Oblivion BETTER OBLIVION IS READY FOR YOU

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
Well, everyone is more cautious about everything; there's been enough IP trolling. I suppose you could host the mod on your blog and probably never be challenged about it.

I've checked a few random mods out of curiosity. There's a "Permission and credits" section in all mods that specify what you can and can't do. But most require permission, I guess that's the default setting:

1663228122611.png

I've seen some mods taking it easy though: "This mod uses the resources from the Classic Witcher. I contacted the original author for permission but got no reply. I made changes to the body texture, but the rest is the same. The resources are repackaged here, so you don't need to install the Classic Witcher mod." :D So they don't seem too strict about it.

Some mods even include Doom's tracks FFS, I doubt that is even close to legal (I think their code is in the public domain but not the music). Maybe Nexus only check when you upload the mod for the first time, then forget about it?

Why don't they just follow Creative Commons or General Public licensing like most open source programs? I.e. the developer could pick the license they want to use, include a license file in the distribution and others using/modifying/redistributing the original content have to follow the terms in the license?

Then just pick a license which prohibits modification and/or redistribution. Can't be that difficult. Seems like the licensing and people not understanding what licensing means is a problem here. Can't expect them to understand as many modders are amateurs, but the sites distributing the mods would benefit adding a license requirement on their site and help in selecting the correct license similar to GitHub for instance.

Can't expect them to understand as many modders are amateurs, but the sites distributing the mods would benefit adding a license requirement on their site and help in selecting the correct license similar to GitHub for instance.
That's what they do, see for ex. my earlier post. But all the modders I've seen selected the option requiring to ask permission to re-use the mod by someone else. A number of them probably don't care and clicked OK with a default setting.

Back
Top Bottom