Balrum

RPGWatch

An RPGWatch Bot
Administrator

Now that Nasrus revealed his plot, the kings of Balrum sent their armies to the borders of the unknown lands captured by Nasrus. The power of the undead armies had been greatly underestimated. No one survived the battles. Without the armies of the kings, chaos has overcome Balrum. Large bandit clans formed and started to live by their own rules. Soon the kings of Balrum had fallen.

wo little village stood up against the new bandit rulers and decided that the only way they will survive is if they hide in the Dark Woods. No one dare enter the Dark Woods and this is what the villagers took advantage of. A horrible deal has been made, but the villagers are safe for now. The undead hordes of Nasrus are still waiting at the borders, but they can march into the heart of Balrum anytime their lord commands and there is no one to stop them. The people wonder why the good gods of Balrum, Adacus and Eogor don’t seem to be interested in the events that took place...

More information.

Game accidentaly discovered yesterday and immediatly bought and since then I'm addicted by this old school rpg : I've only played like 10 hours and I'd like to have an idea of how long it may last to finish it. Does someone know ?

It took me quite more time. There's a lot of stuff optional So it depends, 40H is more for a strong build and non completionist play. Or if you play really fast.

I'm pretty sure I finished all there was to play, unless they've added more content. There is a lot to do, but a good build will save you tons of grief and it wasn't biased against melee styles at all, which served me well.

I admit that I used CRPnuts skillbook cheat in this one. I didn't want to rerun the game with a different build. I wanted all the secondary skills.

Really liked this game.

I'm pretty sure I finished all there was to play, unless they've added more content. There is a lot to do, but a good build will save you tons of grief and it wasn't biased against melee styles at all, which served me well.
Ok, anyway thoe play time are very dependent of the player too. For me DOS1 110H including multiple experimentation by trying weird solutions finally not working really. And Balrum 80H. For a less slow play I would count 80/90H for DOS1 and 60H for Balrum not 40H.

Imho Balrum was an okish to good game. The problem was actually that your power increased too much over the curse of the game and it became to easy and also repetitive.

I played 82 hours total (highest difficulty). And about half of them were on the first map, the rest on the second.
Imho the game should have ended after the first map. While the second added several additional enemy types it was mostly a drag. Enemies were too easy and they placed too many of them into the map. Up to the point where you had pure grinding sub-maps.

There's:
Misty pines = 1 area
Darkwood = 4 areas
Balrum = 4 areas
Searing desert = 2 areas
Realm of the dead = 1 area

Darkwood is the first and I agree the best, but Balrum is pretty interesting too. Desert is one more example of desert area in RPG that is tedious. Realm of dead has some good point but it's too much desert like. And Misty pines is the final and very small.

For me it's only since desert that the game quality low down. The real problem is more that there's large gameplay aspects not working that well. For example, the farming and building almost totally disconnected to the main gameplay was a ridiculous design, just done to fulfill engagements.

The farming and building are disconnected from the main gameplay, no kidding.

The farming and building are disconnected from the main gameplay, no kidding.

Yep. Well, they are connected in one sense: They eat up your skill points you could use for something more useful.

I played Balrum shortly after it initially launched, having done some extreme testing for them as well back in the day. Another one of those excellent games that I truly need to replay at some point.

Back
Top Bottom