Couchpotato's Random RPG News

Does Anyone Read This Thread for News?

• Yes

Votes: 53 89.8%
  • No

Votes: 6 10.2%

• Total voters
Dying Light 2: Stay Human Tymon Smektala Interview - VG247
Dying Light 2 lead designer Tymon Smektala talks new locations, new games, and listening to fans.Dying Light 2 lead designer Tymon Smektala talks new locations, new games, and listening to fans.
Project Tamriel: A Morrowind mod - What about those islands?
Over the last year, we have showcased our major upcoming expansions "Dominions of Dust and Embers of Empire, as well as the future ones after those. However, many of you have been asking about the few obscure bits on our planning maps that are not contiguous with any of the aforementioned expansions. In fact, we left those bits obscure on purpose, to explain them in more detail for this month' teaser article. These upcoming additional lands (mini-expansions, if you will) are the islands of Olanar, Vounoura and Firemoth; we will examine each one in turn.
Alaloth: Champions of The Four Kingdoms - One week until the showcase!
E3 may be canceled but June is still super hot! The Guerrilla Collective will take place on Saturday, June 11 starting at 8AM PST | 11AM EST | 5PM CET and we are thrilled to announce that we are part of the show.

Marvel's Midnight Suns Leak Reveals a Release Date - PCGamer
A late 2021 delay pushed Marvel's Midnight Suns (opens in new tab), the turn-based tactical RPG being developed by XCOM studio Firaxis, into the second half of 2022. An official release date still hasn't been announced, but it may have slipped out thanks to leaked box art and preorder details.
6 years ago, The Witcher 3 set a new bar for video game DLC - Inverse
The Witcher 3 is without a doubt one of the greatest RPGs in recent memory — perhaps of all time. The sprawling story following Geralt of Rivia gives players a memorable world to keep coming back to for countless hours. And while the game recently turned seven, we should really be celebrating the sixth anniversary of the best part of The Witcher 3: the Blood and Wine story DLC that concluded Geralt’s adventure.
The best RPG game on PC is now Steam Deck Verified - PCGamesN
It’s definitely one of the best RPG games on PC and there are plenty who would argue about it actually being the best RPG of all time – and now, it’s a playable Steam Deck game too. No, it’s not Skyrim – Divinity: Original Sin 2 on Steam Deck is now Verified and completely functional.

Indie developer Studio Sai announces Eternights

Eternights is a dating action game, blending a love story with adrenaline-driven combat as you make the most out of life during the apocalypse. Scavenge for supplies, explore dungeons and go on dates!
Jeff Grubb Podcast Interview - RPG Obsession
This episode's guest is none other than Jeff Grubb! Jeff is a titan in gaming, having worked on more than 43 settings and IPs for some of the biggest TTRPG and CCG games.
Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous What's Next? - Steam
We are currently working on the third DLC for it, and the console version; we continue to fix bugs, and don't plan to stop releasing new updates. Thanks to our studio's growth in recent years, we are now capable of working on multiple projects at the same time, and the development of the new game won't affect our plans for Pathfinder. We are aware that you want more content for Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous, and we've scheduled a brand-new set of DLCs under a Season 2 code name. We will share more details about it after the release of the third DLC
FromSoftware on why it's taking a while to fix the Dark Souls Servers - Ungeek
If you’re wondering why it’s been taking so long to get the servers back online, FromSoftware has an explanation. Specifically, in our interview of FromSoftware’s Yasuhiro Kitao prior to the launch of Elden Ring, he revealed what steps the studio was taking to fix the Dark Souls exploit. According to Kitao, the reason why it’s taking a while is that the development environment for the Dark Souls games needed some time to set up.

Not sure where the mix-up happened, Couch, but the Morrowind mod you link to above is Tamriel Rebuilt, not Project Tamriel like the headline says. Two different mods.

Not sure where the mix-up happened, Couch, but the Morrowind mod you link to above is Tamriel Rebuilt, not Project Tamriel like the headline says. Two different mods.
Copy paste errors takes over ten minutes just to embed three links. A.K.A shit happens.

Last edited:
Final Fantasy 16 - 8 NEW Details You NEED TO KNOW

We were waiting a long, long time for the next big Final Fantasy 16 update, and at long last, the developer decided to put an end to that long wait with a meaty new trailer for the upcoming RPG at the recent State of Play showcase, while also revealing new details on its through other official channels.
How Sifu Uses Movie References to Teach You to Fight

Developer Sloclap's hit action game Sifu proudly showcases its inspirations in its level design, combat, and more. But, as demonstrated by Sifu's first proper level The Squats, those movie references go beyond mere homage. The developers found clever ways to use those references in ways that teach the player how to fight against Sifu's brutally difficult foes.
Fallout 76 Season 9 Preview - Bethesda

Two young children Ana and Emilio Franklin and their robot protector H-4RT become stranded on Dread Island after a violent storm wrecks their aircraft. The castaways begin a search for their missing family through a dangerous jungle – trying to survive while being hunted by boundless threats.

Warhammer 40,000: Rogue Trader Background Information

PC Gamer
Owlcat's game will be a "classic cRPG" with turn-based combat and a party of recruitable companions. Possible party members include, "A mighty Space Marine, a mercurial Aeldari Ranger, or even a courageous Sister of Battle armed with bolter and ardent prayers". It looks like there's a tech-priest and a psyker in some of the screenshots too.
TechRadar
Given the popularity of the Warhammer 40K franchise, it's surprising that it's taken this long for Games Workshop's grimdark futuristic setting to receive a CRPG adaptation. The miniature-maker certainly hasn't kept the license close to its chest, greenlighting a swathe of Warhammer strategy games, shooters, and mobile titles over the last decade. Their quality has varied, and RPGs have consistently been absent.
Dear Bethesda, please make Fallout 5 a turn-based 4X strategy - KnowTechie
Fallout's world has always been more interesting than the actual storyline. A proper world-building strategy game would let you explore it. Bethesda has clung to the FPS RPG format since the triumphant arrival of Fallout 3 in 2008.

But it's a genre that has served the series well. But while war never changes, Fallout isn't too immutable that it can't explore new ways of gameplay and storytelling.

Bethesda is blessed with the creativity, talent, and, thanks to the Microsoft acquisition, resources to experiment with new formats. The company could bring the Fallout series to dizzying new heights.
Dragon Age Devs On Gamers Who Call Dreadwolf A "Woke Disaster" TheGamerhttps://www.thegamer.com/dragon-age-dreadwolf-woke/
Former Dragon Age devs have also jumped in, confused over how anyone could expect a Dragon Age game not to be woke.

"Was it… ever?… not 'woke' by their standards? Maybe we should have tried harder", says previous creative director Mike Laidlaw.

"I’m very disappointed in you both", laments David Gaider in response. "I hear that such wokeness requires a laser-like focus that precludes *anything* else. Like quality! Jesus jumping Christ, [...] do I need to remind you to 'make it good”' again?"

GOG.com Summer Sale: Get Sanitarium for Free - GOG
This Summer we're bringing back memories to awaken our inner child and pass on the passion for games to others, no matter their age. Rediscover the classics, check what great stories new games tell today, and explore the history of your hobby. Summer Sale is here to show how games connect generations!

Let's start the journey with the 1st of 5 planned game giveaways with Sanitarium. This immersive psychological horror game is available for grabs right now on our front page till Wednesday June 8th at 1 PM UTC.

To make your exploration of the history of PC games a bit more organized, there are special game collections to discover decade by decade.
Obsidian developer suggested the studio may show one of its new games soon - VGC
Another Obsidian developer has suggested that the studio may be soon ready to show off one of the games it currently has in development.

Hannah Kennedy, a concept artist at Obsidian who previously worked on The Outer Worlds tweeted: “Man… it’s gunna be extremely cool when I can finally share what I’ve been working on for the last 2 years.”

This was followed by the eyes emoji, which is regularly used on Twitter to denote that the poster has a secret they’d like to share. Following this, designer Josh Sawyer replied to Kennedy with the ‘prayer’ emoji.

Dear Bethesda, while I love 4X games, don't do that to Fallout franchise. Please don't!
Well they can still make Fallout 5 but a 4X spinoff I would buy day one. It's very possible now since Microsoft owns Bethesda, and rumors say they have plans for the various IPs.

Anyway I'm afraid of what will be cut and streamlined in the next game.:(

Well they can still make Fallout 5 but a 4X spinoff I would buy day one. It's very possible now since Microsoft owns Bethesda, and rumors say they have plans for the various IPs.

Anyway I'm afraid of what will be cut and streamlined in the next game.:(

Possible is not the same as desirable. If they plan to make a 4X spin-off, OK I can live with it. But just don't call it "Fallout 5" dear MicroBeth!

Last edited:
Someone needs a chili pill it's just an opinion article from an unknown site.:lol:

Doubt Bethesda even reads it.

Why would they do that? Sounds very unlikely to me. Unless Todd has a pet project we didn't know about and they happen to buy a company to do it. ;)

If I had to wish something for their next game (whichever comes first), it's a come back to the quality of Morrowind when it comes to map, quests and storytelling. Which must be as unlikely. :bigcry:

Mortismal Gaming Tower of Time - Review After 100%

Mortismal Gaming Sands of Salzaar - First Impressions

Alaloth - Upcoming Old School Modern RPG You Should Know

My Diablo "Immoral" Rant (Major Blow To The Industry)

Last edited:
Vestaria Saga II: The Sacred Sword of Silvanister launches on July 28th - Steam
Vestaria Saga II continues the adventures of Zade, bringing the tales of him and his companions to a thrilling, satisfying end. They will encounter allies both new and old while uncovering more mysteries behind the vile Margulites and their plan to plunge Vestaria into a new age of darkness.
Heads Will Roll Released on Steam
Hardcore survival RPG with non-linear story that lets you play as a young medieval soldier who over the course of battles and adventures becomes the most formidable and respected knight of his era. Or, if he's not lucky enough, perishes in the chaos of the Hundred Years' War.
Mistover to be delisted from digital storefronts on June 30 - Steam
To everyone who has shown their love and support for Mistover, we regretfully inform you with a heavy heart that the service will be closing as our journey comes to an end.

We first launched Mistover on October 10th, 2019, and we made the difficult decision to close the service for this much-loved game effective June 30th, 2022.

We are deeply grateful to everyone who has used our services and would like to ask for your generous understanding.
Xenonauts 2 - May Update
Time once again for your Xenonauts 2 monthly development update! Thanks again for your ongoing patience as we continue our work on the game.

Yesterday we released V22 onto our standard Steam / GOG branches for backers to play, as it's in decent shape after the seven (!) hotfixes we have released for it over the last five or six weeks.

Obviously all those fixes and releases took up quite a bit of developer time this month, but there was also a lot of other progress on the project to report. The biggest new feature we've been working on is the updated tactical interface, which is a fairly complex beast given the depth of the tactical combat. The UI now looks better and is much less cluttered and (hopefully) easier to use and understand. Perhaps more importantly, it properly integrates the relevant information for the Morale and Armour systems which were added earlier this year.

Dragon Age Devs On Gamers Who Call Dreadwolf A "Woke Disaster" TheGamer
Former Dragon Age devs have also jumped in, confused over how anyone could expect a Dragon Age game not to be woke.

"Was it… ever?… not 'woke' by their standards? Maybe we should have tried harder", says previous creative director Mike Laidlaw.

"I’m very disappointed in you both", laments David Gaider in response. "I hear that such wokeness requires a laser-like focus that precludes *anything* else. Like quality! Jesus jumping Christ, […] do I need to remind you to 'make it good”' again?"

WTF ???

Can somebody please explain to me what's going on there ?

WTF ???

Can somebody please explain to me what's going on there ?
It would take a whole essay to explain the theory. So lets just say someone like a member of the codex claimed they had inside sources the game would be woke.
The Oxford dictionary's definition of the term woke is to be "alert to injustice in society, especially racism." But to many, it now means "when gays exist", which is also a pretty bad thing to be against. Also, no matter what definition we're going with, Dragon Age has always been pretty woke. Therefore, when some Twitter dude purported to have inside knowledge that Dragon Age: Dreadwolf was going to be a "woke disaster", he got clowned on pretty quickly.
This prompted a twitter war with two main leads and some past staff.David Gaider chimed in that he was disappointed with the staff responses. They don't care.

Sounds ... entangled ... to me. I don't know which word I could use here ...

Well, it very likely won't meet my taste in gaming anyway. ;)

Matt Chat 487: Morrowind Elder Scrolls III

Morrowind is rightfully regarded as one of the best CRPGs ever made, but how well does it hold up twenty years later? Remarkably well, especially if you install some choice mods from the I Heart Vanilla pack. There's way too much stuff in this game to cover even in a 2+ hour video, but hopefully this taste of the early parts of the game is sufficient to pique your interest in the title. You can buy it from GOG or Steam.
Town-Building Sandbox RPG Pixelshire announced for 2024

Build the town of Pixelshire and grow your community in a unique RPG sandbox which mixes life sim elements with town building, exploration, and combat. Express yourself by planning the town to your liking, master trades, get to know your neighbours, and explore the continent of Arcadia.
Master of Magic Remake - May 2022 Developer Diary
Last month we officially entered into closed beta and now, together with the first wave of testers, we are working hard at bug hunting and monitoring player feedback. As such, this month I am only going to quickly say that we are alive, we are working hard to make that announced early Autumn deadline!

Here is a link to the Home of Wargames video, where you can finally see some gameplay and myself… https://youtu.be/gmM8NTndAF0

And here are a few screenshots of things we improved via feedback (we did a lot more, but those are a few visual bits I can share.

Marvel’s Midnight Suns in October - https://www.businesswire.com/news/h...t-Suns-to-Launch-Worldwide-on-October-7-2022/https://www.businesswire.com/news/h...t-Suns-to-Launch-Worldwide-on-October-7-2022/2K and Marvel Entertainment
2K and Marvel Entertainment today announced Marvel’s Midnight Suns will launch on October 7, 2022. Created by Firaxis Games, the legendary studio behind the critically-acclaimed, world-renowned Civilization and XCOM franchises, Marvel's Midnight Suns is an all-new tactical RPG set in the darker side of the Marvel Universe. It will be available on PlayStation®5 (PS4™), PlayStation®4 (PS4™), Xbox Series X|S, Xbox One, and Windows PC via Steam and Epic Games Store. The Nintendo Switch version of the game will be available at a later date. Rated T for Teen by the ESRB, Marvel’s Midnight Suns is now available for pre-order.
Marvel's Midnight Suns - Official Cinematic Story Trailer

Venome, Spider-Man, Blade, Ghost Rider and more team up to take on a new supernatural threat in the latest trailer for Midnight Suns, the Marvel tactics game.
Midnight Suns Gameplay Impressions From Hands-On - Turn-Based RPG/TCG

In this Marvel’s Midnight Suns preview: Gameplay and Hands-On Impressions, we will dive into the story behind Marvel’s Midnight “Sons,” (now “Suns”), the card/deck-building combat, “The Hunter” (the main character), and plenty more of the 60+hour tactical RPG!
Marvel's Midnight Suns: The First Preview

We spent several hours playing Firaxis's upcoming superhero strategy-RPG, Marvel's Midnight Suns. Find out what we enjoyed and what we didn't in this first hands-on.
Written Preview Roundup

1. RockPaperShotgun
  2. PCGamesN
  3. IGN
  4. Gamerant
  5. Gamesradar
  6. RPGsite.net
  7. Gamespot
  8. Gameinformer

Back
Top Bottom