Capes - PAX West Impression @ RPGamer

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
RPGamer checked out the tactical RPG Capes:

Capes PAX West Impression

Capes is a story about superheroes reclaiming their city from super villains and their agents, with a lot of characters to dive into there's someone to connect with.

Superheroes have been a surefire way to gain interest in recent years. There's a vast array of possible directions for superhero stories, be they straight good-versus-evil tales or closer examinations of how they might deal with the general populace. Spitfire Interactive's tactical turn-based RPG Capes takes a look at an underground movement of superheroes as they fight back against the supervillain regime that won the fight for the city.

Capes is set twenty years after the supervillains initially took over the city, and players control a burgeoning group of crime fighters that are trying to reclaim it. The party is built up slowly as they steadily find others with superpowers who want to change the status quo. Recruitment isn't one-sided, however, as agents track down anyone who gets superpowers, and they're disposed of it they don't join the supervillains.

In between main story missions, there are also repeatable levels and side quests to go through for extra levels and world building. These quests have different objectives to deal with and are all launched from Cape, the headquarters for this intrepid band of heroes. The demo shows two of the heroes: Facet, who is able to crystalize himself or nearby particles to provide high defence, and Rebound, who teleports short distances in a puff of smoke to be an agile member. They are on a mission to save Mindfire, a wheelchair bound telekinetic, from being captured by agents.

[...]
More information.

Been a while since I read any news on this game. Glad it's still alive.

Don't remember this game and sounds interesting. Something to monitor on my end as I loved Midnight Suns and remember playing a superhero MMO a long time ago (forget the name at the moment) that I really enjoyed.

The fact that it isn't stuck on DC or Marvel makes me hopeful for the game. It will save a ton of money and they won't have to try and fit things in to either IP.

I lost some hours to City of Heroes, that was a lot of fun to play. I keep hoping City of Titans will roll out, yet I don't think my expectations on that one could be much lower.

I played the demo this morning. It's ok, but I wouldn't pay full price for this game. I didn't really like any of the heroes. I also feel the art direction is a bit meh, but that's subjective.

What really turned me off though was the waves of enemy reinforcements. I'm not a fan of multiple waves being dropped right on top of me during a tactical battle, and this game does it a lot. I quit during the 3rd mission in the demo after the 3rd or 4th wave of enemies fell out of the sky. Another thing going against it, and makes the aforementioned complaint worse, is that the arenas are quite small.

Indeed. Waves only appeal to me if the player has the same option, namely, to also summon reinforcements. Simply raining down additional opposition isn't my ideal of fun, especially if done often.

Back
Top Bottom