Black Geyser - Interview by Couchpotato

Cool interview, but seems one question's answer is incomplete.

RPGWatch: What side quest do they think came out the coolest?

GrapeOcean: We have some favorites, but there is only one side quest in the game that we consider deep enough and good in every aspect: the

Cool interview, but seems one question's answer is incomplete.
Yep just noticed that the article still needed a little editing sorry about that.

RPGWatch: What side quest did they think came out the coolest?

GrapeOcean:We have some favorites, but there is only one side quest in the game that we consider deep enough and good in every aspect: the Trapped Under the Surface quest. It has a huge complexity mathematically so we had no time to apply all planned refinements on it, but it's still a side quest of its own right. By the way, it was the very first quest created for the game, and initially we planned 90% of side quests of the game to be like this. For a sequel, we want most side quests to be as deep and engaging as Trapped Under the Surface.
@HiddenX can you correct that.

"The entire UI of certain mainstream RPGs is apparently modeled after kindergarten toys, yet people purchase these games in big quantities." :LOL:
Have to agree with them sadly. These days the simpler/more accessible something is the greater the target audience it has. It's something Developers/Artists have to grapple with. Do they go mainstream and make more money? Or do they stay true to their original vision and maintain their artistic integrity. There is no simple/right answer but with publishers involved sadly some people get forced to go in a certain direction. Accessibility is even a good thing for certain market segments i.e. people with disabilities.

Not everyone wants to play Checkers when they can play Chess though.

I have to admire and like how in-depth their answers were. No one liner cop-outs here. They did a nice job!

I've broken up the larger chunks of text to make the interview easier to read.
Thanks I sent in the rough draft for editing, and HiddenX did a good job.

I have to admire and like how in-depth their answers were. No one liner cop-outs here. They did a nice job!
I agree very informative answers and not the usual short reply, or no comment for tough questions. I was tempted to use Nereida's logic for one question, but decided not to.

That persons name was in my mind as I read the interview more than a couple times.

That aside, they [the developers] seemed very honest and candid about things which is refreshing. It seems the larger the corporate influence the more PR and fluff you get.

It was a good read and I have enjoyed the game myself.

Last edited:
Thank you for the interview couch and for Grapeocean for their honest answers. Looking forward to supporting them and playing Black Geyser.

Have to agree with them sadly. These days the simpler/more accessible something is the greater the target audience it has. It's something Developers/Artists have to grapple with. Do they go mainstream and make more money? Or do they stay true to their original vision and maintain their artistic integrity. There is no simple/right answer but with publishers involved sadly some people get forced to go in a certain direction. Accessibility is even a good thing for certain market segments i.e. people with disabilities.

Not everyone wants to play Checkers when they can play Chess though.
Agreed - I wasn't laughing at the quote, I was laughing that they had the balls to say it. I like these guys.

But I think the main thing driving dumbed-down gaming is consoles and their audience, not publishers. Publishers just know where the big money is, and that's fine, it's their job.

Fortunately, there's also still plenty of money to be made by making and selling niche games, even if it's a small fraction.

CouchPotato, congratulations for the interview :)

Keep'em coming!! :thumbsup:

That persons name was in my mind as I read the interview more than a couple times. They seemed very honest and candid about things which is refreshing. It seems the larger the corporate influence the more PR and fluff you get.
I'm not sure if honest and candid would be the words I'd use, but I guess we all perceive things differently. :)

Your welcome and yes limited resources and demanding players is a fine line. I feel like the reply about review scores was a rant. They probably read Nereida's posts. :LOL:

I'm not sure if honest and candid would be the words I'd use, but I guess we all perceive things differently. :)
Maybe should clarify, just in case, that I was referring to the interview being honest and candid. I should have added a paragraph break there or something. Fixed it to be more clear.

Back
Top Bottom