Couchpotato's Random RPG News

Does Anyone Read This Thread for News?

• Yes

Votes: 53 89.8%
  • No

Votes: 6 10.2%

• Total voters
I'm surprised Anshar goes through the trouble of publishing another edition of Gamedec, but they seem to be their own publisher so why not. The reception was lukewarm at best, and the comments I've seen here confirmed the trend.

I would have tried but I had refunded it immediately because the controls were still hard-wired to US keyboards on the final game, and I don't expect them to change that in the new edition. There are more and more of those. 😕

Octopath Traveler 2 - Developer Gameplay Showcase (TGS 2022)

The developers showcase the gameplay for the first time for Octopath Traveler 2 at the Tokyo Game Show 2022.
Atlas Fallen Preview – Everything We Know So Far

In this Atlas Fallen Preview, we are going to take a look at the Gamescom gameplay trailer and the Interview we had with the game's producer. If you are looking for a breakdown of the things we have learned about the highly anticipated fantasy game, then this video is for you!
Wo Long: Fallen Dynasty PS5 Gameplay (4K 60 FPS) DEMO

In this Wo Long Fallen Dynasty video, we're showcasing what you can expect with Wo Long Fallen Dynasty combat during our demo test play.
New Peripeteia trailer and releasing in 2023

Game was at the Realms Deep event with a new trailer that announces the games release date has been postponed to 2023.

Thymesia: Discussing The Art of Combat - COG
Souls-like games often pride themselves on difficult but fluid combat. A combination of dodging, parrying, and finding the right moments to strike. Essentially, the games turn their combat into more of a dance. A dance where the player learns the steps as the fight goes on. Slowly, dodging and finding opportunities to strike. Now, what if a game took this formula and cranked up the speed, ferocity, and movesets?
Where to Start With Yakuza & Like A Dragon Games - Estnn
Ever wondered how to get into the Yakuza series of games? Here is a very easy guide on how to get into them and why you should get into them.
Legends of Ellaria New Mods - Steam
We've just achieved a new milestone by finishing the new modding system and adding multiple new mods. And as a bonus, we've started a one-week 85% discount!

Based on your feedback and some of our ideas, we've added a few useful and fun mods to Legends of Ellaria. Although these mods are not official and may not be balanced, we sure had a lot of fun playing with them. Here are some of them.
Forspoken Looks Great But Feels Empty - HardcoreGamer
Overall, Forspoken is looking like it’ll be a competent open-world adventure game. Those who enjoy such will likely enjoy it a lot, but as things stand it’s doubtful that the game will leave a lasting impression on anyone who plays it. As for those who don’t typically like open-world adventure games, there’s nothing here to change one’s mind. Maybe the situation will change by January, but, right now, Forspoken is just “fine” and that’s all it is.
A Tale of Two Ashfalls: Controversy Ensues Between NetEase & Liithos - Wccftech
Yesterday, during IGN's Tokyo Game Show stream, NetEase Games and Legendary Star Studio unveiled Ashfall, an upcoming post-apocalyptic adventure shooter MMO game coming next year to PC (Steam), iOS, and Android devices.

Immediately upon hearing the game's title, we thought of another post-apocalyptic PvP/PvE game also called Ashfall announced not long ago by Liithos, a new studio founded by former PlayStation veterans. One of them would have to change the name, that's for sure, but as it turns out, there's more to it.
Five Video Game Sequels That Are a Step Down From Their First Entry
Fable II, while a decent button-mashing adventure game with broad but thin RPG elements, fell short of expectation on a technical level. And that’s without talking about the game, yet again, underdelivering on Peter Molyneux’s pre-launch promises.

Thanks for that Monkey Island article.
I don't quite like that art style that much (it reminds me of Shadow Play https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shadow_play , only coloured), but I'm sure I'll like the overall game. There's lots of humour in these few scenes already. ;)

WH40k: Rogue Trader - Initial Companion Reveals

So far Owlcat has revealed four of the companions that will be accompanying us on our mission!
Fextralife's Top RPG News of the Week

Assassin's Creed Massive Update, The Legend of Zelda Tears of the Kingdom Announced, PS5 Exclusive Rise of the Ronin, Octopath Traveler 2 Announced, Yakuza Like a Dragon Massive Update, Star Ocean The Divine Force Free Demo, Crisis Core Reunion Gameplay, One Piece Odyssey Release Date on this week of Top RPG News September 18, 2022
Weird West Developer on Complexity & Risk of Designing Immersive Sims

WolfEye Studios' Raphaël Colantonio breaks down the development of Weird West and explores his passion for the immersive sim genre.
Monster Hunter: Rise - Sunbreak Free Title Update 2 Revealed - Steam

The hunts are heating up in the Kingdom! Powerful new Rare and Subspecies descend upon the land, plus a twisted new form of Elder Dragon rises from the shadows in free Title Update 2, available September 29.
Warhammer 40,000: Rogue Trader Article/Interview - Techradar
Despite being very strong entries in the CRPG genre, both Pathfinder: Kingmaker and its follow-up, Wrath of the Righteous, suffer from a similar set of flaws. While telling deep, engaging stories in the finest tradition of Baldur’s Gate, both games are buried beneath an overdesigned and distracting strategy layer.

Marvel’s Midnight Suns Hero Spotlight - Meet Magik

The Queen of Limbo has arrived! Join Magik and the Midnight Suns when the game launches December 2!
Sovereign Syndicate How Our Steam Playtest and Demo Performed

Isaac and Tarmack from Crimson Herring discuss the recent playtest and Steam demo of Sovereign Syndicate, how feedback was received and actioned as well as how the demo has been performing overall.
What's Next For Pathfinder Video Games?

Talking a bit about my own opinions and speculation on the potential for a third Pathfinder game, as well as a bit about starfinder as well!

Like A Dragon: Ishin Hands-On Preview

RGG Studio's feudal take on its signature franchise is living up to the promise of being an all-star Yakuza game.
Wo Long: Fallen Dynasty Hands-On: A Faster, More Aggressive Soulslike

Wo Long: Fallen Dynasty takes the well trod soulslike formula and adds interesting new mechanics like the spirit meter and morale system

Colony Ship RPG - Development Update: System Changes
We are working on a systems update, to be released in early October. The main goal with this update is to re-arrange the system for the final content, and to adjust it based on your feedback.
MythForce The Controller Update Live - Beamdog
Greetings, friends. Project Director Luke here again with another exciting new update for MythForce. This one’s been a long time in the works and includes one of the most requested features since we launched. If you’ve been watching the MythForce socials, you know we’ve been teasing it for a while. And if you joined us at Gamescom or PAX West, you got a chance to try it out first-hand.
Miasma Chronicles looks to be a promising upcoming Tactical RPG - RPGSite
I should play more Tactical RPGs; this was my prevailing thought upon finishing up my time with the upcoming Miasma Chronicles during a 505 Games hands-on event last week in downtown LA. While I've certainly had my fair share of TRPGs that I've played, it's definitely a sub-genre that I could stand to better familiarize myself with, as The Bearded Ladies' most recent development has so thoroughly reminded me with its blend of stealth action, Tactical Grid combat, and RPG skill and level progression.
Diablo IV Closed Endgame Beta - PCInvasion
In a new blog post, Blizzard explains that the upcoming ‘Closed End Game Beta’ will only allow invites the the grind fiends. Those who have “recently spent significant amounts of time playing the end-game experiences of Diablo II: Resurrected and Diablo III” are the only ones eligible for the invite. If you’re a more casual ARPG enjoyer, then you’re probably out of luck.
Fallout 4 new DLC-sized fan expansion, featuring 30 new quests - DSO
Varangian Studio has released a new DLC-sized fan expansion for Fallout 4, called Galac-Tac Mercs and Music. This mod lets you continue the story of where Galac-Tac Retribution left off, and comes with new companions new armor, and new story.

Mortismal Gaming Soulstice - First Impressions

Talking a bit about my initial experiences with Soulstice, an action title, which released today!
5 reasons Forspoken Won’t Be Cringe

Eiyuden Chronicle: Hundred Heroes - Official Trailer

Get another look at Eiyuden Chronicle: Hundred Heroes in this latest trailer for the upcoming JRPG, including characters, gameplay, and more.
A Plague Tale: Requiem RTX ON - Exclusive First-Look

Watch this exclusive video showcasing the beauty of A Plague Tale: Requiem with AI-powered NVIDIA DLSS and stunning ray traced effects.
Torchlight: Infinite - David Brevik Joins the Team

Return To Monkey Island Review Roundup

Deathloop - Goldenloop Update: Official Game Update Trailer

Put an end to eternity with the GOLDENLOOP Update for DEATHLOOP— including a new ability, weapon, upgrades, cross-play matchmaking, and more! The path to freedom is GOLDEN— Do whatever it takes to break the timeloop.
Fallout 4 mod Star Wars-style DLC-size Expansion - PCGamesn
Fallout 4 mod Galac-Tac takes inspiration from Star Wars to add a new DLC-size expansion to the Bethesda apocalypse RPG, as we wait on a Starfield release date.
The Legend of Heroes: Trails from Zero Review - GodisaGeek
The Legend of Heroes: Trails from Zero is a spectacular JRPG with delightful combat and a story worth experiencing. The setting of Crossbell feels very unique in a genre known for epic globe trotting adventures, and exploring every nuance of the city as you help the SSS grow is an absolute joy. The visuals may detract from the experience for some, but if you can cope with them you’ll be rewarded with a JRPG masterpiece.
Star Ocean: The Divine Force is getting a playable demo - Nichegamer
The new demo is launching across Xbox One, Xbox Series X|S, PlayStation 4, and PlayStation 5 on September 20th. Fans can expect the demo to let you play through Raymond’s story until he gets to the first town – or roughly two hours of content.
Soulstice Review – Chimera May Cry - Wccftech
Combining a well-realized dark fantasy setting inspired by Claymore and Berserk and an engaging story with solid action gameplay inspired by some of the best character action games, Soulstice is a competent action title. Unfortunately, issues like the horrible camera and the mediocre handling of color-coded enemies and mechanics impact the experience, preventing it from being the great character action game it had the potential to be
Like a Dragon: Ishin Instead of Kenzan Interview - OneMoreGame
During Tokyo Game Show 2022, we (along with other media from Southeast Asia) got the chance to sit down with Director of Ryu Ga Gotoku Studio and Executive Producer Masayoshi Yokoyama & Yakuza Series Chief Producer Hiroyuki Sakamoto to talk about Like a Dragon: Ishin, why they decided to remake the game, why change to Unreal Engine, and what players can expect from the upcoming project.
The Best RPGs Playable on Steam Deck - RPGSite
The Valve Steam Deck is a great place to play RPGs, but it might be hard for players both new and old to Valve's ecosystem to figure out exactly where to start. While the PC handheld offers official support for a wide variety of RPGs, there are a number of games that players have confirmed are playable, even before Valve has gotten around to verifying it themselves - some of them playable out-of-the-box, and some only requiring some minor tweaks to get working. If you've just picked up your own Steam Deck, or are trying to figure out which games you'll want to play on yours once it arrives, we've put together a list of recommended RPGs, based on their availability on other platforms, official compatibility, and more.
Star Ocean Divine Force (Okay Maybe I Was Wrong About This One) -TheGamer
I haven’t been very kind to Star Ocean: The Divine Force in recent months. It seems to be a visually incoherent mess, features painfully generic characters, and isn't interested in fixing the series’ fractured reputation. As someone who grew up loving these space-faring anime adventures, for decades now I’ve been crossing my fingers that Tri-Ace will strike lightning once again and deliver a JRPG worth caring for. To my surprise, that time may be upon us.

Last edited:
A Plague Tale: Requiem Hands On Preview

Just a few minutes into our A Plague Tale: Requiem hands-on and Amicia de Rune is shin-deep in shit. While that would be an apt description for the sequel to a stealth horror game about avoiding ravenous rats, it's also quite literally what's happening.
Warhammer: Darktide 40K Hands on Interview & Gameplay

Earlier this year, we learned that Warhammer 40k: Darktide offers Left 4 Dead-style storytelling with over 75,000 lines of dialogue already written. Developed by Swedish outfit Fatshark – of War of the Roses, and Warhammer: Vermintide fame – Darktide is a gorgeous, gritty, and often grueling first-person action game that tasks four players with investigating a suspected Chaos infiltration on the planet Atoma Prime in the Hive City of Tertium. We had the chance to play it at Gamescom 2022 and Joe Donnelly and Mahin Kesore spill all!
Forspoken Gameplay Preview We've played it!

We’ve recently been hands-on with Forspoken: The upcoming action role-playing game from Luminous Productions and Square Enix and we need to talk about the combat! Speedy, intricate, and endlessly satisfying It’s a constant barrage of interwoven spells reminiscent of the best of Breath of the Wild.
Pentiment Early Hands-on Preview

We got to play Pentiment a little early at this years Gamescom event. Here is what we thought of Obsidian's latest game coming to xbox gamepass in 2023.

The Legend of Heroes: Trails from Zero Review - The Final Verdict

Objectively, some things prevent Trails from Zero from being perfect, and it may not be to every RPG fan's taste. But as a fan of Falcom and the series, this is pretty much it.
IGN's Soulstice Video Review

If you just can't get enough of action-slashers in the vein of Devil May Cry, Soulstice is a competent action game, but it's brought down by a bland setting and tedious level design.
GamingBolt's Soulstice Video Review - The Final Verdict

While the characters and story don’t do enough to push it over the top, Soulstice delivers a great action game that just about anybody can enjoy.
Pathfinder: WotR - Enhanced Edition UI & QoL Improvements

Talking a bit about some of the specific features dropping with the enhanced edition on sept 29th!

The Valiant Releases on PC October 19th - RPGSite

Sharpen your sword, saddle your horse, and don your armor: medieval RTS The Valiant will be out on PC on October 19th, 2022. The game's focus is on intense tactical battles, fought by a small number of specialized troops, instead of massive armies clashing together. The Valiant offers a 16-mission-long story campaign, a new game+ mode, a cooperative "Last Man Standing" game mode, and - last but not least - PVP mayhem with up to 4 players.
The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel – Northern War Debut Trailer

Lavi is a girl born and raised in North Ambria State, the poorest region in the northwestern part of Zemuria.

To protect her hometown, and to prove she is different from her grandfather Vlad—who was once hailed as a hero, but betrayed North Ambria—she volunteers to serve in the renowned Northern Jaegers, the largest jaeger corps in the continent.

Devoted to her duties to the point that she repeatedly breaches discipline, Lavi is grouped into a platoon with Marty, Iseria, and Talion and ordered to undertake a reckless undercover mission into the Erebonian Empire.
Path of Exile: Lake of Kalandra - Patch v3.19.1c Preview
Later this week, we're planning to release the 3.19.1c update with some of the changes to Archnemesis monsters and Kalandra League we mentioned in our news post last week. The patch also includes further Archnemesis changes and some bug fixes. Check out the patch notes below.
SpellForce: Conquest of Eo - Developer Insight #1 Journey to the Dark Tower
This is the first installment of our Dev Log, where we update you with news and insights about the game and design process (a.k.a. ramblings of a game developer). After we returned from Gamescom with a lot of enthusiastic feedback and had the chance to watch gamers play and enjoy the game while lurking behind them, we stuck our collective heads together and looked at what we could do better.

Last edited:
Pretty sure that Northern War thing is an anime, not a game.

It's also strange that the description I read says it's an adaptation of the first Trails of Cold Steel game, given that the chracters are completely different and so is the premise.

Correct I just found the link and didn't read it. It indeed looks different. Though it looks to be told from another perceptive of the war. So it's understandably it's different.:nod:

Last edited:
Mortismal Gaming The DioField Chronicle - First Impressions

Talking a bit about my initial experiences with the release version of the title just a bit ahead of it's launch!
New Slaves of Magic Trailer and Demo - Steam

Humanity has been invaded by otherworldly forces using magic. Can you lead the resistance against the oppressors in this fantasy turn-based tactical strategy game to save humanity from becoming slaves of magic?
The Lord of the Rings Online: Before the Shadow Available for Pre-purchase

Reveal the mysteries of the One Ring as you venture through the reedy fens of Swanfleet and the moors of Cardolan. Journey alongside Boromir to Rivendell, and run afoul of the Witch-King and Nazul in their pursuit of "Baggins" and the peaceful land of the "Shire" as shadow begins to pour forth from the land of Mordor!
Hellgate: London - London 2038 Development Update #34
Hello, hello! As foretold last time, these last two weeks ended up being quite less productive. Because well, they only offered 2 free days, plus some stolen spare change here and there. Still, some work has been done, so let’s dive right in.

No Place for Bravery Released - Steam

Thorn, an old warrior worn down by decades of vim and violence, roams a world undone in search of his lost daughter. Dodge, parry & cleave your way out of brutal clashes in this 2D top-down action RPG, and discover the bone-chilling tale of Thorn's crusade to make his family whole again.
TactiCon 2022 Underway this Week - TactiCon 2022

TactiCon runs from September 22 through to September 26, and will feature panels involving over 20 speakers, discounts on games old, new, and upcoming, as well as live streams and announcements. Over 100 games are participating in TactiCon’s first year, and we’re very excited!
ARK: Survival Evolved and Gloomhaven for Free on the Epic Games Store
ARK: Survival Evolved - Stranded on the shores of a mysterious island, you must learn to survive. Use your cunning to kill or tame the primeval creatures roaming the land, and encounter other players to survive, dominate... and escape!

Whether you are drawn to Gloomhaven by the call of adventure or by an avid desire for gold glimmering in the dark, your fate will surely be the same. Gloomhaven, the digital adaptation of the acclaimed board game, mixes Tactical-RPG and dungeon-crawling.
Stray Blade feels like a sword still in need of some honing - RPGSite
For such a small studio, I genuinely hope that Stray Blade can find itself in a more polished spot by the next chance I have to see it. These types of impressions always feel the worst to report, when you can tell that a game has had a ton of love poured into it - but ultimately what you'd played just doesn't stand out from the crowd. Stray Blade isn't a bad game, so far, but it's hard to see what awaits us out the other end of development.
Cyberpunk 2077 Sale Surge due to Edgerunners Anime

Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind Auto-Enhanced with Nvidia RTX Remix AI

During their presentation for the Nvidia 4090, Omniverse was presented and we got a glimpse into Morrowind being auto-enhanced with Nvidia RTX Remix AI. Here are the results.
TGS 2022 Guns Undarkness Interview with Shoji Meguro - Gematsu
At Tokyo Game 2022, we got a chance to sit down with former ATLUS composer Shoji Meguro to discuss his first independent game Guns Undarkness, which was recently successfully funded on Kickstarter.
The Legend of Heroes: Trails series sales top seven million - Gematsu
Total sales for the Trails series of The Legend of Heroes games have surpassed seven million units worldwide, developer Falcom announced.
Babylon’s Fall is now being given away for free at some stores - VGC
Babylon’s Fall, the troubled Platinum and Square Enix RPG, is reportedly being given away for free at some GameStop stores.

Back
Top Bottom