Copper Dreams - Diverging from HP

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
The Copper Dreams kickstarter have released another update. This one focuses on the wounds system and explains how it works. Copper Dreams has entered its final week and has collected 32K out of a 40K goal with 6 days remaining.

Diverging from HP

Your character's ailments are represented by three different bars below their portrait in the main HUD, accruing a full bar of ailments in any of these lead to death. You can see these in more detail on your character sheet, which will also automatically find any medical equipment you may have that could cure them out in the field.

The three categories of ailments that all different kinds of damage fall under are Lesser, Greater, and Mortal.

• Lesser Ailments are light wounds that would hardly faze you like a bullet graze or getting winded. These can often be recovered from automatically after combat, though some will require further healing. Characters have a large capacity of these types of wounds they can endure.
  • Greater Ailments are a medium wound that is bearable but can begin deteriorating character stats and combat efficiency. Some of these kinds of wounds can be shrugged off after combat, but will more often need medical supplies from equipment or a clinic to to be healed.
  • Mortal Ailments are a critical problem, like a pierced lung or other organ damage. These will always require medical supplies or a clinic to remove, and may make you consider how to change tactics for that character based on how their body is damaged. These are not "just a flesh wound!"
Every PC and NPC has a set number of ailments for each category they can receive before death takes them. There is a player advantage system with this though, in that a PC doesn't immediately die when a category is filled, but rather drops unconscious during combat. Another hit thereafter will kill them. So for example, a security guard might have a capacity of five Lesser Ailments, three Greater Ailments and one Mortal Ailment, which means if you setup your attack and roll with luck you might kill them with one mortal ailment, or a poorly planned and rolled attack may deal Lesser Ailments, but if you dealt five of those they'll still be dead, regardless of how many Mortal or Greater Ailments they have.
[…]

The infograph below shows an example of the breakdown of dealing damage with a ray gun:
More information.

Last edited:
Totally agree, Silver.

Whalenought is an excellent example of a game devlopment team that is doing extremely important work, in my opinion. They are trying new things, keeping creativity alive yet still retaining the pen-and-paper roots that so many old-school RPG gamers love!

Hopefully, you guys really catch on on a bigger scale soon. Serpents in the Staglands also had some brilliant ideas and I hope you guys can really reach a larger audience going forward.

In short, great work!

I always gush about Whalenought when given the opportunity. :D

Dang, I'm biting my nails over this.

We know Chris Avellone reads here -- or at least he read the thread about him. Can we maybe get him to signal boost?

Anybody know anyone else well-connected?

Thanks so much guys! Appreciate the help spreading news about the game, word of mouth is the best we can get! I think we'll be ok, hoping for a boost in the end! If Serpent was any indicator that can happen.

Just upped my pledge - I think I am going to need the strategy guide.

Thank you! The strategy guide should be a fun read, we're planning on writing it via the perspective of another couple of agents recording what can happen in the game.

Dang, I'm biting my nails over this.

Tell me about it, I'm onto my toes.

Thanks so much guys! Appreciate the help spreading news about the game, word of mouth is the best we can get! I think we'll be ok, hoping for a boost in the end! If Serpent was any indicator that can happen.
We should be thanking you for making new original RPGs.:party:
On a side note can you share any more news about the SITS expansion? I recall reading in one blog post you decided it was to large, and made it a separate game.

Just watched the Matt Chat episode interview with Joe and Hannah. Great stuff and very interesting overall.

Love what I'm hearing about the Wounds system. This game seems like it's going to provide quite a challenge when you limit the healing system in this way. Interesting stuff and right up my alley. :)

The team of Hannah and Joe also seem very intelligent and seem to complement each other well.

Last edited:
Apparently Avellone does indeed know the game:

that rpgcodex interview said:
MCA: I did like the look and feel of Serpent in the Staglands, it gave me that old Ultima vibe. And I've heard really good things about Age of Decadence.

[…]

JMR: Since we're talking about Serpent in the Staglands, you know the creators are running a new Kickstarter, Copper Dreams?

MCA: Oh, really? Oh fucking yay!

JMR: [frantically trying to explain the game]

MCA: So it's the same company? Okay, cool. Wow!

Back
Top Bottom