Coronavirus (No Politics)

Another example. Last year our government tried to get the parliament to pass a law giving the government more power in emergency situations. The law was rejected, partly because it was deemed to be unconsitutional. Now they are (exploiting the crisis?) working on proposing a similar law. Our current government is a centrist-moderately-rightwing one. As a leftie I disagree with them on many issues, but I'm pretty confident that they wouldn't abuse the increased privileges in a situation like we have now. But, even if it's not very likely, we can't exclude the possibility that an illiberal government could come to power some time in the future. Then we would be in trouble.
They pulled the same thing on us after the big terrorist shooting in Paris a few years ago, but successfully.
Some of the liberticide laws of the so called "emergency measures" are still in place to this day and nobody here seem to care (French people may look turbulent, but deep down they're just sheeps).
It's worrisome.

In any cases, I don't think we can go on like that for 3 more months…

Just popped in to wish everyone good health. I sincerely hope no-one experiences a tragedy, or loses their livelihood during this crisis.

Take care.

cV02pQv.jpg

Kansas schools are now out for the rest of the academic year. That's about 7 or 8 weeks of school gone. Well… maybe sorta gone. There's talk about online learning or some such. Not sure how that's supposed to work out in the rural or poorer areas.

Regarding beaches - would that actually be bad? How does this virus do in the sun's light? The night life afterward would worry me more, I think.

We're having an online staff meeting to decide how to teach the rest of the semester now that the uni I work at has shut down...online instruction/instructor chat would be the 'obvious' solution, but not everyone has internet access here, esp poorer students, so it gets complicated.

Regarding beaches - would that actually be bad? How does this virus do in the sun's light? The night life afterward would worry me more, I think.

I can't say much for Corona. But the common flu: I've heard in moderate climates (as in central Europe), it seems to love cold and dry weather, whereas in hot climates it usually flourishes with very humid weather.
Not sure if that's due to different strains, or if there's some sort of survivability gap for some reason.

Good thing about beaches: open air makes infection a bit harder, if everything else is equal. And a bit of sun is good for the immune system. Of course, if it gets really dense...

Unfortunately, I doubt that sun simply kills the virus, since it is not a bunch of very small Vampires. For the same reason, these silver solutions that certain quacks are trying to sell will not help. ;)

Alex Jones silver toothpaste might work on werewolves if you bite them, but that sound like a bad idea.

I know it's a sanitary measure and not a authoritarian curfew but I can't help myself, I reaaaaally don't like it.
It's maybe not fairly related to the situation but a famous quote hasn't left my mind since:

(Ben, 1706-1790)

william%20wallace.jpg

Viruses may take our lives but they wont take our freedom.

I'm reading that with Gibson's terrible Scottish accent for more realism.

We're having an online staff meeting to decide how to teach the rest of the semester now that the uni I work at has shut down…online instruction/instructor chat would be the 'obvious' solution, but not everyone has internet access here, esp poorer students, so it gets complicated.

Cal Poly is one of the schools I work at (remotely), and they're moving things online but keeping the facilities open for students who don't have their own access (with social distancing rules in place).

I'm wrapping up my latest trip for work. After Trump's latest announcement, where he was forced to take the virus seriously, I saw a dramatic drop in the number of people patronizing restaurants and hotels. It's like me and two other people walking around this big place.

It's weird. I was at a shopping mall yesterday (had to buy some ibuprofen for my aching shoulder). No problems fiinding a parking spot. Place was almost deserted. Only shops with customers were food stores and drug stores. Most of the others were empty.

So I decided that now was the time to buy my wife a bunch of flowers (tulips, she loves tulips).

a i p b r u b who also bought himself a new 1000 piece jigsaw puzzzle (some ballerinas by mr Degas).

Went to buy stuffs. Empty roads and streets. Immediatly though off the begining of the movie 28 Days Later…

Only saw one dude, not a zombie, wandering the silent streets like me…

I actually like that (for now).

My company is thinking of moving to just critical infrastructure folks and everyone else will work from home, take vacation, or be laid off temporarily. This is 14,000 employees and about double that in contractors.

Depending on your outlook, this can be a good or bad thing. I would love the time off and I don't really need the money…however, I was immediately told I was on the critical services team and to get ready to be here 24/7 if necessary :'(

Speaking of Ibuprofen, my wife told me it makes OVID-19 worse. After your post, Pib, I turned to Google, and here's the best I could find on the first page.
I know about that, but thanks for the link.

I'm using it this week only as a cure for an inflammation in the shoulder. Ibuprofen has (unlike paracetamol) an inflammation reducing effect, so I use it occasionally, strictly for that purpose. (Ibuprofen also interacts with a drug I use for hypertension, so I have to adjust my medication when needed).

For general pain/reduction of fever I always use paracetamol, which also (in normal doses) has fewer and less dangerous side effects.

a big hug from a pibbur

I'm sure you know far more about this stuff than I do. I was just putting some info out there, in case people have heard the same rumor.

Went to buy stuffs. Empty roads and streets. Immediatly though off the begining of the movie 28 Days Later…

Probably my favorite zombie flick, and that's a great opening scene.

Back
Top Bottom