CD Projekt RED - Worry Not

They cant because MU is not compatible with SP.

Like asking a formula one car to be a family car. It is not compatible.

Vid products claiming to conciliate both sides simply favour one other the other. Often, SP customers are asked to fund the MU part.

This is not true in the least. In fact, MP development techniques can actually improve SP design because the SP game is forced to adhere to the system and good coding practice. Its far more difficult to "game" the code and design when MP is involved, which happens to SP all the time. With SP you "just need to get it to work". With MP you can't have a single point of failure or the whole system collapses.

The comments on the posted video were confusing. When possible just link to as an accurate as possible translation of the original interview's text and don't propagate needless middle-man interpreters.

Case in point, this Google Translation of the interview:

Adam Kiciński, CD President PROJECT: How is the work on Cyberpunk 2077, GWINT and further plans for the game The Witcher

We visited the Witcher's CD PROJECT. Especially for readers of the Investor Zone, the president of the company Adam Kiciński talked about how the work on the game Cyberpunk 2077 and the card GWINT. The meeting was all the more interesting that the market valuation of the company is literally about hair exceeding the value of 12 billion. CD PROJEKT is the best-performing video game company in 2017. After hearing what Adam Kiciński has to say, you will not be surprised why.

Adam Kiciński surprised us with the declaration that in the future CD PROJEKT sees itself in the segment of online multiplayer games. A lot of thought has given us a suggestion that the Witcher can return, but certainly in another form.

We have met with the President of the CD Projekt at the Witcher's Inn. This is where the A Round of Gwent program of the GWINT card game comes from.

At this time, the market valuation of CD PROJECT is approaching PLN 12 billion. At present, the company is working on two key projects, Cyberpunk 2077 and GWINT. Simultaneously it develops the GOG Galaxy platform. And these are the three issues we were most interested in talking to the boss of the company.

President Kiciński declared that in the long term CD PROJEKT sees itself in the segment of online multiplayer games, and from this point of view card GWINT is a strategic project. So far, the company has been working on its proper balancing and it will only be in the beginning of 2018 and will be promoted more widely.
The President of the CD PROJECT surprised us with another statement. It is possible to continue the series The Witcher, but in a slightly different form. Fans and investors would not forgive us if we abandoned this project forever - said Adam Kiciński.

and from the translation from the video itself, plus their follow-up clarification on social-media, it seems much being made of nothing.

I always felt that the people who were the most fair and generous didn't actually talk much about it at all.

This is exactly how I feel.

It may be a typical PR response, but my impression of "good guys" is that they never really need to state how "fair" and "pro-consumer" they are. To me, the most generous types of people are the ones that give and give without seeking recognition by saying "look how fair and great I am/we are."

I still think CDPR has a ton of potential and I'm curious to see what 2077 holds for the future. I've never truly been interested in 2077, but knowing it's from a developer that's made games I personally enjoyed means I feel pretty confident that it will be a great product, and I can't say that about a lot of long time, big name studios out there much anymore.

Interesting, didn't know the Polish money was called zloty. I looked up the current exchange rate and 1 zloty is worth .28 cents of a dollar, or to make it more clear, one us dollar is worth 3.6 zloty.

So that makes it easier to understand that the exchange rate helps them quite a bit in Poland.

Does it? I doubt it since value of a currency doesn't really infer anything about the economy of that country. Even though I have to pay like 10 items of my own currency to exchange it for 1 € my country is richer and more expensive than the average member of the Eurozone. I think you have to look at other statistics like average salary, cost of living, taxes and so on instead. For example in Toronto average salary after tax is around 2,300 € while in Warsaw its more like 900 €.

With the globalization, spread of decent internet and knowledge I expect us to see more games being produced outside of the rich part of the world.

The issue isn't strictly one of exchange rates, it's one of costs. You can hire a software developer in Boulder, CO for less than you would have to pay to hire one in San Francisco, even though both cities pay in US dollars. Lower cost of production is a competitive advantage, all else being equal.

The issue isn't strictly one of exchange rates, it's one of costs. You can hire a software developer in Boulder, CO for less than you would have to pay to hire one in San Francisco, even though both cities pay in US dollars. Lower cost of production is a competitive advantage, all else being equal.

BTW man, you previously talked about inflation and rising costs of games, even though price hasn't risen. I realized later that digital delivery of games is also a recent development that has significantly reduced the cost of producing most games. No hard product to manufacture; no need to ship to store, etc. Chances are when this gets factored in the cost to manufacture and deliver game now as opposed to 2006 (the date you chose for your analysis) has actually resulted in a decreased manufacturing cost. We should actually be paying less, but the video game studios simply don't pass those savings along to the customer.

__

Steam and GOG take a 30% cut on everything sold through them and that's where the vast majority of people buy their PC games. Still pretty big costs of selling each game, though it's less than physical copies, but maybe not by as much as one might think.

I love threads like this where all the armchair economists, tax consultants, immigration lawyers and union reps throw their opinions in. :)

Apply a tiny bit of that math skill to credit card debt and you'd be much better off.

I don't have any credit card debt; I've literally never put anything on a credit card that I couldn't have paid for immediately with a check.

I love threads like this where all the armchair economists, tax consultants, immigration lawyers and union reps throw their opinions in. :)

Apply a tiny bit of that math skill to credit card debt and you'd be much better off.

Obviously, there's no way to reach your level of thread contribution no matter what we do ;)

This is exactly how I feel. It may be a typical PR response, but my impression of "good guys" is that they never really need to state how "fair" and "pro-consumer" they are.

It's also about perception. My "perception" (which may be clouded by past experience with competing companies, etc.) is that companies like CDPR and Larian provide good value for my gaming dollar. They've earned that perception in a way that companies like EA have not. So, when they do something that might seem self-serving (DLCs for enhanced, post-release PR) they've built up enough good will to combat that in my eyes.

I personally agree with the assertion that games should cost 70.00 and that the first AAA company to come forth and say: "we're raising the price of our games 10.00 to combat the need for loot boxes and microtransactions" will receive a healthy dose of positive PR. I could see Take 2/Rockstar taking a shot at that with Red Dead 2, although RD2 is already confirmed to have a significant multiplayer option, so is likely to have built-in microtransactions as well...

I'm not sure companies could do that. My impression (and I may be wrong) was that the price of AAA console games was fixed by the console manufacturers as part of their licensing agreements.

This is not true in the least. In fact, MP development techniques can actually improve SP design because the SP game is forced to adhere to the system and good coding practice. Its far more difficult to "game" the code and design when MP is involved, which happens to SP all the time. With SP you "just need to get it to work". With MP you can't have a single point of failure or the whole system collapses.

Making a design that exists on its own subservient to another is not improvement.

Everytime a SP design is forced to co exist with a MU design, the SP design must be cleansed of anything that is not compatible with MU.

Features are not ruled out because they would add no value. They are despite their values and because they do not fit with MU design.

Not the path to improvement.

Back
Top Bottom