Couchpotato's Random RPG News

Does Anyone Read This Thread for News?

• Yes

Votes: 53 89.8%
  • No

Votes: 6 10.2%

• Total voters
That goober sounds like someone whose day job is to investigate the misappropriation of company stationery, trying to have a second life as a sardonic edgelord youtuber. :p

Last edited:
The eventual console editions will probably be physical though.

As usual. PC gets download only, consoled physical. It happens with so many games, all of the time.

I'd say both EA and Ubisoft are the same, As both are large publishers who want to maximize profits at any cost, and both shut down online service for older games.

The problem with that is that they regard games as "hit & run" things. They don't want arcives of games, hence they focus only on milking the gamers, not on preservation for future generations.

Microsoft does the same with not implementing VMs for proper playing. Microsoft has become a 300% B2B company not interested in anything consumer.

Within the next 50 years, there'll be just no trace at all of current "download only" PC games. Only consle games will make it into future archives, because THEY are still sold on physicals.
And the moneymakers don't care about the future. They only care about the money here and now.

Console physical versions will start disappearing too, at least for consoles like Xbox and PS. They're just lagging behind a bit, it's only a matter of time.

I still get my physical copies whenever I can. If I liked the game, then I want to keep its physical copy on my shelf for my collection.

Personally I prefer a download option than having to mess with DVDs. It's bound to be updated anyway.

The only part I'd understand is the box and manual, but the manual is likely to get outdated, and at the end of the day, all that takes a ridiculous amount of space. It's nice and pleasant to have something concrete but I'm over it now. The only things that matters a little to me is being able to play offline, not being forced to update, and ideally, really owning the game.

Personally I prefer a download option than having to mess with DVDs. It's bound to be updated anyway.
I never mess with DVDs. I buy the physical version, activate the game code contained within, then download the game. Can't even remember the last physical game I bought where I actually had to use the discs that came with it. Maybe 10 years ago or so.

A lot of physical copies of games don't even come with discs anymore - a growing trend. You're really just getting a collectible box, and whatever's inside.

The rest of the stuff you cited does sound dumb, but in many RPG circles, "walking simulator" simply refers to the type of game where you spend most of your game time literally walking around in 1st/3rd person in some big/open world to get from place-to-place, and with nothing all that exciting happening very often. Maybe you don't like the phrase, but it's a decently safe bet that Starfield will be one - Bethesda doesn't really make anything else.

So you don't know what a walking simulator is either.

So called "walking simulators" was specifically coined to refer to games like Gone Home and What Remains of Edith Finch, games that have minimal interaction and that tell their story with their environments rather than NPCs or cutscenes. Walking around their environments is literally how you get the game to unfold.

What it isn't is any game that you find boring. No Bethesda game is a walking simulator.

Last edited:
I really don't care when or how the term originated, but it's used to refer to Bethesda's games and other similar games pretty regularly, and by a lot of people. In fact, if you go to Skyrim Special Edition's Steam store page, it even has "Walking Simulator" as a tag :lol: If you already knew all of this, I don't know why you were playing dumb in the original post I replied to. Just to bait someone into a reply where you could reveal your deep knowledge of the True Origin of the phrase?

Huh? There was no baiting. The writer misused it just like you're misusing it. How was I supposed to know you'd come along and double down?

A lot of people also say "I could care less", but the expression is "I couldn't care less". Sometimes people are just wrong. If you try to apply a phrase that has a definition to something that doesn't match that definition, then you're using it incorrectly. The people who call BGS games "walking simulators" are the Codex type folks who are just looking for new, snarky ways to shit on BGS games.

Agree with JFarrell on this one. Calling Beth games walking simulators is for the cool kids who like to come off all edgy or consider any game that isn't stuck back in the "good ole days" as a crap game.

People more often use it as an insult than for its actual meaning.

Console physical versions will start disappearing too, at least for consoles like Xbox and PS. They're just lagging behind a bit, it's only a matter of time.
Consoles already tried that a few years back but buyer backlash forced them to rethink that strategy. Nowadays they offer the option to buy only digital consoles.

I see both pros and cons of only going digital but hey the market changes often.
Cool story.
Indeed I love how the whole internet bicker over stupid shit.:lol:

Is This The FUTURE of RPG Quest Design?

Mass Effect 2 (LE) - Review After 100%

Talking about Mass Effect 2 after a thorough few runs of the title!
Fallout New Vegas Remake - Unreal Engine 5 Showcase - Concept Trailer

Fallout New Vegas Recreation in Unreal Engine 5, A Dream that we Hope will Come True

Warhammer 40,000: Chaos Gate - Daemonhunters Interview - Rock Paper Shotgun
Warhammer 40,000: Chaos Gate Daemonhunters: Subtitle does a sterling job of balancing these two competing factors. Playing aggressively, you can pull off some plucky assaults that barely give your enemies time to react, let alone mount a coherent defence. At the same time, a few wrong moves and you'll quickly become overwhelmed. I wanted to know more about how that balance was achieved, and what influences the team took from the tabeltop game, and I got some great responses to my emailed questions.
No one likes EA's joke about singleplayer games, even EA - PCGamer
Brands are now social media influencers who say things like "vibe check" and "I was today years old when," behavior which backfired for EA this week. The publisher's careless meme format Mad Libs led to a tweet that was taken as an attack on fans of singleplayer games and the developers who make them. Current and ex-employees of the company, including Respawn head Vince Zampella, responded publicly.
The Witcher 3 gets a cool combat resource overhaul mod - Nexus
Modder KiroKobra has released a combat resource overhaul mod for The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt. As the title suggests, this mod will overhaul the game's combat mechanics. Thus, we only recommend using this mod if you've already played the game.
9 things you probably don't know about Elden Ring - PCGamer
I've played something like 100 hours of Elden Ring, and yet I feel like you could still fill a book with things I don't know about it. It's a huge game, full of developer FromSoftware's usual cryptic lore, and subtle touches that would still be easy to miss in a game a 10th its size.

Even if you've finished Elden Ring and rolled right into New Game+, odds are you don't know all of its secrets. Here are just a few things I had fun learning about the Lands Between.

Alaloth Champions of the Four Kingdoms Gameplay First Impressions Review

In this first look we are going to take a look into the gameplay mechanics, and combat of the skill-driven ARPG developed by All in! Games and published by Gamera Interactive.
Weird West Erin Firestine Interview - Gamedeveloper
Before Erin Firestine joined indie developer Wolfeye Studios as a narrative designer, she began her writing journey with a short story about her runaway hamster. "My mom was like, 'You should be a writer when you grow up,'" says Firestine, "and I was like, 'No, that's too much work.'"
Deus Ex prequel writer is BioWare's new Senior Narrative Director - PCGamer
As spotted on the Resetera forums (opens in new tab), Eidos-Montréal's executive narrative director Mary DeMarle has joined BioWare as a senior narrative director. DeMarle was most recently responsible for creating the story and leading the writing team on Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy, which had such excellent back-and-forth patter between its cast we declared it the new king of party banter. Before that, DeMarle oversaw all things Deus Ex, having been lead writer and narrative designer on Deus Ex: Human Revolution before becoming narrative director for the entire franchise.

Within the next 50 years, there'll be just no trace at all of current "download only" PC games. Only consle games will make it into future archives, because THEY are still sold on physicals.
And the moneymakers don't care about the future. They only care about the money here and now.

Yeah, and what a surprise they will have those Alrik from the Future when they realize than the Patch 0 Day DVD is not included and basically the game is unplayable.

But look! GOG is still here, in a shape or another, to play all those Good Old Games.

I like your views, tomorow I will have a team meeting and tell those greedy capitalist worms than from now, wages will be paid only every 10 years.

No more any here and now money, think about future!

New Ryzen 6800U Hand-Held Gaming PC Entered Field-Testing

Finally! The First Ryzen 6800U Hand-Held Is Here! and is The Fastest handheld We've Tested so far! It Can Run Everything! The new AOKZOE is powered by the Ryzen 7 6800U RDNA2 APU and blows the steam deck out of the water when it comes to raw performance! 1080P AAA Gaming on a handheld is now possible.
Grounded Official Release in September - Obsidian

Grounded is preparing to leave Game Preview this September as it launches its full release. Find out how the teens got into the yard and the mad scientist behind it in the fully playable campaign – all of which can be experienced alone or with a group of friends! New armor recipes, new weapon recipes, and the giant Mantis await players in this upcoming update.

CD Projekt RED Turns 20 Years Old -Website
On July 1st, 2022, CD PROJEKT RED celebrates its 20th anniversary, marking two decades since the studio entered the video game development scene and began work on the first entry into The Witcher series of games.

After seeing success in the realms of video game distribution and localization, CD PROJEKT turned its attention to the development of its own game which led to the creation of CD PROJEKT RED, a video game development studio, and official announcement of that fact on July 1st, 2002.

In the twenty years since, CD PROJEKT RED has become a global industry name. The Witcher series of games highlighted by 2015's critically acclaimed The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt has sold over 65 million copies, with development on an all new mainline The Witcher game having recently been announced, as well.

Cyberpunk 2077, the studio's latest release, has also become a globally recognized franchise, spawning its own anime series Cyberpunk: Edgerunners, created in collaboration with Studio Trigger and premiering on Netflix in September 2022. Currently CDPR is also working on the expansion for the game, to be released in 2023.
Diablo Immortal Makes More Than $1 Million Per Day, Despite Outrage - MP1st
Diablo Immortal is reportedly still gaining over $1 million per day for Blizzard Entertainment, despite heavy criticism and fans outrage.

The new data was first reported by AppMagic, and it records that Diablo Immortal is still making more than $1 Million a day, even after one month since its release. The game has reportedly peaked at around $2.4 million in one day back in June and has also made over $20 million in its first two weeks.

Diablo Immortal has proven to be a great financial success for Blizzard Entertainment. Besides the mind-boggling $1 million a day, the game has also been downloaded more than 10 million times last month.
Every Yakuza Game Is Playable On Xbox Game Pass Again - Thegamer
On December 31, Xbox Game Pass removed Yakuza 0, Kiwami, and Kiwami 2 from its library, but the three have been added back today for PC and Xbox, meaning that every mainline Yakuza game is playable with the service.
Deus Ex's writer will work on the next Mass Effect - VGC
Following VGC’s story earlier this week that veteran narrative director Mary DeMarle had joined BioWare, Mass Effect 4’s director Michael Gamble confirmed on Monday that she will be working on EA’s own big sci-fi series. “Oh, hey! I’m really excited to let you know that Mary DeMarle will be joining the Mass Effect team as Senior Narrative Director,” he wrote. “You’ve seen her work in Guardians of the Galaxy & Deus Ex (to name a few!). She’s amazing.” The shift will likely be welcomed by fans of Mass Effect, considering DeMarle’s celebrated work on not just the modern Deus Ex games, but also last year’s Guardians of the Galaxy, for which she won the Game Award for Best Narrative..
Solasta: Crown of the Magister Released on Game Pass with PC Crossplay - ThEgg
Following its release on PC and Mac, it’s time now for Xbox gamers to prepare to think in three dimensions in an epic team adventure that stays true to the tabletop experience. The dynamic and mysterious world features elements of verticality, allowing players to use their surroundings as an element of strategy. Solasta: Crown of the Magister has been optimized for the Xbox family of consoles, featuring a redesigned interface, control pad integration and the ability to play in co-op online, allowing cross-play with PC or cross-platform with other Xbox versions.

Valkyrie Elysium set to release November 11th on Steam - Steam

The world is on the brink of destruction as a new Valkyrie's story begins. The VALKYRIE series depicts the end of humanity and their encounters with gods, through a unique world inspired by Norse mythology.
Sword and Fairy: Together Forever New Combat Trailer

Today we released a new combat trailer for the Chinese mythology-based action RPG Sword and Fairy: Together Forever, a brand new standalone entry in the storied franchise. The new trailer showcases real-time combat, magic spells, the skill progression system and how to counter enemy attacks. Sword and Fairy: Together Forever will release on PS5 and PS4 in North America, Europe and Australia on August 4th.
World of Warcraft - Building Azeroth: Northrend

In this episode of Building Azeroth, Wrath of the Lich King® level designers Ely Cannon, Sarah Boulian-Verrall, and Aaron Keller take us on a glacial journey through Northrend to show us what it takes to bring an icebound world to life
Square Enix delay's Forspoken again to January 2023 - RPGSite
As a result of ongoing discussions with key partners, we have made the strategic decision to move the launch date of Forspoken to January 24, 2023. All game elements are now complete, and development is in its final polishing phase.

We would like to thank you for your continued support and patience on this journey. Your excitement for the game inspires us every day and we cannot wait to share more about Forspoken with you later this Summer!

Back
Top Bottom