Building a new site

I figured he was talking to Taluntain from Sorcerer's Place since he already offered (in the "End is Nigh" thread) and he already hosts several other older sites along these lines, as well as the Codex too. The ads on the Codex aren't too bad.

The ads aren't too bad, and if you donate money to Sorcerer's Place you can get rid of the ads for a time - if you spend enough money even for a lifetime.

PS: I just checked the ad-free option it via the Codex - I had some credits left from crowdfunding - it works.

I own that domain. Looks like I forgot to redirect it to RPGWatch.com. It now goes to the server's default page :)

I don't have any modern programing experience, can do some news stuff if needed as I have done a few in the past...I can always add my sunny disposition to the site;)

I am happy to do something as well or put down some money. I have 25 years dev experience but mostly in backend stuff like Java/C#/SQL etc. Minimal PHP. Also happy to do backend stuff i.e. backups/patching etc.

The ads aren't too bad, and if you donate money to Sorcerer's Place you can get rid of the ads for a time - if you spend enough money even for a lifetime.

Yes, I have some suggestions for what they can do with that. But I won't rock the boat at this stage. If it's a smooth transfer, and the community gets to to continue more or less as people are used to, that should make a lot of folks happy, and the notice could be changed to "The End is Not In Fact Nigh." For Myrthos, I think this is probably the closest to what most of the community would want, at least for now.

They better be nice overlords, though. I'm building a boat, just in case.

Yes, I have some suggestions for what they can do with that. But I won't rock the boat at this stage. If it's a smooth transfer, and the community gets to to continue more or less as people are used to, that should make a lot of folks happy, and the notice could be changed to "The End is Not In Fact Nigh." For Myrthos, I think this is probably the closest to what most of the community would want, at least for now.

They better be nice overlords, though. I'm building a boat, just in case.

We could build a second site Ripper: The Turn Based Grognards Inn

We could build a second site Ripper: The Turn Based Grognards Inn

I like it. :biggrin: If people were actually interested, I'd do it, and we can see how it might work, and have a side channel in case things turn sour.

Lol. Over here wrongun' is fairly common slang that means a dodgy person, or sometimes, literally a rectum. Is there some worse version I should know about? :p

Just to correct this and Ripper should know better; a 'wrongun' is a cricketing term referring to a type of spin bowling delivery. Here endeth today's lesson!! :)

Just to correct this and Ripper should know better; a 'wrongun' is a cricketing term referring to a type of spin bowling delivery. Here endeth today's lesson!! :)

I suspect my definition preceded it. :p

I'm willing to help. Drupal was mentioned as a good CMS to use (not perfect, but met the needs). I did a fair amount of Drupal work for non-profit in NYC from about 2008-2013 and I use it currently (though a very locked down version) for one of my kids' organizations. If that's the way we want to go, I'd be happy to work on it.

I thought he meant the cricket meaning and I had never heard of the other meaning before. I thought it was along the lines of - we expect the new owner will do one thing and then he does another thing i.e. goes in a different direction than what we though. Like how a wrongun goes right when you think it will go left :).

I thought it was along the lines of - we expect the new owner will do one thing and then he does another thing i.e. goes in a different direction than what we though. Like how a wrongun goes right when you think it will go left :).

Well, possibly that, too!

I have no technical skills to speak of, but if you build it I will come.

I thought he meant the cricket meaning and I had never heard of the other meaning before. I thought it was along the lines of - we expect the new owner will do one thing and then he does another thing i.e. goes in a different direction than what we though. Like how a wrongun goes right when you think it will go left :).

We probably need to make a special thread explaining Cricket for all the Americans and possibly a few Europeans who have absolutely no idea whatsoever about the game!! :D

Obviously, the best possible outcome is for everything to be transferred as is, but if that's not possible with a new site, I hope we can at least transfer the old one as an archive (similar to what was done with RPGDot). It's an absolute gold mine of RPG information, which really sets it apart from various Discord channels and such.

I don't entirely agree, I think the most important point right now is the technical part, it's all listed earlier that we need to clarify. That's what takes time and what gives us an idea of what we're about to tackle - it's the critical path.

That will tell who's ready to handle this (hopefully more than one person) for the transition and for the future maintenance. Unless you just want to decide who will do something without knowing exactly what. ;) Besides, who will be legally responsible can still be decided the day before the change.
I get what you mean. You prefer a bottom-up approach while I think it's better to do it top-down.
I prefer top-down because in the end we're not in a democracy here. Whoever will own the site will make the calls. (Of course if he or she is smart he or she will also listen to the team.)
So I just don't see who could decide anything at this point. As much as I like this community we're just a random buch of internet strangers. (Except for the current staff of course. If they decide for a certain solution I guess the community would just follow.)

However the solution Myrthos hinted is currently by far the best. Perhaps we should just wait what comes out of it.

I get what you mean. You prefer a bottom-up approach while I think it's better to do it top-down.
I prefer top-down because in the end we're not in a democracy here. Whoever will own the site will make the calls. (Of course if he or she is smart he or she will also listen to the team.)
So I just don't see who could decide anything at this point. As much as I like this community we're just a random buch of internet strangers. (Except for the current staff of course. If they decide for a certain solution I guess the community would just follow.)

However the solution Myrthos hinted is currently by far the best. Perhaps we should just wait what comes out of it.

Agreed, we should wait and it would be the ideal solution.

I just meant that looking for a solution made by ourselves takes time. The first thing you need before making any decision, whatever the structure, is an estimation of the work you're facing and a good idea of the result, for the different options.

I certainly didn't mean to start working on that; I wouldn't do it if I wasn't sure it would be approved (apart from doing some blank tests). :)

One major thing that would be really needed to start somewhere else anew is commitment. It's easy to say now you are committed, but the feeling and energy you have at this moment will be gone in weeks or maybe months from now.
If you have a job, it means almost all of your evenings and weekends are going to be spent on this. Maybe you think this is easier with more people, but it really isn't as it can lead to a lot of disagreement and because of that people signing off. Working with multiple people on a project requires clear agreements on the responsibilities.
Then think of what happens if someone does not do what he or she was expected to do. Not a lot really, it is all unpaid work and people do it in their spare time.

This is already difficult to establish at work and there everybody is paid for what they do. it becomes much more difficult once it needs to be done in your spare time.

But before you get to all that, you need to agree on the vision of this new place. Who are you making it for and what do you want to achieve?

I'm not trying to scare you in any way :) But getting the vision down and finding people that are really committed to make that vision work and understand what it takes to get there, would be essential in making it work.

Back
Top Bottom