Couchpotato's Random RPG News

Does Anyone Read This Thread for News?

• Yes

Votes: 53 89.8%
  • No

Votes: 6 10.2%

• Total voters
Why are you so negative about every damn thing? Along comes a game that doesn't focus on (or even have) combat, something you supposedly want more of, and your first instinct is to shit on it.

My mother comes from Bavaria. I have roots there.
I can almost say that I grew up there - what I at least can say is that I was there during a LOT of vacations - and spent quite some time with my grand-grandparents.

Well, in today's (southern) Germany interesting stuff was going on in the 16th century. Protestant Reformation and Counter-Reformation and also the German Peasants' War. So… why not Bavaria?

I don't think so. Just check the announcement trailer. It looks pretty decent.

Frankenstein comes to my mind. Takes place in Bavaria. As far as I know.

Circus Electrique a Steampunk Tactical RPG to release later this year on PC

Creative idea. I'll follow that, I'm curious now.

I have roots there.

I assumed as much, but that doesn't explain the negative reaction.

For my part, I don't really know any cliches about Bavarians, and I definitely don't know any about 16th century Bavarians. I just think it sounds like an interesting and different setting for a narrative.

I don't have the aversion to war, violence, etc. in gaming that you do, but I share an interest in gaming activities that don't involve them, so I'm drawn to interesting attempts to make different sorts of games.

Larian Studios next Panel from Hell is on July 7th - Twitter

FWhAYTdX0AcTKfn

Live from a theatre in Ghent, join us on July 7th @ 10am Pacific for the next Panel from Hell!
Larian Studios on the Steam Deck

How does it feel to have our games running on the Steam Deck? We cornered Swen and asked him! We never did get that Steam Deck back.
Warhammer 40,000: Rogue Trader - Theodora Von Valancius: Of Power And Glory
It is a rare breed of human that dares to leave the confines of Imperial territory and brave the still-uncharted void of the galaxy. Unwavering courage, devious cunning, even outright recklessness – all of these traits and more help ensure the survival and prosperity of those who are granted a Warrant of Trade and vested with a mission to roam the unknown depths of the void in search of profit and plunder. They are Rogue Traders, unique individuals empowered by the Emperor’s authority to serve Humanity in the most unorthodox way possible – by crossing the boundaries of the Imperium and committing deeds otherwise considered heretical.

For my part, I don't really know any cliches about Bavarians, and I definitely don't know any about 16th century Bavarians. I just think it sounds like an interesting and different setting for a narrative.

Oktoberfest, eating sausage and leather trousers called Lederhose :biggrin:

Oktoberfest started in the 17th century so that is out but I think there is a better than average chance of the other two being in the game, especially the pants since this is Josh we are talking about :)

All well and good but this is a thread about RPG news. So stop going off-topic.:)

Stranger of Paradise Final Fantasy Origin's 1st DLC on July 20th - Epic

TRIALS OF THE DRAGON KING, the first round of content included in the season pass will include new jobs, weapons, accessories and category of equipment to blast your way through all the new areas, stories and challenges that await for you to find your perfect gameplay style.
Redfall Official Welcome to Redfall Trailer

The town of Redfall is under siege by a legion of vampires who have cut the island off from the outside world. Trapped with a handful of survivors, choose your heroes to create the perfect team of vampire slayers and take back Redfall. Slay solo, or squad up with up to four friends.
Songs of Conquest Roadmap Revealed - Steam
Hello friends! We are happy to be back with a huge development update. This time we are doing a traditional written blog post, just to make sure that it can be translated to all the various languages the game is available in.
Knights of the Chalice 2 - Bug Fixes and Accelerated Gameplay - Kickstarter
Hello everyone! The latest version of KotC 2 is version 1.41. It can be downloaded here for both Windows and macOS. It can also be downloaded on Steam and GOG. In the past month, I've been focusing on bug fixing. I've also been replying to posts on the main forum, GOG forum and Steam forum.
Retro RPG Sea of Stars Pushed Back to 2023 - PushSquare
Sabotage Studio made an excellent debut with its action platformer, The Messenger. It's now turned its attention to turn-based RPGs, sticking with its neo-retro tendencies to bring us Sea of Stars, set in the same universe as its first title. While the game has yet to be officially confirmed for PlayStation platforms, we can't help but be excited watch this Sea of Stars trailer to get a taste.
Jumping Back Into Neverwinter Is Giving Me My D&D Fix Again - MMORPG
Jumping back into the world of Neverwinter has thus far been a delight. While I wish we could freely explore the city of Neverwinter proper, Protector's Enclave is such a bustling hub that it feels like a fully alive city in its own right. From there, I jumped headlong into the quests in the nearby graveyard, eager to learn more of the ropes and build up my rogue-ish chops.

Check Out - Alaloth: Champions of the Four Kingdoms

Talking a bit about Alaloth after it's initial early access release!
The Legend of Heroes: Kuro no Kiseki II -CRIMSON SiN- short Trailer

The trailer features a number of new cuts, including scenes of Swin and Nadia, who previously appeared in The Legend of Heroes: Trails into Reverie, as well as a confrontation between Shizuna and Kasim, plus scenes concerning the Oct-Genesis a key item in the Kuro no Kiseki series.
AMD FSR 2.0 now available in Dying Light 2 - Github
Basically, this mod replaces DLSS with FSR 2.0. By using this mod, PC gamers from all camps (Intel, AMD and NVIDIA) can select DLSS via the in-game settings and use AMD's latest upscaling technique.

Oktoberfest, eating sausage and leather trousers called Lederhose :biggrin:

Oktoberfest started in the 17th century so that is out but I think there is a better than average chance of the other two being in the game, especially the pants since this is Josh we are talking about :)

I don't like Oktoberfest. And I've never been there, too.

My mother comes from the rural side of Bavaria. Where there are small towns and only villages. And more mountains. North of Munich.

There's a reason why Munich is called "the secret second capital of Germany", because it is very well developed in every aspect.

But I know the countryside, and it is different there, although the development of industry is something every Bavarian is proud of. But also of the nature side.

Maximilian I of Bavaria was a huge driver of the "30 Years' War". He was so stubborn that he did not want any peace, and he drove the war on and on.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maximilian_I,_Elector_of_Bavaria
Unfortunately, the English-language article is only that short and it doesn't actually show his whole role like the German-language article does.

This war created some kind of "national trauma", even even today, if people say this war's name, there is an undercurrent of fear within this word. It was even worse that just "worse", according to Wikipedia and other sources. The soldiers not just plundered everything, they completely destroyed so many small villages and emptied the land.

An example would be the "Sacl of Antwerp" , which is also called "The Spanish Fury" : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spanish_Fury

More here : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Thirty_Years'_War

The social impact of the war must have been horrible : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thirty_Years'_War#Social_and_cultural_impact

As a setting for a combat-heavy RPG, this war would be attractive, I guess.

In the next bigger town to the village where my mother was born, there are still underground caverns, of which people speculate that ghey might have held refugees and food during the wars as well.
They are currently explored and restorated, but in the past they were also definitively used for cooling food during the summer months.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erdstall

Speaking of boxes, Couch, has there been any word yet on physical copy of Baldurs Gate 3?

Oh and great to hear KotC2 is up to 1.41 already! Can't wait to play this one.

Speaking of boxes, Couch, has there been any word yet on physical copy of Baldurs Gate 3?
No info I can find. My guess is they are either waiting or it will just be a digital only release on PC. The eventual console editions will probably be physical though.

Dunno about a regular physical copy, but it would be pretty weird if there isn't at least a physical collectors edition? D:OS2's CE (at least the one I got from KS) with the Fane statue was one of the most amazing collectors editions I've ever gotten. Gonna be very disappointing if there isn't one.

Fallout 76 Update - Season 9 Trailer and New PTS Content - Bethesda

Welcome back! This week, we're sharing a new trailer video for Fallout 76 Season 9, which kicked off earlier this month with our Test Your Metal Update. We've also got details on the ongoing Mothman Equinox Seasonal Event, an update on our plans to add The Pitt Mission 2 to the Public Test Server, and information on Double Mutations in Daily Ops this weekend. Read on to learn more.
Larian Studios Is In For A Weird Month

Talking about the upcoming BG3 Patch 8 announcement on top of the recent developments on their Divinity Original Sin Board Game Kickstarter.
Is Gothic Worth Playing Today? Behind Schedule

There are patient gamers who want to know if old or classic games are worth a play today or if they were "good for their time." Behind Schedule covers games I've never played before and reviews them for modern games. Folks who loved these games back then can still love them. I want to know if they're actually fun. Usually they are… at least in some way or for specific players.

Monochrome Mobius: Rights and Wrongs Forgotten - Gameplay Trailer

The new second trailer for upcoming JRPG Monochrome Mobius: Rights and Wrongs Forgotten, with fresh gameplay details and story hints.
Starfield Revealed A Procedurally Generated Walking Simulator

After years of hype, speculation and waiting, finally the gaslighting has arrived. Starfield is coming out next year apparently, and so far it looks like No Mans Sky crossed with a woke walking simulator. I will let you be the judge. Just make sure to wait a few weeks after launch before buying it.
Ubisoft Games Ending Online Services - Ubisoft
Closing the online services for some older games allows us to focus our resources on delivering great experiences for players who are playing newer or more popular titles.

To help us achieve this, a number of older titles will be added to our list of decommissioned online services on 1 September 2022.

Below you will find a detailed breakdown for the effects of this new round of decommissions per platform.
7 Changes To Make Dragon Age: Origins Go From Good To Great - TheGamer
Released at a time when PC RPGs were at their peak, Dragon Age Origins arrived with a bundle of dated mechanics as compared to other games that launched in 2009. Its lack of a jump button, open exploration, and additional customization showed its age as a product of 2007. Borderlands, Demon's Souls, and even Final Fantasy 13 (all released in the same year) included these features and more.

That said, the series has still garnered a massive cult following, finding its place among the most popular RPGs in gaming history. Origins may be heavily flawed, but it is fun regardless. These flaws, however, could be smoothed over by implementing and altering a few key things.

Ubisoft Games Ending Online Services - Ubisoft

OK Ubisoft, you don't wanna support multiplayer modes and/or online features forever because of server costs, maintenance etc, I get you. But this shouldn't affect the DLCs your customers bought in good fatih (at leasd not the single-player DLCs, when you say "Additionally, the installation and access to downloadable content (DLC) will be unavailable").

One of the less consumer-friendly gaming enterprises around, perhaps they're even worse than EA.

Last edited:
"After years of hype, speculation and waiting, finally the gaslighting has arrived. Starfield is coming out next year apparently, and so far it looks like No Mans Sky crossed with a woke walking simulator. I will let you be the judge. Just make sure to wait a few weeks after launch before buying it."

This is quite a paragraph. They don't know what gaslighting means (my guess is that someone made that accusation of them and they are mindlessly parroting it), they have someone decided that Starfield is "woke" without knowing jack shit about it, and they've proclaimed it a "walking simulator" (?) because you, uh, move around in it? I've rarely seen more effective advertising for a Youtube channel, assuming the goal is to ensure that I never watch it.

Meh it's a slow news day and it's just a game. It's just a click bait video headline to get views and that's not a new concept. I've watched hundreds for amusement.
OK Ubisoft, you don't wanna support multiplayer modes and/or online features forever because of server costs, maintenance etc, I get you. But this shouldn't affect the DLCs your customers bought in good fatih (at leasd not the single-player DLCs, when you say "Additionally, the installation and access to downloadable content (DLC) will be unavailable").

One of the less consumer-friendly gaming enterprises around, perhaps they're even worse than EA.
I'd say both EA and Ubisoft are the same, As both are large publishers who want to maximize profits at any cost, and both shut down online service for older games.

and they've proclaimed it a "walking simulator" (?) because you, uh, move around in it?
The rest of the stuff you cited does sound dumb, but in many RPG circles, "walking simulator" simply refers to the type of game where you spend most of your game time literally walking around in 1st/3rd person in some big/open world to get from place-to-place, and with nothing all that exciting happening very often. Maybe you don't like the phrase, but it's a decently safe bet that Starfield will be one - Bethesda doesn't really make anything else.

Back
Top Bottom