Larian games combined. Even though I'm not a big Larian fan, I hope they can sell that many copies. It's good for the genre as a whole.

True despite how much flak Bethesda gets their games sell 20+ million over five years after its release. I doubt another game has come close except for GTA5 & GTA Online.:)

So in conclusion I doubt BG 3 will sell that many but still a decent amount.

Baldur's Gate 3: Everything We Know - PCGamer
One of PC's greatest RPGs is getting a sequel made by the creators of another one of the best RPGS of all time. It's been almost 20 years since Baldur's Gate concluded in Throne of Bhaal, but Larian Studios is finally taking us back to the Sword Coast. Baldur's Gate 3 is currently in Early Access and receiving regular patches and updates.

Despite embracing the rules of D&D, Baldur's Gate 3 is a distinctly Larian game. Combat is turn-based, for instance, which makes it more like D&D but less like Baldur's Gate. And like Original Sin 2, It's a systemic RPG that compels you to experiment, trying to capture some of the freeform adventuring that you might get up to in a tabletop game. Read on for everything we know about Baldur's Gate 3.

True despite how much flak Bethesda gets their games sell 20+ million over five years after its release. I doubt another game has come close except for GTA5 & GTA Online.:)

So in conclusion I doubt BG 3 will sell that many but still a decent amount.
Seeing how long is the EA, maybe they have a chance to break CP's record of sales on day 1 ;)

1 million the first week doesn't sound bad, better than Divinity: Original Sin 2 that took 2-3 months to reach it. And that was on Steam only. Now the range given by Steam is 2-5 million owned games (not "bought" strictly speaking, but I doubt there's much giveaway and free week-end actions with BG3).

That's Steam Spy, not sure they're as reliable as they say. Also, they do say it's not reliable just after release, so this number for the first week may be quite off.

Bah developers/publishers are always chasing the GTA sale numbers. They rarely ever do. Anyway CP 2077 sold around 14-15 million since it released so it's not a failure.

Just not GTA sale numbers nor Bethesda's. :)

I just hope Act 2 and 3 of BG III don't fall flat like the OS games. I call it the curse of Larian as the ending content is always sub-par to the rest of their recent games.

Feels like Swen and his staff get burned out and go meh just release it already.:lol:

Bah developers/publishers are always chasing the GTA sale numbers. They rarely ever do. Anyway CP 2077 sold around 14-15 million since it released so it's not a failure.

Just not GTA sale numbers nor Bethesda's. :)

I just hope Act 2 and 3 of BG III don't fall flat like the OS games. I call it the curse of Larian as the ending content is always sub-par to the rest of their recent games.

Feels like Swen and his staff get burned out and go meh just release it already.:lol:
With games that long, it must be hard to keep the same motivation and the same quality until the end. Same for testing it in QA.

Imagine spending 100+ hours reporting bugs, then Swen walks into the office and says "guys, we looked at the stats and we're changing how the dice roll and how the advantage/disadvantage works, can you test again before next week?" :lol:

Seeing how long is the EA, maybe they have a chance to break CP's record of sales on day 1 ;)

1 million the first week doesn't sound bad, better than Divinity: Original Sin 2 that took 2-3 months to reach it. And that was on Steam only. Now the range given by Steam is 2-5 million owned games (not "bought" strictly speaking, but I doubt there's much giveaway and free week-end actions with BG3).

That's Steam Spy, not sure they're as reliable as they say. Also, they do say it's not reliable just after release, so this number for the first week may be quite off.

Well, this is exactly the reason they went with the Baldur's Gate title instead of making an original D&D game. The name alone is going to sell a significant amount of copies.

Not that an original D&D game from them wouldn't have sold well, but I highly doubt it would be anywhere near that amount.

New newsletter.

I love that :

And, well, we're partial to some of the incoming fixes as well:
· Skeletons are no longer in a celebratory mood when emerging from coffins.
· Fixed being able to eat some buckets.
· Fixed being able to cast Charm Person on yourself.
· Liam will no longer run away while unconscious

Baldur's Gate 3 Panel From Hell 4: Grymforge [Livestream Captured]

Welcome to the Panel From Hell 4 Grymforge! I will be co-streaming this event right here on the WolfheartFPS channel. We will be getting some news on the upcoming patch 6, and of course a nice show from Larian Studios to go along with it.

Baldur's Gate 3: Forging the Arcane - Grymforge

Forging the Arcane, Baldur's Gate 3's sixth update, continues the journey of Early Access across the Ebonlake, and into Grymforge, the game's first new area. Harness the power of an all-new class -- the Sorcerer -- and wield Wild Magic, or hail from a Draconic Bloodline descending from dragon ancestry.

Baldur's Gate 3 is taking a very very long time..

In this video I will talk about why Baldur's gate 3 is taking such a long time to develop. We are coming up on one year of early access, and we still have likely at least 1 more to go

Baldur's Gate 3 - Patch 6 Notes

Baldur's Gate 3 Panel From Hell 4: Grymforge [Livestream Captured]
For this one I'd advise to watch the "official" Twitch version instead, to avoid all the stupid follower pop-ups, sounds and comments. It's not gone through 2 stages of video compression, too. I started watching this one then I quickly changed.

For this one I'd advise to watch the "official" Twitch version instead, to avoid all the stupid follower pop-ups, sounds and comments. It's not gone through 2 stages of video compression, too. I started watching this one then I quickly changed.
There are no offical YouTube versions.

I wish this forum allowed you to embed twitch streams.

Anyway…

My only question has been answered, and I don't have to comment on these threads anymore. As I'm tired of all the PR hype for this game & other Early Access games.

So Au revoir, Auf Wiedersehen, and all that. I'll wait for it's release to get excited.:movingon:
I saw you talk earlier this year about Baldur's Gate 3 now "aiming" for release in 2022. Oh Swen! I was convinced it would spend a year in Early Access like Divinity: Original Sin 2 did, but no! And it doesn't even sound like you're fully set on 2022 either.

Swen Vincke: Ha ha. So, what do we do - what is our job when making this game? It's really trying to create moment-to-moment gameplay that's really good for you and that's rewarding at every single step. It takes an insane amount of time to do this in a game with so much freedom. And we're trying to really reward you if you're going to go on your evil playthrough, or your good playthrough, or your chaotic playthrough. We're trying to give you something at every single step. And just the creation of that is an exponential effort, unfortunately, and so it takes much more time than we expected, I can tell you that!

There's no way back for us. I mean, we've committed to doing it this way so we're going to do it this way. And, yeah, we just discovered it takes much more time. Doing it cinematically on top of it, with the graphical polish that we're putting on it: it's really - it's tough. It's a lot. It's really a lot. But it's cool - when it pays off then it's cool, so it's worth it, but yeah, it just takes more time. The company also had to grow tremendously to be able to make it, much more than we expected. So that's the price of making this type of gameplay, I guess, so it's not as if we're doing it on purpose, being slower.

Back
Top Bottom