Callisto Protocol (new video)

D

DArtagnan

Looks good to me. I like that stealth is a potential avenue this time around.

Monsters look well made, though they don't seem to have the same unique feel as the necromorphs did. The "action sequence" in the last half of the video is the sort of "cinematic experience" I really don't care too much for in my games, but Dead Space had its share of those as well, so I guess that's to be expected.

I also think the facial tech they're using is coming off really well in the gameplay. Looks very detailed and captures emotions very well considering.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZ8swZdUl00

The animations look fine to me. Quite good in fact.

The only thing I might have an issue with is how derivative of Dead Space it is. I already knew it was similar, but that could literally be passed off as Dead Space 4.

I guess that could be good or bad depending on the viewpoint. I love Dead Space so, for me, aping it isn't bad as long as it's done right, and this looks like it's being done right.

Didn't see the Gamescom stuff, but based on that video - animations look good to me.

I'm not into the over-the-top gore personally, and I think time could be better spent on other ways to enrich the game - but whatever.

I'm such a sucker for sci-fi horror that I'll play most anything in the genre.

Dead Space was never really THAT great for me, as it's more like a shooter with (very) light RPG elements. But the exploration is strong and the story is decent enough.

Callisto looks like a (modest) evolution - and that's enough for me :)

The Callisto Protocol Isn’t Just Dead Space 4

Matt saw new footage of The Callisto Protocol, and came back with a list of reasons why it isn’t just Dead Space 4. Mutations, work benches, powers, and a slew of other changes make this a game all its own.
The Callisto Protocol is Reinventing The Horror Game Genre

We sat down with The Callisto Protocol dev, Mark James, to talk about how the upcoming survival horror game is reinventing what it means to be a horror game. The Callisto Protocol is being developed by Striking Distance Studios and directed by Glen Schofield, creator of the Dead Space franchise.

This sounds pretty cool - and it goes beyond the kind of thing I expected from the game.
I guess the only way it's different from Alien Isolation is that you can actually kill them. They sound more like the stalker from Last of us 2. I hated them with a passion. Skittering about, and sneaking up on me. :D

I guess the only way it's different from Alien Isolation is that you can actually kill them. They sound more like the stalker from Last of us 2. I hated them with a passion. Skittering about, and sneaking up on me. :D
Hehe, yeah - as it was intended :)

One of the issues with Dead Space (and many games like it) is that monster behavior is predictable and you'll often know exactly when you're going to encounter something.

I would say, though, that DS1 is better than most - because the devs are good at distracting you with just enough quiet moments and just enough variety in spawn locations to make it less predictable.

If Callisto has stalking enemies that don't behave in a linear fashion, that's really cool.

I can only hope the game will be a bit bigger and more exploration-oriented. For me, the best part of Dead Space was exploring the Ishimura - and NOT shooting limbs off of enemies.

Hehe, yeah - as it was intended :)

One of the issues with Dead Space (and many games like it) is that monster behavior is predictable and you'll often know exactly when you're going to encounter something.

I would say, though, that DS1 is better than most - because the devs are good at distracting you with just enough quiet moments and just enough variety in spawn locations to make it less predictable.

If Callisto has stalking enemies that don't behave in a linear fashion, that's really cool.

I can only hope the game will be a bit bigger and more exploration-oriented. For me, the best part of Dead Space was exploring the Ishimura - and NOT shooting limbs off of enemies.
Yeah, I also hope it has a sufficiently cerebral and intriguing narrative. Deep space is full of potential for interesting subject matter and philosophical themes. I hope it has something, it would be a real shame if it's just shit went wrong, survive. Plus, that way, they could do horror the way it's meant to, by unnerving you with the themes, and not just gore. I hope all the focus on gore is pure marketing, and that it has something deeper underneath.

The vent thing sounds like an evolution of what's already in Dead Space.

Most of the time, Necromorphs will just burst out of a vent and attack you. However, there were a few times when the AI surprised me. For example, if you flee Necromorphs by entering a room where the door can close behind you, they'll reenter the ventilation system and enter that room through a vent if one exists.

It's nothing particularly complex, but it's a nice touch, and it scared the shit out of me the first time it happened since I wasn't expecting it. :)

Well, essentially Dead Space by another name, with sinister mysteries to be discovered in the oceans of Jovian moons? Alrighty then.

I shall be recieving this game into my den.

It seems like there are lots of opportunities to insta-kill necrophages by dropping them into grinders, etc. I hope that's going to be limited. The footage makes it seem really easy to just pick them up via telekinesis and toss them around.

I can imagine that waterslide scene going from entertaining to frustrating after about 1 reload.

But, yeah, you know...Dead Space, more zombies, gravity gun is so 2004. Kicking enemies into the spikes like in Dark Messiah. Ehhhhhh, not impressed. Show me something I haven't played before. =)

What I'm curious about would be the "beta paths" - which is apparently their way of saying optional exploration content.

While I appreciate the expanded arsenal, especially the stealth avenue - what I really want from a game like this is more exploration and non-combat stuff to discover.

If it's true that they've expanded this significantly from Dead Space (I believe I heard that from the lead in an earlier interview) - then this could be really something.

Am I correct in assuming one will need an RTX card or equivalent to see that effect?
I'm not sure, actually.

I would assume the game will have some kind of raytracing effects requiring such a card, though.

It doesn't sound like he's bragging to me. It sounds like he's explaining why he's not facing the public constantly.

I get the sense that these guys are genuinely passionate about their work - and that they're pouring their hearts and souls into the game. That could be bullshit, of course, but I think they did the same kind of thing with Dead Space.

While I don't think Dead Space was the perfect game or anything, it was very clearly a labor of love and commitment.

Of course, being honest about such a thing does come at a cost - and he clearly wasn't prepared for the mindless assault.

I think that only underpins the exhaustion part - as he probably wasn't thinking too much about what he was saying.

That whole "crunch is the devil and it's always about the evil corporation" song doesn't quite ring true to me.

I think there are many reasons people crunch.

Back
Top Bottom