Votes: 26 86.7%
  • No

Votes: 4 13.3%

• Total voters

JFarrell71

SasqWatch
WTF ???

Why Bavaria ???????

I assume that it will contain all the clichés people from other countries love about us … :roll:

Why are you so negative about every damn thing? Along comes a game that doesn't focus on (or even have) combat, something you supposedly want more of, and your first instinct is to shit on it.

Couchpotato

Burned Out Newsposter
Starfield: We've Got Some Stuff To Talk About

Baldurs Gate 3 - A Tour of the City

Morrandir

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Last edited:

Morrandir

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Baldurs Gate 3 - A Tour of the City
Ah, damn... I was hyped for a minute because I thought we're going to finally see the city in BG3 footage.

Couchpotato

Burned Out Newsposter
Ah, damn… I was hyped for a minute because I thought we're going to finally see the city in BG3 footage.
Yeah sorry I thought it was also before I shared it. Anyway Larian hasn't shared anything new except small patches. Last info claimed a box broke the game.:lol:

The Box That Broke Baldur's Gate 3 - Gamespot

Baldur's Gate 3, like Dungeons & Dragons, is a game meant to evoke player freedom. But somewhere early in its making, a small decision was made that collided with that basic principle, and sent its development into a cascading spiral of problems.

At the heart of an unforgettable Dungeons & Dragons campaign is a great dungeon master. It's their responsibility to guide the player on an adventure and make sure the world reacts to their actions in a way that feels natural and unplanned.

For developer Larian Studios, to capture that D&D essence in Baldur's Gate 3, it has to evoke that same sense of freedom and role playing. It's collaborative storytelling between the player and the story. Every choice, action, reaction, and consequence has to feel like it really matters, no matter how big or small.

But somewhere early in the making of Baldur's Gate 3, the game's dungeon master, Swen Vincke, made a small decision that sent its development into a cascading spiral of problems that has been a big challenge to solve. And all it involved was getting the player to acquire one very specific item: the Mysterious Artefact and it belongs to a character named Shadowheart. In an effort to get the player to receive this item as elegantly and naturally as possible, as though it was their own decision, has resulted in creating 100s of possibilities that plagued the game's development.

This is the story of how the Mysterious Artefact broke Baldur's Gate 3.

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Why are you so negative about every damn thing? Along comes a game that doesn't focus on (or even have) combat, something you supposedly want more of, and your first instinct is to shit on it.

My mother comes from Bavaria. I have roots there.
I can almost say that I grew up there - what I at least can say is that I was there during a LOT of vacations - and spent quite some time with my grand-grandparents.

Well, in today's (southern) Germany interesting stuff was going on in the 16th century. Protestant Reformation and Counter-Reformation and also the German Peasants' War. So… why not Bavaria?

I don't think so. Just check the announcement trailer. It looks pretty decent.

Frankenstein comes to my mind. Takes place in Bavaria. As far as I know.

Circus Electrique a Steampunk Tactical RPG to release later this year on PC

Creative idea. I'll follow that, I'm curious now.

JFarrell71

SasqWatch
I have roots there.

I assumed as much, but that doesn't explain the negative reaction.

For my part, I don't really know any cliches about Bavarians, and I definitely don't know any about 16th century Bavarians. I just think it sounds like an interesting and different setting for a narrative.

I don't have the aversion to war, violence, etc. in gaming that you do, but I share an interest in gaming activities that don't involve them, so I'm drawn to interesting attempts to make different sorts of games.

Couchpotato

Burned Out Newsposter
Larian Studios next Panel from Hell is on July 7th - Twitter

FWhAYTdX0AcTKfn

Live from a theatre in Ghent, join us on July 7th @ 10am Pacific for the next Panel from Hell!
Larian Studios on the Steam Deck

How does it feel to have our games running on the Steam Deck? We cornered Swen and asked him! We never did get that Steam Deck back.
Warhammer 40,000: Rogue Trader - Theodora Von Valancius: Of Power And Glory
It is a rare breed of human that dares to leave the confines of Imperial territory and brave the still-uncharted void of the galaxy. Unwavering courage, devious cunning, even outright recklessness – all of these traits and more help ensure the survival and prosperity of those who are granted a Warrant of Trade and vested with a mission to roam the unknown depths of the void in search of profit and plunder. They are Rogue Traders, unique individuals empowered by the Emperor’s authority to serve Humanity in the most unorthodox way possible – by crossing the boundaries of the Imperium and committing deeds otherwise considered heretical.

bjon045

SasqWatch
For my part, I don't really know any cliches about Bavarians, and I definitely don't know any about 16th century Bavarians. I just think it sounds like an interesting and different setting for a narrative.

Oktoberfest, eating sausage and leather trousers called Lederhose :biggrin:

Oktoberfest started in the 17th century so that is out but I think there is a better than average chance of the other two being in the game, especially the pants since this is Josh we are talking about :)

Morrandir

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor

Couchpotato

Burned Out Newsposter
All well and good but this is a thread about RPG news. So stop going off-topic.:)

Couchpotato

Burned Out Newsposter
Stranger of Paradise Final Fantasy Origin's 1st DLC on July 20th - Epic

TRIALS OF THE DRAGON KING, the first round of content included in the season pass will include new jobs, weapons, accessories and category of equipment to blast your way through all the new areas, stories and challenges that await for you to find your perfect gameplay style.
Redfall Official Welcome to Redfall Trailer

The town of Redfall is under siege by a legion of vampires who have cut the island off from the outside world. Trapped with a handful of survivors, choose your heroes to create the perfect team of vampire slayers and take back Redfall. Slay solo, or squad up with up to four friends.
Songs of Conquest Roadmap Revealed - Steam
Hello friends! We are happy to be back with a huge development update. This time we are doing a traditional written blog post, just to make sure that it can be translated to all the various languages the game is available in.
Knights of the Chalice 2 - Bug Fixes and Accelerated Gameplay - Kickstarter
Hello everyone! The latest version of KotC 2 is version 1.41. It can be downloaded here for both Windows and macOS. It can also be downloaded on Steam and GOG. In the past month, I've been focusing on bug fixing. I've also been replying to posts on the main forum, GOG forum and Steam forum.
Retro RPG Sea of Stars Pushed Back to 2023 - PushSquare
Sabotage Studio made an excellent debut with its action platformer, The Messenger. It's now turned its attention to turn-based RPGs, sticking with its neo-retro tendencies to bring us Sea of Stars, set in the same universe as its first title. While the game has yet to be officially confirmed for PlayStation platforms, we can't help but be excited watch this Sea of Stars trailer to get a taste.
Jumping Back Into Neverwinter Is Giving Me My D&D Fix Again - MMORPG
Jumping back into the world of Neverwinter has thus far been a delight. While I wish we could freely explore the city of Neverwinter proper, Protector's Enclave is such a bustling hub that it feels like a fully alive city in its own right. From there, I jumped headlong into the quests in the nearby graveyard, eager to learn more of the ropes and build up my rogue-ish chops.

Couchpotato

Burned Out Newsposter
Check Out - Alaloth: Champions of the Four Kingdoms

Talking a bit about Alaloth after it's initial early access release!
The Legend of Heroes: Kuro no Kiseki II -CRIMSON SiN- short Trailer

The trailer features a number of new cuts, including scenes of Swin and Nadia, who previously appeared in The Legend of Heroes: Trails into Reverie, as well as a confrontation between Shizuna and Kasim, plus scenes concerning the Oct-Genesis a key item in the Kuro no Kiseki series.
AMD FSR 2.0 now available in Dying Light 2 - Github
Basically, this mod replaces DLSS with FSR 2.0. By using this mod, PC gamers from all camps (Intel, AMD and NVIDIA) can select DLSS via the in-game settings and use AMD's latest upscaling technique.

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Oktoberfest, eating sausage and leather trousers called Lederhose :biggrin:

Oktoberfest started in the 17th century so that is out but I think there is a better than average chance of the other two being in the game, especially the pants since this is Josh we are talking about :)

I don't like Oktoberfest. And I've never been there, too.

My mother comes from the rural side of Bavaria. Where there are small towns and only villages. And more mountains. North of Munich.

There's a reason why Munich is called "the secret second capital of Germany", because it is very well developed in every aspect.

But I know the countryside, and it is different there, although the development of industry is something every Bavarian is proud of. But also of the nature side.

Maximilian I of Bavaria was a huge driver of the "30 Years' War". He was so stubborn that he did not want any peace, and he drove the war on and on.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maximilian_I,_Elector_of_Bavaria
Unfortunately, the English-language article is only that short and it doesn't actually show his whole role like the German-language article does.

This war created some kind of "national trauma", even even today, if people say this war's name, there is an undercurrent of fear within this word. It was even worse that just "worse", according to Wikipedia and other sources. The soldiers not just plundered everything, they completely destroyed so many small villages and emptied the land.

An example would be the "Sacl of Antwerp" , which is also called "The Spanish Fury" : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spanish_Fury

More here : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Thirty_Years'_War

The social impact of the war must have been horrible : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thirty_Years'_War#Social_and_cultural_impact

As a setting for a combat-heavy RPG, this war would be attractive, I guess.

In the next bigger town to the village where my mother was born, there are still underground caverns, of which people speculate that ghey might have held refugees and food during the wars as well.
They are currently explored and restorated, but in the past they were also definitively used for cooling food during the summer months.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erdstall

Zloth

I smell a... wumpus!?

bjon045

SasqWatch
Speaking of boxes, Couch, has there been any word yet on physical copy of Baldurs Gate 3?

Oh and great to hear KotC2 is up to 1.41 already! Can't wait to play this one.

Couchpotato

Burned Out Newsposter
Speaking of boxes, Couch, has there been any word yet on physical copy of Baldurs Gate 3?
No info I can find. My guess is they are either waiting or it will just be a digital only release on PC. The eventual console editions will probably be physical though.

Stingray

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Dunno about a regular physical copy, but it would be pretty weird if there isn't at least a physical collectors edition? D:OS2's CE (at least the one I got from KS) with the Fane statue was one of the most amazing collectors editions I've ever gotten. Gonna be very disappointing if there isn't one.

Couchpotato

Burned Out Newsposter
Fallout 76 Update - Season 9 Trailer and New PTS Content - Bethesda

Welcome back! This week, we're sharing a new trailer video for Fallout 76 Season 9, which kicked off earlier this month with our Test Your Metal Update. We've also got details on the ongoing Mothman Equinox Seasonal Event, an update on our plans to add The Pitt Mission 2 to the Public Test Server, and information on Double Mutations in Daily Ops this weekend. Read on to learn more.
Larian Studios Is In For A Weird Month

Talking about the upcoming BG3 Patch 8 announcement on top of the recent developments on their Divinity Original Sin Board Game Kickstarter.
Is Gothic Worth Playing Today? Behind Schedule

There are patient gamers who want to know if old or classic games are worth a play today or if they were "good for their time." Behind Schedule covers games I've never played before and reviews them for modern games. Folks who loved these games back then can still love them. I want to know if they're actually fun. Usually they are… at least in some way or for specific players.

Top Bottom