Broken Roads - Gamescom Trailer

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Drop Bear Bytes announced a 2023 release for Broken Roads and shared their new Gamescon trailer. They also presented their publisher, Versus Evil:

Broken Roads - Official Gamescom Trailer

Broken Roads is an RPG that takes inspiration from the golden age of traditional computer role-playing and the great titles of the genre. You will experience an immersive, story-driven adventure that takes place in a post apocalyptic Australia.
Thanks Redglyph!

More information.

Actually they already had a publisher it was Team17.

This is a new a trend lately and doubt they will ever explain why. Every-time this happens the game gets delayed. Probably due to new influx of cash to improve the game.

Anyway just another game to add to the huge pile of delayed games to 2023.:sniff:

Well, I suppose this was inevitable.

No surprise though. There hadn't been a lot of gameplay footage shown, and I think most people expected it would end up in 2023 which is starting to look pretty crowded at this point.

This leaves me with only 3 titles I'm really looking forward to in 2022 - System Shock, Urban Strife, and Monomyth. Also Atomic Heart to a lesser degree. I feel like maybe 1 or 2 of those might get released this year.

Actually they already had a publisher it was Team17.
Heh, I must have missed that, I thought they were self-published. Not that I paid much attention.

I'm hoping it's not released too late in 2023, at least they haven't announced new features - that's usually how they justify a delay with a new publisher. But then there's no precise date or even a quarter so...

They have clarified their announcement, and there are improvements:

NEW TRAILER AND VERSUS EVIL PUBLISHER ANNOUNCEMENT!
Broken Roads is being published by Versus Evil, launching on PC and consoles in 2023.

We are incredibly happy to announce that Drop Bear Bytes have entered into a partnership with Versus Evil, acclaimed indie publisher of such titles as Pillars of Eternity 1 & 2, Hand of Merlin and Eville.

We’ve been working with Versus Evil all of this year and are really stoked to partner with them. They've published some of the best RPGs of the last decade and it's great that Broken Roads is joining their lineup.

There have been a number of significant changes and improvements we’ve been tight-lipped about which we will go into more detail next week at gamescom and show off in upcoming dev blogs and videos, including:
  • Major improvements to environment and character art
  • Shift to fully 3D maps (from 2D tile-based scenes)
  • We have revamped combat, but will touch on that in the future
  • Entirely reworked skill system, moving from skill trees to integer-based skills
  • Overhaul and improvement of all animations
  • UI redesign coming in the next few months
  • Additional artists, developers and designers are now in the project
We’re also working with Knights of Unity (the team that helped develop Disco Elysium) who have been doing a fantastic job across the board over the last six months, from Unity tools through to many of the in-game improvements mentioned above.

Please enjoy the new trailer, come say hi if you are at gamescom, and we look forward to bringing you more updates soon!

I'm pretty sure those improvements come along with the partnership, they basically redesigned the combat, the graphics and the UI... 😲

I'm a little concerned by the mentions of Unity, I hope it's not the engine as I've always thought it was Unreal.

Broken Roads engine is Unity.

I don't recall hearing about any indie CRPGs of this nature (top down view etc) ever using Unreal, with the one exception of Colony Ship.

edit: I guess Urban Strife uses Unreal?

Last edited:
Broken Roads engine is Unity.

I don't recall hearing about any indie CRPGs of this nature (top down view etc) ever using Unreal, with the one exception of Colony Ship.

edit: I guess Urban Strife uses Unreal?
Yes, Urban Strife, and Expeditions: Rome, Avowed, Weird West...
It's not the most used in that category, indeed.

Wouldn't classify Avowed and Weird West in this category. Didn't know about Expeditions: Rome, interesting.

It's an action game which isn't really what I had in mind, and I don't think it fits either of the definitions of "CRPG" (looks more like a console game than a computer game, and it certainly isn't a "classic RPG"). Haven't played it though, so maybe I'm off-base.

Ah ok. It seemed like you were emphasizing the camera view more in your original comment which I could understand. For some reason, I find it unusual for a top-down or isometric game to use the Unreal Engine. Probably because we mostly just had first or third person games with Unreal Engines 1-4.

Back
Top Bottom