Collecting of Big Boxes of old RPGs

I only know board games shops which have a similar kind of display ...

I only know board games shops which have a similar kind of display …

Well, if you live in the North of Germany you might also pay Hamburg a visit t check out the Retrospieleclub :)

But they got no LEDs! ;)

Okay, I'll keep that in mind ... I was only once in Hamburg yet (bad weather), and got totally occupied by the Wunderland ...

@Kordanor; You can sell your shelf plans to Embracer Group, they'll need it! ;)

WE ARE BUILDING AN ARCHIVE TO EMBRACE THE HISTORY OF GAMES

For us, games are more than just games. Its culture! It is something created by great people with creative ideas. By building a large archive of physical games, we want to preserve and tribute the games culture for a long period of time.

Hello

My name is David Boström and I´m the CEO of the Embracer Games Archive. I have been given the honourable task to lead the work of building up this unique Games Archive. Imagine a place where all physical video games, consoles and accessories are gathered at the same place. And think about how much that could mean for games' culture and enabling video games research. This journey has just been started and we are at an early stage. But already now, we have a large collection to take care of at the Embracer Games Archive’s premises in Karlstad, Sweden. A team of experts has been recruited and will start building the foundation for the archive. At Embracer Games Archive, we believe that games carry a heritage worth celebrating and safeguarding for the future. Our goal is clear – We want to archive and save as much of the video games industry as possible.

david-bostrom.jpg

Woah ! That's the best thing I've heard from a gaming company in AGES ! O_O

I always loved my PC game boxes. Oldest I still have is the C64 version of Pool of Radiance, the oldest one I still own. Partially, anyway, since it's very ragged. Here's a pic of my current shelf display:

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/617209555515998248/982894318568226826/20220605_023035.jpg

I had about twice as many of these, but my (then) wife, when we moved to a smaller place, demanded I sell off my collection. I did, partially, but kept as much as I could. Namely the games that mattered to me.

I miss the way PC games came boxed in the 80s and 90s. Not to be an elitist again, but it helped sell the idea that PC gaming was more important than the consoles and the games came with more pack-ins, bigger manuals, and more style. You felt proud walking up to the Circuit City/CompUSA sales desk holding that big arse box. It felt good displaying it and holding it. There was a magic to it. Those large manuals like the Wizardry 8 and BG2 books. I'd do anything to experience it again.

Sadly, they rarely even sell physical editions of PC games unless you pledge to some insane kickstarter tier. Which I've done a few times for that reason alone.

I still have lots of mid-90s boxes high above on boards & shelves - lying there for - we have 2022 - ~20 years now … I fear that they might be very dusty on the exposed surfaces now, and I can't check them, because they are currently out of reach for me (read : located too high).

Sadly, they rarely even sell physical editions of PC games unless you pledge to some insane kickstarter tier. Which I've done a few times for that reason alone.

Yes, but they still do that for console games ! - Which makes me jealous : What have console players what PC players have not ... ?

I always loved my PC game boxes. Oldest I still have is the C64 version of Pool of Radiance, the oldest one I still own. Partially, anyway, since it's very ragged. Here's a pic of my current shelf display:

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/617209555515998248/982894318568226826/20220605_023035.jpg

I had about twice as many of these, but my (then) wife, when we moved to a smaller place, demanded I sell off my collection. I did, partially, but kept as much as I could. Namely the games that mattered to me.

That's still a nice collection you might want to bring into a decent shape. Collectors will especially hate you for what you do to the boxes for the left. Stacking them sideways is quite unhealthy for your boxes as it squishes and deforms them.

Yes, but they still do that for console games ! - Which makes me jealous : What have console players what PC players have not … ?
But just as DVD case. There are only very few console games which get a nice CE while PC games don't.

That's still a nice collection you might want to bring into a decent shape. Collectors will especially hate you for what you do to the boxes for the left. Stacking them sideways is quite unhealthy for your boxes as it squishes and deforms them.

Yeah that's mainly because I need more shelf space, but the only two that got a little deformed were the two Fallout boxes, since they had a soft insert inside and they were squished long before I put them on that shelf. Too, I'm not going to ever sell them anyway. Someday they'll find my decaying corpse months after I expire, hand on mouse, navigating a laboriously long Daggerfall dungeon with my PC still running on a hot summer day. Then who knows where the boxes all end up.

One should put a shelf with ancient/old game boxes into Fallout via a mod. Heh. ;)

One should put a shelf with ancient/old game boxes into Fallout via a mod. Heh. ;)

These wouldnt exist there though as Fallout entered a different timeline. ^^
And the only computers in Fallout remind of the Commodore Pet and similar. Not a whole lot of games for these computers :D

Back
Top Bottom