Copper Dreams - Greenlit on Steam

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
Copper Dreams has been greenlit after 15 days which has prompted a kickstarter update. Killscreen Daily also has some more information on Copper Dreams.

Thank you so much to everyone who voted for us to be on the Steam platform.

Some folks have asked about DRM-Free options as well. GOG has expressed interest and we'd love to have our next game on there as well. We will be talking with them more throughout the year. Besides that, one way or another we'll have the game DRM-Free.
[...]

"How would syndicates abuse their power without the oversight of a government?" asks Hannah Williams, one half of Seattle-based Whalenought Studios. That's one of the many questions that Copper Dreams, the studio's second RPG, looks to answer.

While RPGs are often set in vast fantasy worlds, Copper Dreams‘ cyberpunk world takes place on an isolated island called Calitana. It's a place where the uncivilized aspects of humanity can be drawn out, where food is scarce but copper is cheap, resulting in an economy based on the metal, and a culture obsessed with technological body alterations. "We thought it would be interesting to explore what happens if the citizens of that prosperous world are given a one-way ticket to a secluded frontier planet, then more or less abandoned for several decades," Williams said.
More information.

Looks like the Kickstarter funding has petered out a bit. At least they're trending toward success. Keeping my fingers crossed...

They're almost at $30K with over 10 days to go. They got ~$14.5K in the first two days so getting $10,000 in the final two days (after the reminder emails go out) seems possible. Still, a CRPG with a good pitch shouldn't be struggling to reach a pretty modest funding goal like this. Hopefully Brian Fargo or some of the other KS bigshots will give a shoutout to help them along.

I'm a little anxious on their behalf. Serpent in the Staglands had an instantly recognizable design style. This game sounds cool, but visually it blends in with the crowd a little.

We at the Watch are able to get excited over text descriptions of gameplay systems, but I don't know that there are enough of us to fund the game or sell it once it's released.

Some people will be turned off by lack of AAA graphics, but I think the audience is out there. Joe has mentioned they have a pretty good view to backer ratio.. It's just a matter of getting enough RPG fans to see the project over the next week and a half.

Does being greenlit on Steam really mean anything these days? As far as I can tell, there is no quality control at all on Steam.

Does being greenlit on Steam really mean anything these days? As far as I can tell, there is no quality control at all on Steam.

I don't know what the criteria are, but there definitely are some. That or they just roll some dice.

Steam Grennlight is not what used to be a few years back, but it's the only way to get your game on Steam without paying, or finding a publisher to start the process for you.
I'm a little anxious on their behalf. Serpent in the Staglands had an instantly recognizable design style. This game sounds cool, but visually it blends in with the crowd a little.

We at the Watch are able to get excited over text descriptions of gameplay systems, but I don't know that there are enough of us to fund the game or sell it once it's released.
I'm still waiting for a last minute funding miracle.:floating:

Steam Grennlight is not what used to be a few years back, but it's the only way to get your game on Steam without paying, or finding a publisher to start the process for you.

Given some of the proper trash on Steam though, I can't imagine that anything gets refused!

Well, I'm glad these folks made it, anyway. They seem like nice people, and game looks worthwhile.

Steam is certainly becoming an odd place —*it is undeniably turning into more of an App store but is also (regrettably) the largest market as well. It also made achievements popular which is depressing to think about, I guess that's the app-store rubbing off on it.

Getting green-lit took us a very short amount of time compared to Serpent, which took the better part of a year, but again I have no idea really how any of that works (we like to think it's a good thing though!).

More importantly is getting the game to players DRM free and/or on GOG, who we'll be talking with later this year, they've also initiated interest so we're fairly confident on that front.

We hope the remaining 10 days see the boost it needs —*we have some updates planned ranging form technical, mechanical and more art oriented so we're trying to cover all the bases. Updates are really for people who have already backed (and generating news), and we really just need to get more people to see the page itself. The view/back ratio is surprising good, but obviously a bit small.

As always Hannah and I really appreciate the support from you guys and help spreading the news about the game. If you have any questions we'd be happy to answer!

Back
Top Bottom