Call of Saregnar, RPG In Development

For what its worth I don't mind the actors. Considering its probably a low budget game, the other options are probably low res 3d models or something like that. Most low budget rpgs aren't great on visuals, and I think that the visual look fine. After all you're not probably trying to compete with something like Pillars of Eternity. I do think having multiple difficulty setting is a good idea.

For me, I just find the look slightly comical, to the point that it becomes immersion-breaking. If it were me, I'd go with Kordanor's suggestion of applying filters that make the photos look like paintings, and then digitizing them. To me, that would avoid the jarring effect.

Of course, I'm not trying the berate the dev - if that's how he wants to do it, more power to him. What I might suggest, is that perhaps looking at the feedback pragmatically, it might not be a style that helps to attract customers.

I appreciate all you feedback guys, but I like and don't really want to steer too far away from the photographic/photorealistic look. I'd rather modify the world textures than make the characters look more "painted". While my approach may appear jarring to some, others like it, me included. I guess it all depends whether you played certain games of old. This will also allow my game to stand out from the rest.

I'm one of those that like it. I really enjoy this Krondor style a lot. One of the biggest reasons why the old games didn't age well, is because 320x200 resolution and 256 colours don't look that great on a 1080p monitor when using a photorealistic style (the painterly style games such as King's Quest and Kyrandia obviously still have their charm). However, you've kept the charm of those style of games, while fixing the aging issues, by using much higher quality textures and sprites. I am one of those who think you should keep it this way, as it will stand out over the style of the other indie RPGs currently in existence.

I would, however, definitely consider keeping an open mind though about some graphics options that can be adjusted. One small gesture could convince many more people to consider experiencing your creation.

Looking forward to seeing more progress!

Thank you guys for all the feedback. I will give it a try at some filters, and try to reduce the photographic look a bit. Maybe it will work and maybe it won't be a major production hurdle and can be automated.

Just finished texturing a shop.

fA3RqVi.png

Like forgottenlor, I also don't mind the digitized actors. To me the overall graphical style evokes Betrayal at Krondor in a nice way.

Will there be puzzle chests?

Beautiful. Not just similar to BaK/BaA but also Shadows over Riva/Star Trail when in 3d movement mode.

Some more screenshots for you, since it's saturday.

WjFxpI4.png

3sfhk81.png

wk8eKRW.png

BwCmLYL.png

I’ve no idea! ;) seriously though, it’s far from done. If perhaps I end up doing a crowdfunding campaign, you might get to play a demo in a year’s time or so. Otherwise, I plan to develop this for many many years.

I'd back a crowdfunding campaign if you do one.

I appreciate it. If I decide to go with it, I will need all the support I can get to get such a relatively niche product funded.

Before today I thought I backed it already. ^^
Not too happy regarding the fmv style but would back "again". ^^

Thanks guys, it means a lot to me.

I've been working on combat since the last post. Here's how it looks at the moment.

rNYvlsH.png

T9zsTNI.png

Back
Top Bottom