Battle Brothers - Review @ SplatterCatGaming

Been playing / discovering the game since a week. Really enjoying it. I like how open the world is. It's certainly "tough" but not overly. I just wish the strategic map was a little bit more interesting to explore. At time, it seems quite "empty" and I feel much more could be added.

Nod, it's a tough game for certain, one you simply cannot rush from battle to battle without thinking ahead. The maps could indeed be a bit more varied, one can never have too many options.

I joined the noble war right when it started in my campaign. Trying to play a bit more aggressively this time around. Raided some caravans and burnt down some of their structures. Makes for some exciting times but have to be very careful traveling on enemy roads. The nobles have sent a few huge armies against my band of happy killers.

I joined the noble war right when it started in my campaign. Trying to play a bit more aggressively this time around. Raided some caravans and burnt down some of their structures. Makes for some exciting times but have to be very careful traveling on enemy roads. The nobles have sent a few huge armies against my band of happy killers.
How do you decide whether or not to attack areas with unknown garrisons?

Feels like a lottery to me. Or do you attack and then simply retreat if it seems too difficult?

Feels like a lottery to me. Or do you attack and then simply retreat if it seems too difficult?

I don't think there's any way to really know, other than that areas further away from town usually have harsher opposition. But you can get wrecked close to town too.

I'm not playing ironman, so honestly I just save my game before going to a ruin. But if you wanted to be less cheesy, I think retreating early in the battle doesn't come with too many penalties. I just find the reload to be so much faster :).

I stay away from unknown garrisons until around day 50. If my company can handle most fights I will roll the dice and attack after that. If it's a bad situation I will retreat or reload if I'm not playing ironman.

I play ironman maybe 50% of the time. If I'm doing a long campaign and trying for the legendary locations I don't play ironman. The main reason ironman gets annoying is hiring new mercenaries. I save scum if the new guys are crap early on or later if that hedge knight I just paid 8000 gold for isn't very good. Also, sometimes if I'm lazy way out in the wilderness and not paying attention and get jumped by a crazy powerful group.

I got jumped by 36 bandits in three different groups this morning after I just got some named armor and my group was pretty beat up. I reloaded that lol. Think that's the first time I've been jumped by that many mobs before day 100 and no mods. Maybe the new DLC added some dangerous situations earlier but I think I wasn't paying attention.

I want to get into this game, but almost €60 for the full game and DLCs on Steam, is a bit too much for me. But I'll happily buy it when it is on sale.

My fear is that the combat becomes tedious once you unlock some meta build. I like to be challenged in these kinda games, even when I get familiar with the system, so in order to be victorious you'll have to make sacrifices and tough choices. Is that the case with Battle Brothers?

Last edited:
I want to get into this game, but almost €60 for the full game and DLCs on Steam, is a bit too much for me. But I'll happily buy it when it is on sale.

My fear is that the combat becomes tedious once you unlock some meta build. I like to be challenged in these kinda games, even when I get familiar with the system, so in order to be victories you'll have to make sacrifices and tough choices. Is that the case with Battle Brothers?

I haven't found the combat to be tedious. There's enough variety in enemies, tactics, and terrain to keep you busy for a while. No one approach is going to work well in every case.

My fear is that the combat becomes tedious once you unlock some meta build. I like to be challenged in these kinda games, even when I get familiar with the system, so in order to be victorious you'll have to make sacrifices and tough choices. Is that the case with Battle Brothers?
Just play main game and buy dlc later if you enjoy it would be my advice. Base game has enough content to keep you occupied for at least 50 hours in my opinion.

And I've seen it on decent price-drops more than once, keep your eyes peeled on this forum, people are pretty good about mentioning when sales hit and where they're taking place!

I've been playing for 20 hours or so, but not even with a new background as I had never played traders before.

Still immensely fun.
I'm playing in beginner iron-man though.

Some day ill play the new backgrounds too. :)

yes that is the case

Back
Top Bottom