Copper Dreams - Cybernetic Arms

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
Whalenought have shown off a bit more of the new art style for Copper Dreams.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"> Characters in Copper Dreams can surgically attach up to 4 cybernetic arms. We're working on getting those boring, fleshy noodle arms to not get in the way of these very eager laser gun arms. cyberpunk struggles, man. pic.twitter.com/nm7oQovE3K

— Whalenought Studios (@whalenought) July 6, 2018[/quote]

More information.

Yeah still hate the new graphic style.:biggrin:

As the old saying saying goes lets agree to disagree.:biggrin:

To me it personally looks like a cheap cell shaded Borderlands now.

I don't like the new aesthetic, but that's just a matter of taste.

But I would also say it's not a very good design choice for this style of top-down rpg. It's in the style of line-art and simple shading, much like you might see in a graphic novel. But, in that case the artist uses their skills in each panel to make the scene clear and dynamic. In this context, I think it flattens the image, and blends the characters into the background, making it visually busy and confused.

Need to see the finished product to really judge, but it doesn't appear to be a good approach, IMO.

Last edited:
Still not a fan of the are style for this game. It's funny, i like it for Banner Saga. I just don't think it fits. Maybe it will grow on me. But, doubt it.

Yeah, I don't think cell-shading is necessarily a problem, if it's done well. It works fine for Banner saga, IMO.

It's more this style they've shown, using heavy line-art and a very restricted, stylized colour palette. Comic book fans might know of a name for this particular style - I've certainly seen it before, where the panels are drawn with a lot of heavy black, and simply shaded with just a handful of unnatural colors, like greens and purples.

I'd say it compares this comic artwork.

Link - https://www.artstation.com/josan

jo-san-panophobiav7.jpg

Yeah, that's something in the same ballpark. And one might like or dislike the art, but you can see how the artist has made it work visually, with the use of composition and perspective. I just think that if I were considering the graphics for 3d tactical combat, that's not a direction I would go.

It might not be my favourite style to see in a computer product, but I trust in their game creation and gameplay systems enough to purchase this item on day one. Then, of course, letting a few patches hit before I actually fire it up!

Ugh, that art style kills it for me. Not that I was super interested in the first place, fortunately.

I think it looks much better than the unstyilized 1997 graphics they had before.

If it looks better or worse is obviously taste, but one can't deny that this new style will at least get some more attention.

I agree with TheSHEEEP. I disliked the art style, but it certainly makes for a considerably more memorable visual identity.

The art style might grow on one after a while, although initially the drab color scheme isn't very appealing. (See the Cyberpunk 2077 trailer for a color contrast.) Whether the games works though mainly depends on the story and game play elements.

I'm willing to give it the benefit of the doubt, but I don't find the new style appealing.

I still like the new graphic style compared to the previous.

I can't believe I backed this for alpha/beta access. I do not like the new art style. I'm now praying Hannah will sell her clothes to fund a rework.

Back
Top Bottom