Copper Dreams - New Graphic Style

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
Whalenought Studios have revealed a new graphic style for Copper Dreams on Twitter.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"> [1/2] Last month we finalized a 3d art style we’ve been tinkering with for awhile. As we’re more comfortable with traditional 2d, we’ve always been looking for a way of making 3d more comfortable to work with. Making everything sketchy is just a treat to design. pic.twitter.com/pzGgKGBJzA

— Whalenought Studios (@whalenought) June 21, 2018[/quote]

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"> [2/2] This style allows us to abstract a lot of gameplay elements that would otherwise be hard to make look realistic. We’re preparing a wonderful week of news for Copper Dreams: turn-based motorcycle action, more tentacle arms, and new rolling with Search skill!

— Whalenought Studios (@whalenought) June 21, 2018[/quote]

More information.

Yeah sorry liked the old retro-vibe better then this 3d abomination art style.:thumbsdown:

copper-dreams-alpha-screenshot.jpg

DgN4lwEV4AEy-PV.jpg:large

Say it ain't so, Joe.

I like it IF the camera can be zoomed out further.

The original was too far zoomed out (and at a bad angle), but that new shot is a little too far zoomed in.

This was the last kickstarter I backed. I'd get used to this view but I sure hope the camera at least has some zoom control.

I preferred the old style, but the new style in that screenshot doesn't offend me. I'd need to see it in action though - it's quite garish, so I guess it depends on how it looks when all the characters are moving around etc. I'll reserve judgment for the minute!

Yeah well where's the refund option when you need it?:lonely:

Glad I stopped backing games on any of the platform nowadays. As all I see is unfinished games, lack of any updates, or you get something else then what you backed.:(

Yeah, I do think it's a bit much to make a change so radical after people have backed it.

It is a shame as I liked the old style more (Deus Ex, dirty, cloudy, rainy, serious cyberpunk feel).

It doesn't seem like a good use of time to change this now, unless it was critical to change the graphic style to achieve important project targets.

Yeah I can see why backers would be justified in being annoyed with such a change in style.

I think it was clear early on that Whalenought were experimenting with things and art was always apart of this. If the art had not evolved over time and had stayed static then I would be concerned because I never felt like they had nailed their final look.

The last art style they showed us had indistinct blobs as characters althrough I liked the environment art well enough. This new style allows the characters to have a more impressionistic style which I feel they were always shooting for as it helps convey alot of implied detail.

I like it. I think. I really want to see it in motion before making my mind up, but the old style was kind of grey and dull.

great change, the old style was just a 2004 game graphics, the new one is stylish, they made a great decision

Ugh. Wouldn’t have backed it if this style was known at the time of the KS.

I had no particular love for the old low poly 3D with limited palette. Why? IMO it was hard AF to tell exactly what was going on in some of their combat gifs & videos. I'd hoped it would become clearer when actually playing the game. Of course until I can see the new style in motion I can't say whether it will be better in this regard.

If you want to look at art, go to a museum. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

OK i'm being flippant but seriously I never play a game for the art. I don't love deliberately retro graphics, but even if you do, isn't gameplay far more important to a game than pretty pictures?

Anyway, I'll reserve final judgement until I see new style in motion. Really hard to tell how it will play out from one still image.

This looks rather terrible in my opinion, I liked the earlier style but now it´s on the very edge on being removed from any wishlist of mine. I´m usually not *that* sensitive about graphics but this is just a far too extreme downgrade of the game. :-(

Looks much better now. The low poly 3D graphics were only appealing in a nolstalgic throwback way, but this actually has some character and can weather the test of time.

Back
Top Bottom