D:OS2 D:OS 2 - need advise!

Divinity: Original Sin 2
I guess I need to rephrase:

It's like sex in that it's best when it's a shared experience.

As for my own personal experiences, I can certainly say I've tried the solo experience a hell of a lot more than the shared one.

I picked Lohse for my main character. I thought she had a great story. I also very much enjoyed the red prince.

The first 2/3 of the game is GREAT but then the latter third is kind of dull unfortunately.

Nope... I did use a mod for increasing default walking/running speeds, though. I also used the Bedroll mod where you get Source points back on rest - which is a LOT more convenient than having to teleport back to the place where you get it. Both are free, but the Bedroll solution is a hell of a lot more convenient.

Oh, so how do you normally recover source? I'm still at Fort Joy with the stupid collar on.

Btw, how important is "tank" character in this game? I just realise half of my party is battle mage or mage lol.

Oh, so how do you normally recover source? I'm still at Fort Joy with the stupid collar on.

You will see later on. But you will find a couple of areas that have permanent source recharges - you just have to travel back and forth to get them.

It's sort of like Pillars of Eternity and the supply system - where, if you were in trouble, you had to go back and buy more supplies.

To me, that's moron-level design - because naturally players will do that if they want to optimise performance.

If you want to penalize players for wanting to use their fun powers, then just make it impossible at certain stages. Don't make it a minor inconvenience and force them to waste time getting source back.

Btw, how important is "tank" character in this game? I just realise half of my party is battle mage or mage lol.

Well, on the higher difficulty levels - it's pretty important to have someone to soak up damage or provoke enemies. That said, in D:OS2 - the mechanic isn't very reliable and a lot of fights are extremely chaotic and unpredictable.

So, I don't think it's as important as being able to heal and stay safe through certain source powers.

That said, I haven't played it since shortly after release - and I know they've made a ton of balance changes.

Whatever it is that Sebille did that pissed you off, is that programmed to happen each time? So far, I'm liking Lohse more than Sebille..

It triggers if you talk to a specific NPC with her in the party (unless they changed it in a later version). It's understandable considering her background though (she's been through some awful things).

Saying that I liked playing as Sebille.

I personally think it destroys balance. I don't know what difficulty Dart played on but I played on tactical and up to the last area the game really isn't that difficult (combat wise). There are a few areas where you can't recharge source or 'easily leave and come back' and this would hurt balance. But do what you enjoy. I personally enjoyed the challenge of combat.

You will see later on. But you will find a couple of areas that have permanent source recharges - you just have to travel back and forth to get them.

It's sort of like Pillars of Eternity and the supply system - where, if you were in trouble, you had to go back and buy more supplies.

To me, that's moron-level design - because naturally players will do that if they want to optimise performance.

If you want to penalize players for wanting to use their fun powers, then just make it impossible at certain stages. Don't make it a minor inconvenience and force them to waste time getting source back.

Well, on the higher difficulty levels - it's pretty important to have someone to soak up damage or provoke enemies. That said, in D:OS2 - the mechanic isn't very reliable and a lot of fights are extremely chaotic and unpredictable.

So, I don't think it's as important as being able to heal and stay safe through certain source powers.

That said, I haven't played it since shortly after release - and I know they've made a ton of balance changes.

I personally think it destroys balance. I don't know what difficulty Dart played on but I played on tactical and up to the last area the game really isn't that difficult (combat wise). There are a few areas where you can't recharge source or 'easily leave and come back' and this would hurt balance. But do what you enjoy. I personally enjoyed the challenge of combat.

Are you sure you're ok with me doing what I want? :)

In any case, I'm very happy you're so lenient with me.

Sure, there might have been one or two cases out of a thousand where it wasn't possible to go back - but I didn't notice any in the first 50 hours or so, where we played without that mod.

Also, in most cases you could simply steal source from the bodies lying around. Clearly, you're meant to be able to get source back in almost every single battle.

Once I did find the mod, though, I can remember quite a sigh of relief from all three players.

I don't think a couple of instances in a 100 hour game where we might have had source powers when we weren't supposed to is quite enough to "destroy" balance.

But I played with two other people - and that makes it a bit more annoying when you all have to go back and forth, especially when you have an extra companion on top of multiple party members. That means you have to wait and coordinate where and how - because one member never seemed to realise how the game actually worked :)

That said, we all have our own views of what's "balance destroying" - and I can certainly imagine a certain kind of person having a problem with this level of convenience.

What difficulty did you play on ? Story mode ?

Are you sure you're ok with me doing what I want? :)

In any case, I'm very happy you're so lenient with me.

Sure, there might have been one or two cases out of a thousand where it wasn't possible to go back - but I didn't notice any in the first 50 hours or so, where we played without that mod.

Also, in most cases you could simply steal source from the bodies lying around. Clearly, you're meant to be able to get source back in almost every single battle.

Once I did find the mod, though, I can remember quite a sigh of relief from all three players.

I don't think a couple of instances in a 100 hour game where we might have had source powers when we weren't supposed to is quite enough to "destroy" balance.

But I played with two other people - and that makes it a bit more annoying when you all have to go back and forth, especially when you have an extra companion on top of multiple party members. That means you have to wait and coordinate where and how - because one member never seemed to realise how the game actually worked :)

That said, we all have our own views of what's "balance destroying" - and I can certainly imagine a certain kind of person having a problem with this level of convenience.

It is relevant but i don't really care if you answer. It is obvious that your play style is different than mine. That's fine but you don't have to toss in sarcasm to make yourself feel more comfortable with your position.

If you can explain how that's relevant to what I'm saying, I'll gladly answer your question.

It is relevant but i don't really care if you answer. It is obvious that your play style is different than mine. That's fine but you don't have to toss in sarcasm to make yourself feel more comfortable with your position.

One might also say that you don't have to be so arrogant about your preferences - and narrowminded in terms of how people might be different.

But we can't have everything, can we.

@you; - it sounds like you are quite upset with the idea of others playing it with mods first time around even though you keep saying "whatever you enjoy" :p

Well, I have 2 reason for wanting to try out mod that increase party size.

1. I'm concerned that I might struggle through each encounter since I have nfi how to build decent character. Btw is there a proper character sheet in game? I only saw stat summary but no info on what class each characters is etc. I think I am battle mage and I chose default class for all other NPCs (so assuming Ifan is a wayfarer, Sebile is a rogue, Beast is also a battle mage). Not sure if this is good enough party composition...

2. I want to experience most of the companion story at one go, since my second playthrough will be a co-op with hubby as two lone wolves.

IIRC, my group tried both the hardest and the second-hardest difficulty - though I honestly forget which one we settled on.

In any case, the game was pretty forgiving on that one - so if you pick an easier one, it really shouldn't be a big deal - certainly not if you go with 6 party members.

If you got through Kingmaker - a low difficulty playthrough of this should definitely be doable almost no matter what.

As for character sheet - yeah, there's definitely one in-game, though I don't immediately recall having to look hard for it. The character class is really only the starting skills and active abilities.

But each of the story characters have one or two unique abilities, IIRC.

We all created our own custom characters, though - so I couldn't tell you too much about the story characters.

I'm not upset; it just seems odd. You really don't need a proper build on the two easiest levels - they are really easy and forgiving. I would think (but haven't played) kingmaker is a much harder game.
-
I can understand the draw to have all 6 companions to get all 6 stories (I think that was the purpose of the mod and one of the flaws with the original design). I also think you will likely find the game pretty easy unless the mod scales encounters.
-
I wouldn't fret over a proper build unless you are playing on the hardest difficulties - the combat just isn't that difficult. For my games I tend to use one warrior, one archer and two casters - but you can build them any way you want. At the end of act 1 - as I mentioned - you can respect your characters anyway you want as many times as you want.

@you; - it sounds like you are quite upset with the idea of others playing it with mods first time around even though you keep saying "whatever you enjoy" :p

Well, I have 2 reason for wanting to try out mod that increase party size.

1. I'm concerned that I might struggle through each encounter since I have nfi how to build decent character. Btw is there a proper character sheet in game? I only saw stat summary but no info on what class each characters is etc. I think I am battle mage and I chose default class for all other NPCs (so assuming Ifan is a wayfarer, Sebile is a rogue, Beast is also a battle mage). Not sure if this is good enough party composition…

2. I want to experience most of the companion story at one go, since my second playthrough will be a co-op with hubby as two lone wolves.

Hmm... guess I got overly scared about the game difficulty. I just remember reading the combat is quite tough but maybe that's for tactician only? I'm playing on explorer mode atm.

Anyway, thanks for the reply @you; @Darth Tagnan;

Hmm… guess I got overly scared about the game difficulty. I just remember reading the combat is quite tough but maybe that's for tactician only? I'm playing on explorer mode atm.

Anyway, thanks for the reply @you; @Darth Tagnan;

Combat difficulty is as subjective as anything else.

If you understand the mechanics and you take the time to study the system - I think it's a little too easy to abuse.

Obviously, people who're not that good at tactics and RPG systems will tend to find it much harder.

I played Kingmaker (release version) on what constitutes "Core Rules" - and that was MUCH harder than the hardest difficulty in D:OS2.

But that was a few weeks after launch. I'm sure they've changed a bunch of stuff in terms of balance - for both games.

Combat difficulty is as subjective as anything else.

If you understand the mechanics and you take the time to study the system - I think it's a little too easy to abuse.

Obviously, people who're not that good at tactics and RPG systems will tend to find it much harder.

I played Kingmaker (release version) on what constitutes "Core Rules" - and that was MUCH harder than the hardest difficulty in D:OS2.

But that was a few weeks after launch. I'm sure they've changed a bunch of stuff in terms of balance - for both games.
Oh yeah, there are power builds in D: OS2 that break the game in ways Kingmaker can't really be broken. At least there used to be. Haven't played it in a while.

Personally, I actually enjoy that aspect, as the difference between the best and worst builds is massive.

At any rate, I wouldn't worry about it, @purpleblob;. Already on the first island, there are a few fights that will let you know roughly where the difficulty of the game is. It doesn't really get harder. It's not like Kingmaker, which has a jump in difficulty near the end.

Back
Top Bottom