Brigandine: The Legend of Runersia - Review

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Henriquejr spotted an older review for Brigandine: Legend of Runersia at Explorminate:

Brigandine: Legend of Runersia Review

When I was young, every year I received the same gift for my birthday. My mom would take me to the game store and I could pick out one that would come home with me. There were certainly mistakes made over the years, but two of the better choices that I made defined my expectations for gaming going forward. Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together was the first, and later, Brigandine: The Legend of Forsena. While Tactics Ogre has had varying levels of success in being reintroduced, I'm happy to say that Brigandine: The Legend of Runersia nearly achieves perfection in carrying on the legacy of the original.

RUNERSIA: A NEW WORLD TO CONQUER
Runersia is a world that will remind any returning player of the series of Forsena, even if there are several important differences that set them apart. The experience begins with a selection of six nations that can be selected, each with a story uniquely its own with a separate overarching plot that leads toward the endgame and the final boss fight. Five factions have brigandines, artifacts imbued with mighty power from the Rune God, while the sixth does not and absolutely refuses to acknowledge the others' perceived superiority.

Enter the Gustavan Empire, the first of these that I played. They were not only on-brand for my tastes but also immediately reminded me of Norgard, my favorite from Forsena. They certainly were not a disappointment, but Emperor Tim had some particularly large shoes to fill following Vaynard of Norgard, and he couldn't quite accomplish it even though he was a strong character that earned my respect after only a few hours.

[...]

THE BOTTOM LINE
Brigandine: The Legend of Runersia is an excellent entry for a genre that has needed some improvement and innovation. It carries on the series' legacy of offering a title that stands out from its competitors and leaves a lasting impression on its players. Whether you enjoy intense tactical encounters, deep army management, engaging storylines, or simply painting a world map your color, Runersia has you covered. I know that I'll be coming back to this one often in the future, especially now that we've got a couple more modes to keep us occupied. I can only hope that the recently released Tactics Ogre: Reborn lived up to its legacy as well as Brigandine: The Legend of Runersia has. That one is next on my list!
More information.

Hey, not so older, mein Freund! It's from last November :)
(Damn it, these kids today think anything older than a week is really old :p)

I really enjoyed the original and mean to get around to this someday. Reviews suggest it's a well done sequel that lives up to its pedigree.

Back
Top Bottom