Coronavirus (No Politics)

We know, from Israel studies, that the vaccines are not 100% effective. Fortunately the figure appears to be 90%-ish against serious symptoms and death. So the mask also helps the fully vaccinated people as well though by how much is unknown. Those with a booster appear to avoid getting any "infection" (though I suspect that this really means that their body reacts fast and the virus does not get a "foothold") most of the time - well the actual figure is 90%.

I think that a simple calculation suggests that 10% get ill, of which 91% do not have severe symptoms (I suppose that means end up in hospital) so that gives approximately 1% in hospital. I have left the time element out so I am not suggesting that we are about to have a massive wave of covid patients.

Without the booster then the protection, in Israel, dropped to 40%. I do recall reading (not the Israeli study) that those who have had covid and the vaccine are the "best" protected since they have more that one defence mechanism.

I suppose what I am trying to say is that masks and distancing can help protect those who do not have any form of protection regardless of the reason.

PS I am a double jabbed person.

During the lockdown/keep-your-distance period we saw a reduction in other airway infections. No surprise, since the restrictions also protected against those. There is therefore reason to expect an increase in these diseases now when we have opened up, because those who should have been infected but weren't last year haven't developed immunity. Therefore there are more suceptible people now , and more infections are likely.

And this is what we see now in Norway. More children than usual are suffering from RS virus (respiratory syncytial virus) infections. RS virus infections are very commonl, nearly 90% of children have been infected at the age of 18 months, but that number is very likely significantly lower for infants born in the last 2 years.

It's not particularly lethal (except in low income countries), still some require hospital treatment, and the pediatric cliniques are a bit overwhelmed at the moment.

I expect we'll also see more influenza the upcoming season (AFAIK it has already started).

pibbur who will get his influenza shot in about two weeks.

Yes, I definitely think it's a good idea to get flu shots, in particular. Catching Covid with flu is quite possible, and definitely not recommended.

I think I'm just gonna spend this winter at home under a warm blanket. I had a nasty flu before and definitely don't want to get another now with Covid on top, whether I'm vaccined or not. I'm too young/healthy to be eligible for flu shots too, and it's too cold outside to enjoy anything, so just gonna eliminate risks.

I make sure I get the flu shot every second or third year, at least. This summer I got it at the same time with the covid shot, so hopefully all my current flu bases are covered, much as one can.

One vaccine it might be wise to take is a whooping cough vaccine. Now, usually you are vaccinated against whooping cough as a child, but the immunity doesn't last long into adult age. My wife got infected a couple of years ago, and it was quite exhausting for her.

I had planned to take the vaccine after she recovered, but never got around to do it. Shame on me.

There also is a vaccine against certain strains of the pneumococcus bacteria, the germ causing one of the many forms of pneumonia. In Norway it's recommended that people>65 (I refuse to say "the elderly") get the vaccine, repeatedly every 7. year or so. I did get that one.

pibbur who will (hopefully) ask his GP for said whooping cough vaccine in a couple of weeks.

Well it seems there are no flu shots available in my area right now. I also have to schedule the booster shot for Co-vid when it's available. Luckily I rarely get sick.

I think I'm just gonna spend this winter at home under a warm blanket. I had a nasty flu before and definitely don't want to get another now with Covid on top, whether I'm vaccined or not. I'm too young/healthy to be eligible for flu shots too, and it's too cold outside to enjoy anything, so just gonna eliminate risks.

If you wanted to get a flu shot, you can still get one independently - loads of us do. Many pharmacies offer it as a service for any adult. I know Boots the pharmacist does it for 15 quid.

I haven't had the flu in 20 years despite never having the shot. I guess I'm one of the lucky ones. I've always had a strong immune system. Even when I do catch a bug, which is rare, I'm usually recovered in 24-48 hours.

Same here, it's years between infections, without being vaccinated. However, the (health) powers that be recommend vaccination for people older than 65. Like a sheep, I choose to follow that advice.

One slighty amusing thing about vaccines. When I was a child, I was very nervous whenever vaccination days came up, because the shots hurt soooo much. These days I hardly notice the needle. Funny.

Similarly, as a child i hated a lot of foods that I like today, such as fish, vegetables, other stuff. Big quarrels at the dinner table.

pibbur who probably is more mature now than back then in the fifties/early sixties.

I empathise Pibs!! I remember back when I hated bacon and mushrooms, now they're two of my favourite things!! (Do I feel a song coming on??!!) :)

If you wanted to get a flu shot, you can still get one independently - loads of us do. Many pharmacies offer it as a service for any adult. I know Boots the pharmacist does it for 15 quid.

Thanks for this info, I'm still a bit illiterate on the services you can get access to health-wise in the UK, I'm definitely gonna do it then.

Yes, the NHS could be a bit clearer about that. When they talk about being eligible, that only means that they think its medically important for some people, so give it to them for free. But it's actually a good idea for most people - nothing wrong with arming the immune system. And in these times, it could help to keep pressure off the NHS.

Yup Ripper, that's the smart way to embrace this entire situation. I mean, I've only been seriously ill twice in my life, so I consider myself fairly hardy, yet there's nothing wrong with boosting the odds a bit more in your favour.

The flu jab isn't as strong as the covid 19 stuff. There was a recent article that stated that the flu vaccines are only 30 to 40% effective. It is to do with the production time table which means that the decisions about the vaccine have to be made in February for the next Winter period. [The article was a possible way to speed matters up using a new technique which has been used for some covid 19 vaccines.]

Still not having bad flu 3 or 4 times in a decade is worth it. Two weeks in bed is bad and even worst when everyone in the household is ill.

The flu jab isn't as strong as the covid 19 stuff. There was a recent article that stated that the flu vaccines are only 30 to 40% effective. It is to do with the production time table which means that the decisions about the vaccine have to be made in February for the next Winter period. [The article was a possible way to speed matters up using a new technique which has been used for some covid 19 vaccines.]

Still not having bad flu 3 or 4 times in a decade is worth it. Two weeks in bed is bad and even worst when everyone in the household is ill.

That's right, and it's a reminder that this is all a numbers game, in the end. For me, even if I feel that it's not much of a concern to me, I'll take the bonus that might save me from rolling a 1 on the d20. I have a reasonable amount of exposure to people, and though the covid vaccine is good, it's also not perfect. I wouldn't fancy getting the double. And it definitely helps if there are fewer people becoming sick, and passing it around.

Back
Top Bottom