Black Geyser: Couriers of Darkness demo steamkeys

I tried the demo for awhile. It seems OK. There's a lot of classes to choose from, though the mechanics are not currently explained very well during creation. Stats sort of like a Pillars "No Dump Stats" approach, but at least a bit more logical (e.g., strength and constitution have been merged into one attribute called physique).

I would probably buy the game once it came out if it had turn-based combat. But I really dislike RTwP combat in general, and while I trudged through it in Baldur's Gate and NWN, this seems like an even worse, more chaotic implementation. Perhaps they will improve the AI during EA but at best it would be mediocre for me.

If someone creates a TB mod or they even do an official mode, I'll consider getting it then. But there's enough promising TB cRPGs on the horizon that I don't see why I'd get something I'm guaranteed to enjoy less.

Also, still unsure about the greed system as effectively punishing players for looting enemy corpses by raising prices, etc. seems like a bad mechanic…

Yeah, greed is a bit too punitive - I think they could strike a balance (an it is an interesting dilemma for us looting murder hobos ;-) Right now, it's too harsh - they should balance it with some of reward for non-greedy behaviour

Isnt the balance the lack of a penalty?

Is there a penalty (I mean to combat etc)? I didn't know that... My problem is more that even looting bodies of evil minions is bad...so how are you supposed to get money/resources to help fight these minions? I understand that stealing from people, or the poor, is bad, but if you defeat a foe, then I don't see why that shouldn't be fair game.

Is there a penalty (I mean to combat etc)? I didn't know that… My problem is more that even looting bodies of evil minions is bad…so how are you supposed to get money/resources to help fight these minions? I understand that stealing from people, or the poor, is bad, but if you defeat a foe, then I don't see why that shouldn't be fair game.

What's funny is that you can take anything you want in most places, and no one says a word. Hopefully they change that before the game is released, but in the demo/test I was looting chests in town right in front of people and never heard a peep about it.

What's funny is that you can take anything you want in most places, and no one says a word. Hopefully they change that before the game is released, but in the demo/test I was looting chests in town right in front of people and never heard a peep about it.

So you can pretty much steal anything in town and be fine but as soon as you loot the corpse of a goblin, you get "greedy" ?

Duh!

My understanding is that the demo and EA has no punishment system for the greed implemented at this point. You will earn points of greed and even lose points of greed for not accepting rewards. However, this doesn't change the status of the world or NPC behavior at this point. That is all yet to come.

@rjshae; or @JDR13; Are either of you interested in the early access version of this game? I haven't bought anybody a freebie in a while and this is the first party-based game I've played much of since Solasta. You two are on my friends list on Steam and have it wishlisted so….

@rjshae; or @JDR13; Are either of you interested in the early access version of this game? I haven't bought anybody a freebie in a while and this is the first party-based game I've played much of since Solasta. You two are on my friends list on Steam and have it wishlisted so….

Didn't see this until now. Thanks for the offer, but I have so many games lined up right now, I doubt I'd touch Black Geyser for a very long time.

No worries. Pathfinder is eating up all my gaming cycles now and I'm not even that into it!

Back
Top Bottom