Cyberpunk 2077 - CD Projekt apologizes

I haven't finished the game yet, but I like the english dialogues and voice acting as well. I'm not a native speaker though.
Jonny is stereotypical, yes. But altough I haven't finished I already experienced moments where the badass shell cracked up and an empathic human being shined through. It's subtle, but it's there.

I rather have a "problem" with male V's voice acting. While imho it's also well done I have the feeling that it doesn't fit my character's appearance. (I hope that makes sense.)
But that's obviously not a problem of the V's voice acting itself, but an inherent problem with having voice acting for the main character in the first place. My problem could quite easily have been solved by allowing to change V's appearance during the game. I don't understand why they didn't include it.

I didnt experience much of bugs in the game, besides of general wonkiness in the engine, like gravity doing weird stuff, autopilot doing stupid things and so on.
The main issues with the game I have are:

-Mechanics are quite crappy. This includes the whole crafting and item system which is super flawed but also the character system and balancing, and things like Cops spawning in your face

-Feedback of the game is quite bad. From incorrectly displayed numbers in the interface, over weird button choices (middle mousebuttons to remove mods without being mentioned) and a general lack of introductions of systems to the player. Not sure if it was ever explained on how to switch your car.

-Sidequests are extremely dull. They almost feel like randomly generated, repeatable quests from MMOs or so:
*RingRing* "Go into Building X,Y,Z KIll/Find/Rescue Person/Item XYZ."
*Goes into building, does stuff*
*RingRing* "Thanks, here is your reward"

Maybe one out of 7 or so of the sidequests are actually interesting and have more detailed and back and forth in dialogues. Like the quest with your neighbour or the quest whith the crotch implant. But most are super simple and boring and they basically clearly split their writing and the actual story into shards, which don't require voice acting and shows even more that "here, if you are interested you can also read about the story, but don't worry, it's completely redundant"

-Exploration of the world isn't very interesting. Not a super strong point, but imho the world design in Bethesda games or games like Elex is much more interesting.
To me Cyberpunk feels like these scenes where you got hordes of combatants in a battle and all looks cool. But if you look closer you see that they all got the same face and it's just a generic crowd. Cyberpunk 2077 does an excellent job in providing good scenery and the panorama views of the city are great. But the exploration of this scenery doesn't feel great. Where in Bethesdas Fallout games you find little things everywhere, like these Teddys with a cigar on a toilet, a little house made out of pencils on a desk, skelletons of a family in their bed, remains of a end of the world party on a radio dish and so on - it feels like Cyberpunk has almost nothing like this. Of course the automatic quests prompts dont help either as you never feel like you discover anything special.

My problem could quite easily have been solved by allowing to change V's appearance during the game. I don't understand why they didn't include it.

I remember that in the start of the game on char creation you are told that your looks matter. So maybe that's why.

Just that I don't remember that your looks actually mattered at some point.

@Kordanor;, I think you mean the "Gigs" when you write about boring, generic, side guests. These are analogous to "Witcher contracts" in TW3. I did like them. I had no expectations for those side quests and roleplayed them as my characters' everyday business. They did tell small stories about the world similarly to TW3. Compared to other games (Ubisoft mostly), I find this approach for generic quests better as the small story was my reward rather than whatever you'd get from the quest. This made me do the gigs even though I would be over-leveled. As discussed above, the bad itemization system made me not care about the loot at all and I did not even notice what was the reward for a given gig. The gigs also enables playing the game only for a short while if you don't have time for a longer session.

Otherwise, nice analysis. I found similar things far bigger problems than the voice acting, which was generally good IMO. You did not mention the extremely shitty controls and physics for vehicles nor the filler NPC AI that sucked.

I was throwing all "yellow icons" on the map into one bucket there. Obviously the blue ones are supposed to be generic, but the yellow ones are what you would call sidequests in every other game (well except of the "buy this car-quests").

I am playing the game with German localization and in there it seems like main characters are done fine. People just just on the street can be somewhat cringey though.

Driving physics...yeah, feels like you are driving around in a bathtub with soap as wheels but tbh I don't see it as major issue. ^^
Maybe if you play the game differently or have a stronger focus on that.

Can't say anything bad about the enemy AI. Nothing good either. Maybe they got problems finding their way to you here and there, but as I just shoot them through the walls this hasn''t been a major issue popping up...which I guess says more about other aspects of the game ^^

The blue ones are trash mobs in need of punishing. They are not guests as such. The yellow ones are guests (except the car spam as you write) including "Gigs" that are indicated using yellow symbols once you have found out what they are. The side guests are those involving other NPCs and significant chunks of the story or introduction to game mechanics such as brawling, shooting, and driving. They are similar to "main guests" in many other games. All this can be seen from the quest log.

Man, why did they have to mark everything on the map...? This MMO trend in "RPGs" has to end.

I actually liked the game a lot. I also think that if you compare the game to other open world rpg's it's a big step up. The side quests are a lot better, some of them have also a lot follow up's.

But also the open world quest (blue icons and gig's) are more detailed than what you would find in most Ubisoft games. I have done my playthrough mostly by sneaking around. I also took my time reading shards and emails on the computers and there is a lot of back story and detail in there. For instance one of the quest gives that calls you is actually referred to you by judy, and you can find the mail on judy's pc about this. The game is full of this, you can find more at https://www.reddit.com/r/LowSodiumC...ompilation_on_how_the_world_is_alive_and_not/

If you would compare this game to recent crpg's like pathfinder then yes it looks like the game falls short. But that's not what the game is. It's an open world rpg and at that it actually does a very great job. Actually this is the first open world rpg in a long time that I actually managed to finish, in all the other I lost interest after a while (of course the somewhat short main story helps with this). I'm also not a person that plays games a second time but I'm actually can't wait for a second playthrough, just waiting for the fist free dlc's. There were just to many times in the game that I wondered what would happen if I did things differently.

Christ man you sound like a paid shill for CDPR.:D

Look I liked the game as well but it was nothing revolutionary.

It's basically Witcher III 2.0 with the same mechanics and design.:p

Where do I sign?
The bottom-line of course. Just suspicious for a first post with a name like Pjotr. Anyway it wouldn't be the first time I've seen paid shills defending a game. Steam is full of them.

Last edited:
Christ man you sound like a paid shill for CDPR.:D

Look I liked the game as well but it was nothing revolutionary.

It's basically Witcher III 2.0 with the same mechanics and design.:p

Actually I'm a long time reader of this website but never had a reason to post. But seeing how this game butchered by some people and all the hate I just couldn't resist to finally make an account.

And I never said the game was revolutionary, just that it's big step up from what you usually get in an open world game. Calling it Witcher 3 2.0 is actually a good comparison :)

CDPR employees admit the game was only in development for 3-4 years.

Link - https://www.theverge.com/2021/1/16/22234452/cyberpunk-2077-development-2016-pc-console-projekt-red
Jason Schreier of Bloomberg interviewed more than 20 current and former CD Projekt staff, and found that the game’s development was plagued by unrealistic deadlines and technical issues. The company “hit the reset button” on the game in 2016, but a demo of Cyberpunk 2077 showed at E3 in 2018 was “almost entirely fake,” according to the report. The development also suffered from the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic, with programmers on the PC version and testers of the console version working separately from each other.
Man no wonder the whole development was a mess, or we sure this is not EA?

Me as well but like I said multiple times already it proves my mismanagement theory again. Hope CDPR learn a valuable lesson as this will haunt them for years to come.

Dammit I said I wouldn't respond to you again.:p

I played that game with a RTX3090 and the patch 1.06.

I liked it for most part, the main quest, while too short, is fine. The NPCS are good. Some of the side quests are just great. I liked the voices and so on.
The game for obvious reasons on my rig looks awesome and gorgeous. The city is magnificent.

But damn if I feel somehow conned.
The city has absolutely no interaction beside the quests.
The game is not really an open-world with consequences, if you want to fight gangs you go right where they are and you can have really nice fights.
But do they try to hunt you down or look for you because you are slaughtering them right and left? No. If it's not scripted in a mission/quest, it doesn't happen.
Are the dialogues worth the time? No. Choices change nearly nothing or so most of the time.

I really think also they overdid that Keanu Reeves thing. It's a short linear experience with side activities.
I had fun, but this was not a RPG or an open world experience.

One other thing which is going in my nerves is the police.

I have not played any of the recent GTA games but I think the implementation of the police in Cyberpunk 2077 is pretty bad.

I felt reminded of good old ultima and people yelling "Vendor Buy the Bank Guard", where a guard then instantly appeared and killed you.

The police in Cyberpunk feels similar. If you accidently shoot at a civilian the police will basically spawn in your face. On the other hand if you are driving around and accidently kill a civilian while driving you just need to drive another 200m and they forget about you.
So all they do is annoy you. They do not feel authentic at all. It's just always super annoying when you accidently hit a civilian.

One other thing which is going in my nerves is the police.
So all they do is annoy you. They do not feel authentic at all. It's just always super annoying when you accidently hit a civilian.

Well it hurts to say that somehow but the police is done better in GTA. They have to actually come to you and catch you and the response is gradual.
I had also that Ultima Online teleportation feeling too.

It feels rushed and a bit stupid.

Well it hurts to say that somehow but the police is done better in GTA. They have to actually come to you and catch you and the response is gradual.

It's done better in Watch Dogs as well. They arrive in vehicles and search for you rather than magically knowing where you are.

Another annoyance is when you're doing one the police missions and accidentally step outside of the mission area causing you to get flagged as breaking the law for having your gun drawn.

Back
Top Bottom