Behind the Horizon

Okay, the first few posts talk about it being mostly a farming game and that being the backbone. Has this changed? All the last screenshots are of dungeons, which is interesting. All of the first screenshots make it look like farmville or Stardew Valley which I wouldn't touch with a 10' hoe.

If this has moved into a combat/skills/exploration/loot game, I might be interested even with the 1990 graphics. However, I'm not into farming much. I did play Balrum for hours but hated the farming parts and mostly skipped them. Any Watcher play both this and Balrum and want to compare?

Also, if anyone has played; how good is the English translation?

Okay, the first few posts talk about it being mostly a farming game and that being the backbone. Has this changed? All the last screenshots are of dungeons, which is interesting. All of the first screenshots make it look like farmville or Stardew Valley which I wouldn't touch with a 10' hoe.

If this has moved into a combat/skills/exploration/loot game, I might be interested even with the 1990 graphics. However, I'm not into farming much. I did play Balrum for hours but hated the farming parts and mostly skipped them. Any Watcher play both this and Balrum and want to compare?

Also, if anyone has played; how good is the English translation?

------------------

Hello,

Behind the Horizon is an RPG with farming, nature simulation and huge dungeons, which are also important in playing the story. You can't play it without farming, but you can choose how much attention you want to pay to it.
As for the English translation: so far no one has complained about it, so I assume it's ok ;-) !

Thanks, @Jadawin1;. I figured the English would be okay since your posts are quite understandable.

I have no idea what nature simulation even would be. Unless the world is Earth-sized, it's really hard to simulate true weather. Are you saying tides are affected by lunar cycles, that a forest can catch fire via lightning strike, that tornadoes will form when cool air comes down on top of a warm front, etc.?

Most games just mean it rains and snows.

Yes, it rains and snows (and the snow stays) ;-) and there is also a lot more in terms of climate and weather. But the main part of the nature simulation concerns soil, plants and animal life. Everything reproduces and dies again. So it is a cycle of life and the world changes permanently. This affects the whole world. I would have liked to integrate the complexity you mention, but that would be absolutely incomprehensible and a game should not completely overwhelm the player with complex algorithms. Rather, everyone should be able to understand everything after a while.

Hello Community,

This weekend you can buy Behind the Horizon complete and with future updates at itch.io for half the price! Itch.io generously gives up its part of the sale, which I additionally pass on to you :) !

If you prefer to buy on Steam, my game will also be available there at the end of May in the Open-World Event with a discount!

Here is my page at itch: https://jadawin1.itch.io/behind-the-horizon

OPGEN.jpg

Hello Community,

Behind the Horizon is part of the Steam in the Open World event this weekend! Of course, as usual, there is a 40% discount on the game during the event. So a good opportunity for you to add my game to your library :) !

Homepage: https://www.jadawinindiegames.de
Here is the link to my shop page at Steam: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1453430?beta=0

Behind the Horizon on Steam Summer Sale

EVSDE.jpg

Hello Community,

at the moment the annual summer promotion is running and you can get my game there with a nice discount until 8 July. After a little more than half a year after release, the game is now well polished and the updates are becoming less frequent. So it's a good time to play Behind the Horizon :) !

Homepage of the game: https://www.jadawinindiegames.de

Here is the link to my shop page at Steam: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1453430?beta=0

There is also a new trailer showing all the changes of the last months:

farmnice1920x1080-jpg.20954

Hello Community,

It has been quiet around my game Behind the Horizon for a long time now, while I took a well-deserved summer break after 4 years of intensive development work and the PC stayed switched off most of the time.

Now that the days are getting shorter, I have started working on the first big add-on again. In the meantime, all the new areas in the world have been created and the framework of the plot and quests has already been set. I have created a lot of new graphics, new music and some new sounds.

I also had to adapt the save system to save additional data and optimised it and made it more flexible. Then there is a selection menu to start the AddOn (if a corresponding EndGame was found).

At the moment I am working on the intro of the AddOn and the new quest lines.

What does the AddOn offer:

The epic story continues seamlessly, taking our hero to many new areas and also answering some unanswered questions. There are new NPCs, new quests, new caves with new monsters that get other challenging mechanics. In addition, there will be another pet that can be summoned to help in battle.
As usual from the main game, the farm and RPG parts will be linked and offer a lot of variety.

The love story will also be continued.

But I won't reveal more yet. I will go into more detail on some aspects from time to time when I am writing them :) !

Hello Community,

some time has passed and I'd like to give you an overview of my work on the big add-on for Behind the Horizon.

The big add-on " Behind the Horizon - The Desert" is now slowly taking shape and "of course" it is much more extensive than initially envisaged. The playing time will be about 50-100 hours. The world map will be about a third larger. So there is a lot to discover.

New items, new mechanics, new monsters, new NPCs, new plants and trees and much more...

The main part of the AddOn takes place in the desert in the south, which poses completely new challenges for the player. In parts, the AddOn feels like a survival game. The level of difficulty is correspondingly higher than in the main game. Therefore, it is definitely useful to have finished the main game and to be familiar with the world of Behind the Horizon.

The story revolves around the question: What became of Alex/Carla from the intro of the main game? In the add-on, many other open questions from the main story are gradually clarified and relationships from the main game are developed further.

Soon I will also post some screenshots and further information about the AddOn. Of course, there will also be a trailer introducing the AddOn later.

Since the development time for the AddOn has been over a year so far and there is still a lot more time to come, I now have the question of whether to make the AddOn available for free as an update or to distribute it as a new APP together with the main game.

At the same time, I could lower the price of the main game and thus appeal to new players with a smaller budget to try out Behind the Horizon.

I would be interested in your opinion on this?

Hello Community,

on the occasion of the upcoming release of the big add-on Behind the Horizon - The Desert and the new features that come with it, I would like to take a look back at the different stages of development of the GUI in my game.
For this purpose, I have selected some screenshots from the last 15 months, which illustrate well the path the GUI has taken. The latest version, which I would now consider to be more final, comes at the end and is released together with the AddOn.

The new GUI is finally in one piece and all windows open (animated) from the bottom quick bar. Items can now finally be moved freely in the quick bar, split stacks etc.. just like in the inventory. Selling is now also possible directly from the inventory/quick bar. All crafting windows connect directly above the inventory and can then be easily used accordingly.

To achieve all this I had to redesign practically all windows of the GUI and of course also redefine the active areas for actions with mouse and keyboard. This took many days and I hope you like the new design and play with it.

Of course the GUI is still scalable in a wide range and can be adapted to different resolutions and tastes.

But now to the screenshot time travel...

GUI at the time of release (yes, at that time I found it to be successful ;-) ):

G (1).jpg

G (2).jpg

First changes some time later:

G (3).jpg

The upper bar for season, temperature, light and date was removed and integrated into the lower GUI. Likewise, the large spheres for life essence and creative power (finally) disappeared.

G (5).jpg

G (7).jpg

And now the current version of the GUI, to be released in spring together with the AddOn:

G (9).jpg

G (10).jpg

G (14).jpg

P1EN.jpg

Hello Community

Behind the Horizon is now going into the second round with version 2.0. This major update, which also serves as preparation for the AddOn - The Desert, improves and expands many aspects of the game.

The biggest visible change is the new GUI, which has now been fully integrated into the quick bar and is more comfortable and consistent than ever before.

In addition, there are many changes to the balance in prizes, the combat system and the properties of plants and animals.

The starting map has also been improved in many areas and further beautified.

The lists of merchants are now completely sorted by type and make shopping a lot more convenient.

Some small bugs that occurred during the time have also been fixed.

The quest display now also has a progress bar for many quests, with which you can see how far you have completed the quest.

The complete list of changes and enhancements can be found in the patch notes for version 2.0.

They are in the community section of my game on Steam:
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1453430?beta=0

or on the website of the game: https://www.jadawinindiegames.de

PS: If everything goes well, the AddOn - The Desert will be released at the beginning of April and will be available for purchase as a separate DLC. Later, there will also be a bundle of the main game and the add-on.

P2.jpg

P3.jpg

P4.jpg

Hello Community,

The release of the AddOn - The Desert for my epic farm and role-playing game Behind the Horizon is now getting closer. The date of early April now seems very realistic.

Reason enough to present you my first trailer for the AddOn:

You can find the shop page with screenshots and information about the AddOn here on Steam:
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1937410/Behind_the_Horizon__The_Desert/?beta=0

Hey @Jadawin1;, I forgot about your game so this post reminds me to pick it up and take a look! I almost always buy games that developers post a game thread about on RPGWatch. Gonna do it now so I don't forget.

Hey Crpgnut,

I'm glad my game reached you after all :) ! If you have any questions about the game, you can always write to me here or on Steam in my Community! Have fun...

EEN.jpg

Hello Community,

the time has come: Behind the Horizon - The Desert, the first add-on with over 50 hours of game play, has been completed and is ready for download :) !

Hightlights:

- Explore new vast territories
- Master the art of surviving in the desert
- Experience a new exciting main story in 4 chapters (playing time well over 50h)
- Find new friends
- Face the demons again
- Pursue numerous side quests
- Build on your relationships from the main game
- Get company on your farm
- Learn many new crafting plans and new spells
- Build and use many new items

You can find more information, a trailer and screenshots on my Steam shop page, and of course you can buy my game and the add-on there.

My shop page on Steam: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1453430?beta=0
Shop page of the AddOn: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1937410/Behind_the_Horizon__The_Desert/?beta=0

I hope you enjoy the new episode of Behind the Horizon and wish you all a lot of fun exploring the new areas!

Jadawin

Trailer:

W (4).jpg

W (3).jpg

W (5).jpg

Hello Community,

now my Game Behind the Horizon is almost 2 years on Steam and there is a small :-( , enthusiastic :) community of players and the first DLC AddOn is already online.

Since marketing seems to be the main work in game development nowadays - if only I had known that before ;-) I am more busy with it than with developing the second AddOn !

Fact is: I really have difficulties to make my game known to the world as a micro budget solo developer.

Since I still believe that Behind the Horizon deserves a lot more attention, I've decided to start a little giveaway and offer some keys to you.
The only condition is that you actually play the game and if you like it you may write me a friendly review on Steam later!
Since the number of reviews also influences the algorithm where and when a game appears on Steam and I still have far too few of them, you could help me a lot.

If you want to take part, please write to me here in the forum.

Jadawin

On my Steamshop page you can find more information, a trailer and screenshots.

Shop Page on Steam: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1453430?beta=0

English Trailer V1.55 -
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLEw70F05v0&t=43s

Hello Community

For the Steam Autumn Sale Event, I'm offering my extensive RPG Farm game with a whopping 50% discount for a short time!
100+ hours of story, numerous side quest series, crafting, magic, romance and lots of exciting battles in a 100% handcrafted and varied huge living world. And all that without grinding and without constantly repeating quests.

So if you loved StardewValley but wished for more story and depth, Behind the Horizon is absolutely right for you!

Jadawin

PS: By the way, the AddOn is also available with a small discount!

Steamshoppage: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1453430?beta=0
Homepage: https://www.jadawinindiegames.de

Hello Community,

time flies and not only when you play Behind the Horizon ;-) !

At the moment I am preparing the second AddOn, as the story will find its ending there.

In the first AddOn - The Desert, a new climate zone was introduced and overall the part of the AddOn that played in the desert was more difficult and towards survival.

In the next AddOn, the main world, as well as your own farm that you have built up, will again play a more central role, although there will of course also be new unknown areas. The story, of course, revolves around the "Master" and two people stranded in the world. More will not be revealed here ;-) !

Besides the development of the AddOn, I am continuing to expand my community, which is still difficult. Maybe one or the other has a tip for me?

Unfortunately, I have so far been denied access to the testers of the big games magazines, which may be due to the fact that my game is almost unknown. So the snake bites its own tail ;-) !

Many small Youtubers who love indie games, especially farm games, and take a closer look at my game are completely surprised that they haven't heard of Behind the Horizon before. In the meantime, there are also some Let's plays on Youtube that are already further advanced in the game.

However, when I see how much attention 7 year old titles like Stardew still get, I wonder what these developers are doing differently. I would even go so far as to say that at least a third of all Stardew players would love Behind the Horizon -- if they knew that it exists ;-) !

On that note, I'm grateful for any help :)
Jadawin

Hello Community,

Once again Behind the Horizon has received a major update. This time I have finally introduced the achievements and stats that many have been asking for. In addition, the game now has auto cloud support.

In addition, I have further optimised the controller operation, which is now even more intuitive and simple.

First tests on the SteamDeck are coming soon, so you will be able to play Behind the Horizon mobile on the SteamDeck soon.

UpdateAchievementsEN.png

Back
Top Bottom