BG3 Baldur's Gate III

Baldur's gate 3
Mind flayers are some of the best dnd monsters to me. Good choice I say!

I hope this is turn based but I can get by on RTWP I guess. If you look at Larians recent games then TB seems logical but with BG1 and 2 being RTWP I can see this going either way. It’s a nail biter for sure!

I agree with you somewhat though. The BG games felt a little like an exhaustive checklist of D&D items and tropes… a trip down nostalgia lane, even way back then.

Maybe to you, but not everyone was a D&D veteran when Baldur's Gate was released. It introduced a whole new generation of gamers to D&D.

I had already been playing RPGs for years at that point, but I never got into the Gold Box games, and I wasn't a PnP gamer despite owning several of the Monster Manuals. I didn't even know what THACO meant before playing BG. :)

""Here's what we gleaned from the interview:

* there's no release window yet as developers "want to start a dialogue with fans"
* player choice is central to the experience
*players will interact with the environment to accomplish things similar to Divinity: Original Sin 2 where a lightning spell could be cast, for instance, across water to increase its effectiveness. "It'll be about more than just clicking which spell or ability you want to start using."
* based on the fifth edition rules of D&D in order to "woo new and lapsed players to the series"
* there will be callbacks to the first games, but Larian has its own vision for the series
set 100 years after the events of the first games
*Mind Flayers will have a "big part to play in BG3". They are out to restore their Empire
*Larian is using its own proprietary engine for the project with "significant upgrades"
definitely not coming in 2019""
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Why not make then another Divinity game or ,as I said before, something own in Forgotten Realms?
I have great respect for Larian and thought them to be very openminded, honest, fan friendly company, but this "affair" with Baldurs Gate 3 seems somehow dirty to me - no big risk, famous IP will bring money in for sure.
Though on another hand, I have hope that Larian could probably bring something new and fresh to move genre forward, as they did with Original Sin.

I'd encourage the negatives in here to keep an open mind. If you place bets now that it will fail, then any news that comes out, will be treated with confirmation bias. I believe that happens often in this community, especially for the nostalgic people with a rose coloured portal to the past.

Also, being positive is much healthier (and yes the "no, i'm just being realistic" argument is a form of negativity). Being positive instead of complaining is also one of the main traits of highly successful people (and vice versa to those who have difficulty with success). Those who are positive, tend to think "what can I do to change this", while those who are negative tend to think "why bother" or "it's their fault".

Positive things to look forward to:

- We are getting Baldur's Gate 3. We could instead most likely have nothing (as evidenced by other games that have just disappeared).
- Larian has made some great RPGs, regardless if their style is sometimes not to everyone's taste
- Larian knows how to make a well polished game
- Larian isn't afraid to admit mistakes
- They are a mature crowd who were around during the prehistoric RPG days, and recognize both old and new fanbase
- They are working with a known IP with a lot of lore, story and gaming systems already worked out
- They've often spoke of trying to obtain old IPs such as Ultima because they recognize what made a great RPG, meaning their Divinity style is not necessarily the style they would use for other established IPs
- They've brought in outside writing talent in the past showing that they recognize the need for good story
- They've done Kickstarters in the past so that they're not as beholden to the strong-arm of publishers
- And most importantly, they are very good at listening to fan/player feedback

That last one is the most important, because instead of saying "it will suck", you can give constructive criticism and suggestions to Larian, and do your part to:

XNsIvRu.jpg

So do I have to pay an admission fee Caddy?:D

Reminds me of those TV self-help scams.

Anyway I prefer to be a pessimist and a realist.:p

So do I have to pay an admission fee Caddy?:D

Reminds me of those TV self-help scams.

Anyway I prefer to be a pessimist and a realist.:p

I at least applaud your ability to present your pessimism with a cheerful positive attitude!

Just make sure I can get a wizard or three onto a spaceship where I can blast other spaceships with fireball spells.

So when did mind flayers start reproducing using ceramorphosising? There's nothing like that in 1st edition. (It seems the eyes have changed color, too.)

You must have just become a pessimist and realist when you heard the announcement because if you started that way you'd be too amazed by the news to worry about cloud spells and Illithid comedy, which is worse than Vogon poetry, I hear.

I'm a pessimist and a realist and a week ago I'd have told you D&D was dead. :)

Pessimism is the safe route at least. It insulates from disappointment.

If it turns out it does suck they can claim they knew all along. If it turns out to be great then they'll be happy to be wrong. :)

I personally am just going to be happy that I'm getting a D&D RPG from a credible developer.

I'll wait for more info to see if there's reason for pessimism.

I'm not worried. I support developers taking risks, whatever the outcome. Larian is also continuously growing, in size but also the quality of the games they make. Their storylines keep improving, and having tripled in size it is almost a certainty it will not be the same as previous games (if anyone is worried it will be too bright of a rpg)

I thought Larian plateaued with Divinity 2. The Original Sins games were just silly and I'd love to see someone else run the company besides Swine or whatever his name is. If it features the environmental stuff yet again, it'll be a hard miss by me. I'll just install DKS again while you guys play the inferior BG3 :biggrin:

Well, I think it's good news in the sense that we're getting a Forgotten Realms game from a studio that has the chops to do it justice, and I like the whole mindflayer situation. My expectations are somewhat brought down to Earth by talk of expanded environmental hijinks, and the connection to some new DnD abortion with demons driving around in soul-powered hot rods. I do worry what Larian might do if that's the tone set. <shudders>

Well, I think it's good news in the sense that we're getting a Forgotten Realms game from a studio that has the chops to do it justice, and I like the whole mindflayer situation. My expectations are somewhat brought down to Earth by talk of expanded environmental hijinks, and the connection to some new DnD abortion with demons driving around in soul-powered hot rods. I do worry what Larian might do if that's the tone set. <shudders>

Yeah I agree. I'm also a bit wary about Swen's comment that people don't like missing attack rolls in combat and that this is a problem that requires solving. I don't like the sound of that.

But I'm happy to be going back to the Forgotten Realms setting and I'm hoping it will turn out well.

With the immense budget this project must have (300+ devs), there's no way it's not going to be a mainstream oriented title. That doesn't mean it can't still be a great game of course, but I think the hardcore RPG crowd needs to keep certain expectations in check.

Yes, I think a production at that scale is likely to be very different type of game, in the more typical mainstream mould. A couple of their comments seem to hint in that direction, too. In the best case, that could potentially still be pretty interesting.

I do agree about the strange practice of sticking to the Sword Coast regions most of the time. It seems odd that WotC are, in their new campaign, resorting to wacky races in the Silly Dimension, when the potential for novelty in Faerun seems largely unexplored.

If it features the environmental stuff yet again, it'll be a hard miss by me.

This seems to be the party line hereabouts. Am I the only one here who really likes the D:OS environmental interaction? I thought it added a lot.

This seems to be the party line hereabouts. Am I the only one here who really likes the D:OS environmental interaction? I thought it added a lot.

I thought it was a pretty good idea, just overused. I didn't particularly want to hear that BG3 will up the ante, in that regard.

I admit I haven't yet played further than the prologue of DOS2 (it's at #2 in the queue) and I was a little doubtful about adding the further layer of blessed/cursed on top of the elements, so maybe I'll hate it too once I've played that whole game.

I think it would work really well as an occasional way to mix up combat a bit. But I think they got a bit infatuated with their idea, and let it dominate. Kill your darlings, and all that.

Back
Top Bottom